Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1936 Plymouth Engine and Trans Swap

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Wilkiedee, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Wilkiedee

Wilkiedee
    from Modesto CA

I want to put a later model MOPAR Flathead Six engine in my 36 Plymouth sedan. I am looking at installing a 218 CID or a 230 CID. Should I run the existing transmission or is there a later model manual transmission that would provide better service that I could install without major modifications? Thanks for any suggestions/recommendations.

2. 73RR

73RR

AFAIK the 39 and newer are all similar in terms of the external stuff but not sure about earlier models so you might need to find someone familiar with the 36. Try George Asche at 814.354.2621

In terms of the trans, you need to keep in mind that the 201-208-218 has a different flywheel than the bigger engines. If you mix-n-match you will have starter to ring gear engagement issues. The flywheel was changed to match a difference in the crank flange. Yes, generally, you can swap the 230 crank and rods into a 201-208-218. Also, keep in mind that the Canadian 218 is a different engine than the US 218...

3. moose

moose

Another thing, after the war all the car three speeds were column shifted(some trucks had top loaders, I think), and the floor shifters are very hard to find. I had to make one for mine.

George Asche can probably set you up with an OD, but that is expensive.

4. Wilkiedee

Wilkiedee
    from Modesto CA

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it!!!

5. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

6. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I did the same swap in my '36 Plymouth 4 years ago. '58 Dodge L230 block, '54 Dodge 218 flywheel. I had to drill a coupe holes in the front floating power motor mount bracket ('36 used different spacing on top than the '37-up), exhaust manifold flange was larger. I adapted the L230 crankshaft damper to the wide belt crank pulley (if the pulley sealing surface is worn, a 318 repair sleeve work perfectly, and I blocked the by-pass in the wide belt water pump as the later short 6 cylinder blocks have an internal bypass in the front of the block and head. I rebuilt the original 3 speed and it has worked great. The '35-'38 synchros are a bit slow (they were made for low speed, heavy flywheel shifting), but no problems so far. If you want to keep the floor shift, I think the '39 P7 floor shift transmission had more modern synchros, but no provision for the clutch release linkage on the back of the trans. case as in '36. I'm getting ready to try a '36 Desoto Warner Gear T86-1A floorshift 30% overdrive trans.

7. belvedere666

belvedere666
    from fullerton

What’s it take to make a floor shifter for my 218 3 speed? Is this something you can be hired to make for me?

8. moose

moose