Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WEIAND SUPERCHARGERS LOST TO THE AGES

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56210chev, May 26, 2023.

1. 56210chev

56210chev
    from UT

The sun is setting on anything with a carburetor and distributor.

If you need some parts for your antiquated machine that has a carburetor, points distributor, manual choke, push button starter, manual transmission, 1 tail light, and no turn signals Holley is having a fire sale this Memorial Day weekend.

BBC aluminum chrome water pump $23.10
    https://www.holley.com/products/clearance_parts/parts/7015G

Flathead headers stainless $111.29
    https://www.holley.com/products/clearance_parts/parts/12702-7FLT

Flathead headers chrome $39.75
    https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/headers_and_exhaust_manifolds/all_headers/parts/12702-2FLT

BBC block hugger headers $53.62
    https://www.holley.com/products/clearance_parts/parts/11701FLT

Hemi block huggers $90.56
    https://www.holley.com/products/clearance_parts/parts/13700-1FLT

BBC lakester headers chrome $132.37
    https://www.holley.com/products/clearance_parts/parts/11703-7FLT

There are supercharger pulleys, supercharger accessory drive pulleys for SBC/BBC and Hemi, aluminum radiators, and various other parts steeply discounted (too many to list). There is something like 246 pages of items.

Maybe you can find a cheap part you need before they are gone for good.

2. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

Roots type blowers are still available so the world is not ending any time soon. Maybe the market is no longer big enough to have a bigger choice of parts suppliers but if only one survives be greatfull for that.

The range of performance parts STILL available for HAMB rods is still vast.

If anything it makes the surviving parts already in existance even more valuable and desirable when you are building a project. I treat looking for project parts like panning for gold at swap meets and auction sites.

Last edited: May 28, 2023
    mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  3. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

...and isn't an interesting consideration that hot rodding was always about adapting the latest and fastest technology to our favorite body? Here we are trying to stop that tradition of innovation at 1965. We laugh at the billet , street rods , or street machines...yet, aren't they just the progeny of that hot rod spirit of the past?

4. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Everyone blames the bean counters, the main goal of any business is to make cash . If you are not doing that your days are numbered.

05snopro440, AHotRod, XXL__ and 2 others like this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The good news is maybe we can expect to see less of this stuff.

upload_2023-5-28_8-9-2.png

HemiDeuce, Tman, Ned Ludd and 8 others like this.
  6. uncle buck

uncle buck

as far as I am concerned they are already = in my opinion

Blue One likes this.
  7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Just looked at the Holley sale pages and there are some extremely good prices on certain items..........other things not so much. I knew Holley was buying up other businesses, but when I saw the listing of the companies they apparently own, I have to say it causes some concern about them keeping all of these companies making anything but their higer volume sellers. I think we are going to see a lot of items become "no longer available" in the future. Hope I'm wrong!

8. If you're a flathead guy there are some screaming deals to be had. Quicktime bellhousings for under $200. Or how about a chrome FE oil pan for $20? But most of it seems to be Mustang bits....

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just ordered a bunch of stuff!

Thanks for the heads-up!

10. Huh, so because I don't build things with late model engines I'm no longer part of the hobby and it's passed me by ? I think not, I'm just not "trendy" enough now I suppose. Give me an early hemi over any ugly late model stuff. Holley has killed large amounts of products before they ever sold one.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What you, and people like you like to buy from Holley does not amount to enough sales volume to justify production of those items.

It is basic financial practice to eliminate poor selling items.

You don't need to like it, but I am not wrong.

Last time I checked, Holley is not a 503c non-profit organization, with the mission of serving an ever dwindling market for obscure parts.

In the past 10-years I have built exactly 3 Gen-1 Hemis (and one of those is mine). I have enough parts to build another 354, and am only short a good block for building another.

There have been no takers.

On the other hand, I have built 19 Coyotes, and 61 LS based engines

It is not a trend. The future arrived a while ago.

We're dinosaurs, and the asteroid already hit our world.

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Darned FE pan is out of stock...

13. Sorry boys and girls, this is true, more then a lot of people want to admit.

427 sleeper, 19Eddy30, XXL__ and 3 others like this.
  14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What the hell? If we're all dinosaurs and going to be extinct, at least I'll be going out with a good bunch of guys and the world will be poorer for it! So there ;).

