Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 235 squeking, not the belt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kaptain Kustom, May 16, 2023.

1. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

Hi,

I have a '50 Chevy with a 261. There is a squeking noise coming from the front of the engine. It sounds just like a loose belt (which I thought it was for half a year, swapping belts, etc.) BUT the same noise is there even if I take the belt off.

The noise is worst when engine is hot and idling. Especially with the gear on (auto trans). It does not shake excessively.

I put a new gear set with aluminum cam gear in a couple of years ago when I had the engine apart. The crank pulley / balancer is an old one from a 235. Timing cover has an added check plug. I managed to squirt oil in via it; no effect on the noise.

The engine was sounding normal for a year or two, and has squeled for a couple of months now. It has oil pressure.

Does anyone have any ideas? It's driving me crazy.

2. JohnLewis

JohnLewis

With the belt drive disconnected, the only thing spinning would be the cam and crank. I had a buddy complain of a squeaking in his motor. When we tore it down we found this. IMG_5661.JPG

tractorguy, FishFry, SS327 and 2 others like this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Are the rocker arms in the front of the engine getting oil?

tractorguy likes this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Cheap way to turn a journal I guess;)

Hnstray likes this.
  5. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Maybe see if you can squirt some oil at the front crank seal?

jaracer likes this.
  6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Could it be the distributor? Does yours have an oil cap on it? Just a thought.
    KK

7. BJR

BJR

On the Y block forum they talk about the ring on the front crank damper coming loose and causing a squeak. I believe it moves and rubs on the timing chain cover. I know it's not a Y block but you may want to look at that also.

8. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

Thank you all very much for your suggestions (also the frightening ones) !

This one crossed my mind also earlier, but the area didn't seem dry, so I forgot it. However, seems like it really was something this simple and easy! Your comment made me consider it again and try it. Needless to say how relieved and happy I am. Thanks for your ingeniousness!

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Nice! Happy you figured it out.

10. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Sweet very nice! Maybe time for a new front crank seal is that one may have dried out so much that is squeaking that bad even with oil being behind it

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It rubs on the front “steady rest” that bolts to the timing cover. I removed mine after I had the Damper Doctor repair the damper.