Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Searching for '57 Chevy Gasser later turned C/Altered Commanchero

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1933_willys_77, Jul 6, 2014.

1. O.K. Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin (and beyond) trying to locate this 1957 Chevy Gasser later turned C/Altered. Car was from Aurora, Illinois and ran at Oswego, Rockford / Byron, U.S. 30 Gary, and The Grove. Called Commanchero (yes I know the correct spelling only uses one "m") and as you can see in the pic's it has a couple unique features. Most noticeable is the way the quarters are cut for the slicks with a square shape, and also it has a Black Vinyl Top which is pretty rare on a race car. Car was run by Wagoner & Patton. These pic's are from 1967ish and show how it looked last before being "lost". In earlier years it raced without the Gold Fogging and lettering, all green and possibly brown primer before the green. In the time frame of these pic's it ran a big block. Hilborn Injected L-88 427 set back. I would also love to locate one of the jackets. So if you have any info, stories, pic's or leads please post them up. THANKS
    1 C 5.jpg
    1 C 3.jpg
    1 C 4.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  2. OldColt

OldColt

Very nice looking car, but it was probably an Altered. Too much engine setback, and rear wheel too forward to be a legal gasser.

--- Steve ---

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

x2, thats an altered, not a gasser.

4. OldColt

OldColt

Don't see any class letters on it. C/A is my guess.

5. Mark C.

Mark C.

Can't say I agree on the wheelbase being stock. Look at the relation of the center of the wheel to the rear quarter window. Not a 100% exact comparison due to angle of the pic and wheel offset, but it looks like there is a fair difference to me.

Altered wheelbase 57.jpg

Good luck on your quest - I hope you find it!

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I side with Marky Mark on the rear wheel placement.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Good luck is just what this guys gonna need...o_O

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

It is a way-cool-race-car for certain, I don't remember seeing it at any of the tracks we raced at, but I hope you find someone that knows.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Neat car, hope it survived. We have to remember, many old race cars got parted out because (totaled or not) the drivetrain ended up in another project. There would be no hiding that body/chassis though if it sits in a garage; square wheel wells, altered wheelbase, front axle, no door vent windows (plexi side glass?),etc.
    The wheelbase is definately altered. The leading edge of the slicks are at least up to where the upper quarter trim meets the lower trim if not the quarter window dip.
    Interesting to note the car is spelled "Commanchero", while the jackets are spelled "Comachero"(one 'm' and no 'n').

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Steve A

Steve A
    from Illinois

Old topic, do you have this photo ?

commanchero.jpg

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

A little over a year and an up date!! Hamb is good..Thanks Steve..

12. Just found this pic on the tri five gasser thread so I thought I'd bump this Z 503.jpg

13. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

^^ It's always good to see one of my pics even if I didn't post it. ^^
    I took this either the fall of '68 or the spring of '69 at Oswego
    Drag Raceway. I read somewhere that the front clip was seen in
    a wrecking yard years ago.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  14. The reason I originally posted this is because the second from the right, the redheaded guy in the jacket picture was the father of someone I know. His dad died a little before he was born and never knew his father. His name is on the rear quarter panel. He always wondered what may have happened to the car and hoped to find it. It turned into something pretty unique so I thought someone on here may have known some of the guys or the car. He has more photos going back to the beginning when it was in primer and just starting to be built but the car changed so much over time I just posted the last dated pictures he had. He would still like to know any info on what happened to it so thanks for bumping it back up. I'll tell him about the front end when I see him. Its another clue for now. Thanks

15. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I read the following two entries on Facebook this morning:

"Believe it was Tom Beckem's car. I recall that front end sitting in a junkyard in the 80s. I showed this picture to my brother, he is sure it was Toms at one time."

"I think Larry Wagoner is correct. Someone else might have bought it after Larry's death."

zzzzzzzComanchero.jpg

zzzzzzzComman.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  16. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Not certain by the photo's if the vinyl top is real vinyl, smooth or pebble finish, or if in fact it might be the spray on type finish. However during the early years Richard Petty used the pebble finish on his Nascar mo-par entry creating quite a list of opinions such as...... if dimples can propel a golf ball can it help on the super speedways ? would it cause unwanted lift at speed ? was it only a tech inspection diversion tactic ?????

SS327 and scotty t like this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spray on “vinyl” tops were all the rage in the mid 60’s.

48fordnut, Max Gearhead and AHotRod like this.
  18. hipojoe

hipojoe

Love the car, team, uniqueness etc. But being an english major and a team owner, I would have wanted my team to be in matching uniforms to the car lettering.:(

19. Yes, Erik is Larry's son who neither ever got to meet. I haven't seen him in a while as his wife cuts my hair and it's much to long now. If I get over there for a hair cut soon I'll bring this up and show them. I don't have or do the Facebook thing. Thanks.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  20. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I'm not a Facebook guy, either. A friend let me know about the "Oswego
    Drag Strip Facebook Group" that was open to lookers without having
    to be a member. He knew I was trying to find pics of another car, a
    '66 Chevy II 2 dr sedan named "Barbarian". Not much luck with that
    but got to see and remember "Commanchero". That car knocked me out
    at first sight. If you get the chance, ask your friend if he remembers
    "Draggin' Mouth", another '57. Another one that gave
    me a charge as a kid. I was able to get pics of both cars at Oswego on
    the same Sunday. Looking back at the pics on that site reminded me how
    kool it was to go to the strip in the late '60s. I very seldom get that
    feeling these days and haven't for quite a while.

*Edit* - I just ran across this pic of "Commanchero" racing "Barbarian"
    at Oswego. I had to do some major clean-up but worth every minute.

zzzzzzzBARB5.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  21. hipojoe

hipojoe

COMA- CHERO? According to the uniforms.

22. hipojoe

hipojoe

Just an old Grandpa with an eye for detail.

23. Great pic. I'll definitely pass it along to Erik.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  24. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I feel a little foolish here. The photos I've seen on Facebook, and posted here,
    were put on Facebook by Erik Wagoner, the son of the car's owner, Larry Wagoner.

SS327 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Hi Fellas, I just wanted to thank you for sharing this piece of our history. I’m Larry’s oldest daughter and for those that don’t know he died at the very young age of 27. My sister and I were 4-6 and his only son, Erik, was born three months after his death. If anyone has any other pics or video. We would love to have it. I did find a utube video of a race if you guys want to search drag race Comanchero.
    Again, Thanks so much!!
    Kari

AHotRod, Gotgas, 40LUV and 5 others like this.
  26. I should have added, we lost everything in the housefire that took my Dad’s life. We only have a few pictures that others gave of over the years.

AHotRod, SS327, Offset and 4 others like this.
  27. 6sally6

6sally6

28. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

According to the stories I’ve been told about this car, it was buried in a hole years ago somewhere around Steator, IL. I’ve also been told that guys have followed the legend and dug where it was supposedly buried and were unable to locate the body. If the car still exists, it’s likely not above ground.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022