Register now to get rid of these ads!

pics of model a's with six bangers ,lets see em

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hvychvy, Aug 5, 2006.

1. hvychvy

hvychvy

thinkin of putin a 235 in my 29 coupe,does anyone have any pics?

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

3. ol fueler

ol fueler

Thats not a very nice thing to say --- even if it is pretty much spot on !!:D

4. Dirty2

Dirty2

To each their on.... I think it would be cool. I would like to see picts.

5. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

I know this is going to come as a shock to some, but not everyone used flatheads back in the day.

Go for it, I think they look good.

Dont have any pics tho.

6. Kriz

Kriz

Id like to check out some 6's. Cheap and easy to come by is always cool.

7. peanut

peanut

i say go for it!!!! sounds good to me!!!!!!! i thinks my grandmother has two or three sbc's in the back yard maybe you can get one of them chrisntx? now that i'm thinking about it, who does NOT have a sbc in there back yard?????

8. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Me, but only cause I dont have a backyard. But there is one in my garage. :D

9. a1930ford

a1930ford

Man, that is brave to think, let alone to suggest on this board. I notice you did not ask for opinions, but just for pics. I love it when the thread shifts to opinions instead. Well, here is mine to add to the lot:

I like it, but, then, I am putting a Toyota 3T-C engine into my A, so the razzing from the traditional crowd is gonna' follow you for a bit. I like the non-traditional stuff being tried out every now and again. Keeps the traditiohnalists on their toes. Flatties and 350's are sort of the cookie-cutter of tradition these days. Be interesting to see how the hobby changes, as nothing is stagnant, so putting a 235 into a Model A ain't really all that radical, I'll bet. Shoot, adjusting to rat rods and Volksrods is probably just as hard to accept, but the hobby is always changing. Just be aware that there is always someone out there to give you the razzberries for breaking from the mold. It is as if their personal opinion is the law of the land and was something you really needed to make the car what you wanted it to be for yourself.

You may check out Patrick's and have some luck in finding pics of some A's with a 235 in them. I have seen them in the past, but don't recall just where. Maybe the inlinners website.

My reason to not like the 235 so much as a first choice in the Model A, is that you can sink a ton of money into it and still just have a hopped up, antique engine. The parts for it are not quite as readily available as one would hope. You can still find many a junkyard block or entire engine, but there is less and less made specifically for it, as far as I can tell. I have had at least three '54 Chevy's with it, and installed one into a '48 Chevy pickup. It is a nice engine for what it is, but unless i just happened to have a freeby access to one, I think I'd consider something else as a first choice. For me, it was an ideal driver type engine, but not a full bore race type engine. Still, it is all in what you want to make of it for yourself. This was the very reason I got away from my first thought of using a 231 engine in my A. It would have been different, but after the outlay, it just would have been too difficult to keep up, I suspected. I guess when you get down to it, the flattie engine is in the same boat. Still, it has more available parts, but after all you sink into it, it will remain an antique engine that gets older each and every day, and NOS parts gradually get harder and harder to locate.

Actually, I like all of the engine/tranny combos out there. You should have seen the reaction when someone suggested using a diesel at the Fordbarn site once. Me, I think it all depends on what you are looking for and what you have available...............change to spend on power and bling also helps, as does having the approval and support of the wife and whomever.
    Huey

10. hvychvy

hvychvy

thanks for all the replies,i'm just thinking it might be something different.i just really dig their looks,i got one in my 54,you can really dress them nice,three carbs and such.still throwing the idea around,there is one here in town that is a real good price,just tryin to get some suggestions,ideas and hopefully pics.

11. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Go ahead and do it,There are more Flatties now than ever before. SBC are like bellybuttons everyone has one. I myself have a '29 Tudor and on the garage floor is a 292 w/a T-5 tranny.I like to be a little different, I don't follow the leader.

12. evilgenius

evilgenius

13. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Damn dude you always rain on everyone parade.

Inliners look great and run strong. I'll be running one. I won't say what brand since it will get be booed of this thread, but I have side drafts for it, and those are always cool. To me anyways.

14. I'm putting a 235 in a '27 T, all I have are mock up pics right now. Once i get the thing rolling, and the real motor in it instead of the mock up motor, I plan on posting a thread.

As for the "it's not traditional" guys- check the covers of Hot Rod Magazine from the day- there was MANY a cool inline used. Flatheads may have been easy and plentiful, but some inlines were FAST. I think it was June or July '54 Hot Rod cover that had the Hilborn injected, crossflow head Chevy in Harry Warner's '34 FORD ROADSTER. As a side note, that car went through Barrett Jackson two years ago with an INCORRECT for the car, flathead Ford.

15. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

This should shut all you detractors up!!

The unfinished one is mine, which is completely blown apart, to do the body repairs. Started stealing it out, so should have some pics of it to post soon.

Attached Files:

16. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

The A above (previous post) with the teardrop is mine. I just couldnt do another V8 in my life!
    Its a 302 GMC , saginaw four speed and quick change, runs great with a killer torque curve.

17. hvychvy

hvychvy

thanks for the pics,that's what i needed.

18. 3bytheknee

3bytheknee
    from Sonora, CA

Yes, from the salt in 2003, a nice sedan with an in-liner with an automatic. It was a smooth quiet rod, just clean. Didn't even have duals or a glasspack.

Attached Files:

19. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Kinda thinking of doing something similar, I have a "spare" 63 Valiant with a 225 slanty and a pushbutton 904... and a shot at a solid 31 Model A Coupe.

- Joe

20. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Here is a pic of mine. It is a 230c.i. out of a 64 chevelle. It runs pretty strong, for what it is. This pic was taken at the HAMB drags. I would tell you what it ran but; after I paid to race and pulled in my pit I noticed my radiator was leaking pretty damn bad. I sure didnt want to leak antifreeze on the starting line like a jackass, so i sat out racing it. Dropped off the radiator tonight at the rad. shop.

Attached Files:

21. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Hey Bubba - are all of your carbs hooked up?

- Joe

22. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

I saw your car last weekend. I thought it was cool. Nice job. The only thing cooler would be it sitting in my driveway. :)

23. borndead327

borndead327

my old pickem up

Attached Files:

24. Kinky6

Kinky6

Anyone have a photo of Pat Swanson's A roadster w/ the dressed to the hilt 235" Wayne 12 port? That's a nice example.

:cool:

25. The 235 is my favorite engine of all time.

26. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Yep I've got 2 pictures, but I'm too stupid with computers to reduce them.

Can anyone help????

27. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Thanks. Oh sittin in your driveway can be possible, i gotta finish my dragster for next year. cant wait.

28. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

What could be kooler than an inliner? Flat Ford and Hudsen sixes and Jimmie OHVs with lotsa carbs and alyouminium parts come to mind. Go for it.

29. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

that is sick! In a good way, I mean fierce! :D Love the exhaust

30. DrJ

DrJ

'28 A
    Pinched the rails and moved the body back 8" to fit it.
    I can switch engines between a this 240Z OHC-6 and a HA series Ford Flathead 6 which is what's in it now.