Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51’ ford f3 questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bored Over, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Bored Over

Bored Over

Long story short, was kind of keeping on eye on a f1 locally. I have this f3 I could use for some of the parts. Well, now I’m thinking why not fix up the f3? I have a sbc sitting in the shop. What would I need to temporarily replace the 8ba flathead. I assume I can use a hurst mount on the front? But what do I need to adapt it to the transmission?

harley jim likes this.
  2. 8flat

8flat

Not sure on the engine swap parts needed (I think it's a simple adapter for bellhousing and then motor mounts), but one thing to keep in mind, the F3 transmission had no synchros. F1 transmissions did. I started with an F3 but swapped it for an F1 3 speed (no granny low) with floor shifter, much nicer to drive around town. Just an FYI. Good luck and keep us posted on build pics!

harley jim likes this.
  3. Bored Over

Bored Over

Not tooworried about the transmission at this time. It’s meant to be a “father and son’s “ project. Just needing some info to get parts so that we can do one project at a time. Future plans are to swap out springs from an f1, front disc brake upgrade., f-100 rear axle and a re-wire. I want to do each task at a time so they don’t lose interest. Get it running and safe, then worry about the other things.

Boneyard51 likes this.