Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Eaton m62 supercharger goofing around

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lato, Jan 10, 2023.

1. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

View attachment 5616065 View attachment 5616064 View attachment 5616062 Soooo I enjoy doing odd ball stuff. I have had this 3.8 super charger laying around the shop for years. I kinda wanna fab this thing onto a 355 I got sbc
    I seen a guy had a custom mounted thing maybe bought I have no idea that bolted onto the throat of this charger. This would be ideal. But first thought was milling the top off and mounting a carb onto it but I don’t think I got enough meat to work with. Then I found that guy’s modification. Anyone else done some fabrication and slapped one of these on for fun? If so I’d like to bend your ear a bit. I’m gonna scratch the idea of milling off the top. And probably make a adapter to mount a carb on the back. But then room by the firewall will be an issue I think. Not to say a 3” 90 degree tube to the top of the charger and mount the carb there wouldn’t work but I think I might be pulling the wrong threads here. Just a thought, would like to make something out of the ordinary

jim32 likes this.
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Those superchargers just don’t move enough air for a 355.

4. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

rockable likes this.
  5. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Isn’t anything better than nothin? What if I fabbed two at a 45 with a custom intake ?

6. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Also another thought, size of pulleys will change things if I am correct? Maybe a build that is a constant labor of love but for the hell of it and coolness factor why not? But glad you said that which got me thinking about pulley size

7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Pulley diameter will change the volume of air pumped

8. The problem isn’t the pulley size so much as the displacement of air per revolution it can move, spinning it faster just makes the air hotter at some point. If you look at the Ford lightning etc. it’s a m120 blower I believe. Much bigger.

Blues4U and caprockfabshop like this.
  9. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Hmmm, I’m wondering if I can fab in a intercooler, maybe a alternate drive assembly that is driven off the main belt system to spin those up a bit faster.

10. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

The Eatons have a maximum rpm you can spin them. Around 16,000. A 62 is sized about right for ~175 cu in/2.7L. They weren't boost monsters on 231/3.8's. You'll burn it down before you make decent boost on a 355. I sold kits that used M90's on 242 cu in/4.0L, 8.8:1, 5200rpm and got 8# of boost with a reasonable pulley and blower rpm. I could put a pulley on it to make 13#. It was within an inch of it's life and would have shortened the blowers hours, for sure. That blower is too small for your motor. It would kick ass on a Chevy II 153. Maybe a flathead with a VE of 50 or so, something like that.
    See the links for Eaton carb adaptor ideas. Mike

https://www.aussiespeedshop.com/
    https://www.oldtimespeed.com.au/product-page/blower-carb-intake-for-m90-superchargers

57 Fargo likes this.
  11. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Hey thanks man, the only thought i have now is mirror two of them maybe. I’ll set that thing back in the spot I found it for now lol

pprather likes this.
  12. Nope it won’t, it will only move a certain volume of air per revolution, pulley diameter changes the number of revolutions per minute, to try to make a small blower feed a large engine will result in excessive hot air and a very short lived blower.

gimpyshotrods and caprockfabshop like this.
  13. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the money you'll spend making a custom manifold, buying two superchargers(or having them rebuilt), you could've done additional mods to your motor or built a bigger motor to get the same power.

I get the cool/wow factor of a supercharger, I picked up a M90 for similar reasons years ago, but in the modern era, Turbos make more sense, but sadly aren't appropriate for this forum.

IMG_20190214_115516.jpg

If you want an M90, I'd let it go for cheap. :cool:

~Peter

14. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I won’t say no! Send me a pm!