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You should know as well as anyone that yesterday’s fantasy conspiracy theories quickly become today’s news and typically turn into facts in short order.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

"I have become....comfortably numb" Pink Floyd

Blue One, mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Except that they never do.

There is only Human nature, filtered through the lens of Capitalism.

It is never anything more than that.

Human nature will never change.

Capitalism is a relatively recent invention, but good luck changing it.

mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  18. SS327

SS327

Tried to buy 2 new 660 center squirter carbs for a TR project yesterday. Discontinued! :mad:
    Anybody got 2 for sale?

chevy57dude likes this.
  19. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Fellas,

I don't want to kill this post for political discussion reasons as there are some good parts resource links.
    Please don't go down the politics road.

Thanks.

20. Budget36

Budget36

Ya know, I wanted a bit back, a GM performance crate shortblock.
    Not made anymore.
    Actually found out GM (via a Google post I read-take it for that) GM is only making LSx blocks now for crate engine purposes.
    I have that type of engine in a Yukon out back, but I don’t want to spend the time and effort and $$ to run it in something old.
    I like the simplicity (for me) to use a carburetor.
    I’ve a early 70’s Ford 302 for my next project, recently purchased a discontinued Holley intake for it, by the time I buy a new carburetor, I’ll have more into the intake than a take off from a 5.0 would have run me. Probably won’t make as much power, get as good mileage, but I can live with that.
    I know there are some on the HAMB that are here who were born in the EFI days, but for different reasons they like the pre EFI stuff. But like most here, they are a small minority of the market as a whole.
    A few years back I bought a good used aftermarket market EFI setup for a BBC. It’s still in the box it shipped to me in.
    Glad the discussion turned this way, reminds me to have my kid list it on EBay for me:)

Last edited: May 29, 2023
    alanp561, milwscruffy and SS327 like this.
  21. I'll be using an EFI 4 port injection on top of my blown 398 1st gen hemi. Had to buy it lightly used on here because Holley bought Hilborn and killed it off. Now I guess EFI isn't modern enough to produce anymore, if the ECU takes a crap and they do, good luck getting a replacement.

mad mikey, Budget36 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Think about this...........As a group, many many of us thumb our noses at newer technology. Many pride themselves on all the nostalgic trophies they can locate for their also nostalgic vehicle. Where is the profit for Holley and the others when we are out buying things made 50 years ago and walking past their new products?
    So why should they have any interest in making and stocking things that sit on a shelf and are our last choice? I know most of you don't want to hear that logic,
    but we have to be honest with ourselves. Our way or the Highway.......and I think the bean counters are finding new horizons for parts sales are down the highway.
    GM stopped making replacement blocks/heads/engines for the venerable small block Chevy..........the most dominant hot rod engine for the last 70 years. Time marches on whether we like it or not............

hemihotrod66, mad mikey and Budget36 like this.
  23. Glad I'm on either my second to last or last build. The fun has really gone out of it the last 3-5 years and the cost.

24. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

The simple answer is to get younger people involved with our hobby. Easier said than done I know. If the younger generation is not interested in what we do then perhaps we failed to demonstrate.

I put my nephew on the lathe and showed him how to turn scrap metal into something useful while possibly learning a trade. That’s the only answer as I see it.

427 sleeper, Deuces, Fordors and 2 others like this.
  25. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Write that down on a piece of paper and pull it out and read it once in a while. My state recently imposed a $1,500 fine for all exhaust modifications on ANY car.

alanp561 likes this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It won't hold up on court, unless it is directly related to sound and/or emissions regulations that were in-place at the time-of-manufacture.

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To everything (burn, burn, burn)
    there is a season. (burn,burn,burn)
    And a time for every purpose, under Holley.
    A time to build up, a time to break down
    A time to race, a time to mourn
    A time to cast away parts, a time to gather parts together

28. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Ok, now write THAT down on a piece of paper……
    I hope you are right.

alanp561 and 427 sleeper like this.
  29. I strip away the old debris
    That hides a shining car
    A brilliant red Barchetta
    From a better vanished time
    I fire up the willing engine
    Responding with a roar
    Tires spitting gravel
    I commit my weekly crime

alanp561, Jeff34, saltflats and 3 others like this.
  30. Well! Interesting comments. I guess I am the MAD MAX of old hot rodding. Wondering into the waste land and above all else , surviving. And yea, I have a blower, dog, and sawed off!;):D