Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods National Shortage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimpopper, Dec 30, 2022.

1. jimpopper

jimpopper

Is anybody having trouble sourcing parts for their build that was formerly commonly available? My current part problem is the remote door latch rods for my 30 Model A pickup. For the price they used to sell for, I didn’t want to spend the time bending up rods and trying to heat treat them to stop them from flexing. They are out of stock with every supplier. Who knows if they will ever be made again.

2. I've had trouble getting parts for Model A cars for a couple of years now. I'm thinking some may be gone forever as new replacement parts.

jimpopper likes this.
  3. 62rebel

62rebel

Been a tough couple of years (running onto three) for businesses that rely on parts supplies. My main two aftermarket suppliers are constantly backordered and my main distribution center is not a lot better.....

Truckdoctor Andy and jimpopper like this.
  4. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

Lots of stuff seems to be out of stock for the model A. I have found some new parts on ebay that are showing out of stock from the big resellers.

jimpopper likes this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I have toilet paper........I'm good!

6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try finding 34 Ford headlights.

jimpopper likes this.
  7. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DDDenny , there are no shortage of rear ends apparently....he he he

8. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, it's kind of like back in the old days, when car parts became obsolete, but they hadn't started reproducing them yet.

Just a part of life. We get to figure out how to deal with it. Bitching about it won't make it any better, unfortunately.

9. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

If the business's can't recoup tooling costs the parts go bye-bye....

jimpopper likes this.
  10. 327Eric

327Eric

Time to start buying parts for back burner projects. 59 Chevy and ford quarter panel patch panels are gone now too.

jimpopper likes this.
  11. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

My buddy called me last week complaining that every parts store within 30 minutes of him was out of 3/4 inch heater hose. They didn’t have dates on when they would be restocked either.

He said even Rockauto showed out of stock… Is there a national shortage of hose setting in?

jimpopper likes this.
  12. goldmountain

goldmountain

Unfortunately, the guys repopping these parts are dying off the same as we are.

13. Makes some of us feel a little better to vent and bitch.:eek::D Shortage of certain items is becoming the new normal.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

continuing, and expanding, story here and everywhere - do not expect it to get any better.

mad mikey and jimpopper like this.
  15. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Gee we might have to start building them the traditional way. lol

16. hepme

hepme

Damm right! If i didn't vent/bitch/scream and on occasion throw things, how else would my cars ever get finished?--by smiles, sweet sayings, loving looks, and a hug or kiss?? The former DOES make things better---my old bod gets calmer and i actually do start to think.

17. catdad49

catdad49

I just ordered some windshield related parts from Snyder's, they had everything and shipped Fast! Your results may vary.

-Brent- likes this.
  18. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I just had a new 30x40x12 pole barn built. The structure was finished just before it got cold. Due to a shortage of cement, they were unable to get the slab poured before it was too cold out to pour concrete. Now I am sitting here looking at a new pole barn that I cannot use until spring! I had planned on spending the winter finishing the interior of the barn. Now I can't even do that.

jimpopper, tractorguy and uncle buck like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Spoken by a Chevy II owner with experience, as do I.
    I started looking for parts for our 67 in early 1983, the week I bought it, seemed that only a few things were being reproduced, hardly any of the Chevy II specific items, was at the mercy of those guys that had "future vision" by scouring Chevy parts departments for NOS parts, at a considerable markup.
    There was one guy here that was a long haul truck driver, he hit all the dealers on his route, most of us guys here in the NW new his phone number by heart.
    By the way, I'm still looking for a windage tray for a Chevy II, only used on the 327/350 hp.

jimpopper likes this.
  20. Bought a new sheet of 18 gauge.
    I’m good on replacement panels

all the local parts stores and Amazon have 3/4 hose listings as well

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  21. A close friend of mine was having real issues getting the Pontiac pistons he wanted. He had an order in with Jegs for 3 months...Nothing! Nobody else had them either, so this is not a complaint about Jegs. He finally went with a different combination.

Unknowingly I bought a bunch of parts for 3 of my projects just before all the crap started happening a few years back.....Made me look smart, but was strictly Dumb Luck!:D

God Bless & Happy New Year
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

22. It’s almost like we have start actually fixing or building stuff instead of relying on buying new ones. I’m good with that.

23. yup...maybe have to innovate....or create.....or recreate.

mad mikey and anthony myrick like this.
  24. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

3D printing and a good machinist may be a necessity going forward.

25. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It's not just parts for vintage vehicles. I work in the parts department of a Chevrolet dealership, and it's an ordeal to get parts to repair late models as well.

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Pretend it's 1945, what did our forefathers do before SoCal Speed Shop opened (1946).
    Or whoever started the aftermarket, hell, maybe it was Al Gore!

mad mikey likes this.
  27. I guess I don’t necessarily understand the panic, I don’t expect parts to be available for an obsolete car, I plan on having to be creative…

28. China just opened up again. Should start seeing stuff in the near future. Unfortunately it’s not a joke it’s reality.

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SWAP MEET!?! WHERE? WHEN!??!

egads and 40FORDPU like this.
  30. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Replacement 31 Model A window regulator springs are nowhere to be found.

jimpopper likes this.