Register now to get rid of these ads!

The State Of Stuff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 7, 2023.

1. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Hello Ryan,
    We have not met but I wanted to sincerely thank and congratulate you and your crew for this site. I joined about 10 years ago as a Kustom car enthusiast who had just purchased a gutted out 51 Merc. I frequently asked for advice and guidance here during my build and have always had straight forward and sometimes comical responses. The “community” here is literally world class and has helped me realize a dream come true. Now, in addition to my recently completed Merc, I am starting the journey on a 35/36 Ford 5 window Coupe traditional style Hot Rod so I can have the best of both worlds. In short, just wanted to say thank you for keeping our American automotive history alive in real time. I will look forward to hopefully meeting you at a show or event so I can shake your hand. Here’s to continued success sir!

Stogy likes this.
  2. Teighlor

Teighlor

I was one year old in 1994! Congratulations on a world class site. Logging on and reading the features is one of the highlights of my day. Keep up the great work!

Stogy, Outback and Baumi like this.
  3. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

My wife bought me a movie from Atomic many years ago. Brian Darwas made a film about the Ford flathead.
    This dude with a neat, chopped, black, Model A coupe is going to get out to get gas and who knows where else. I'm thinking " yeah so what" well. . ..
    Brian introduced me to Ryan Cochran and this "Jalopy Journal" and things haven't been the same since.
    Thanks Ryan

4. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @Ryan
    Don't forget to take the new custom place-mat with you, for when you are working in the shed there at Kauai.
    And by all means, DO, take time to relax and unwind!
    Thanks from Dennis.

IMG_3121 (2).JPG

Stogy likes this.
  5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Read this shit???
    I just show up for the pictures.
    Have a good time. You deserve it.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There should be a standing rule that everyone must spend time at the beach with their feet in the sand on a regular basis. That would put a lot of people in a far better frame of mind.

I found the HAMB in late 2007 when a group of "traditional rodders" in BC kept referring to "those guys on the HAMB" and I started searching one night for "those guys on the HAMB". And became one of them. I lost track of the BC guys soon after but I don't think I was hard core enough for them anyhow.

Kick back, relax and tell us a story or two about some Hawaii cars you find out about.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Spooky

Spooky

[​IMG]

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heading for the islands just in time for Kilauea to erupt.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Sprout

Sprout

We're getting old brother. Enjoy the time off

Stogy likes this.
  10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hot rods
    And
    My
    Buds

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Enjoy the Island Ryan and THANK YOU for providing the HAMB. I spread this gospel every chance I get!
    Now I do t mean to pry but I’ve been curious as to your connection to Hawaii. Are you from there, spent time the years ago, just love the place like most do?

Stogy likes this.
  12. Webcrawler brought me here.........Viva La Hamb.

NoSurf and Stogy like this.
  13. @Ryan -

I didn't want to be "that guy" :rolleyes: . . . BUT by my calculations, if your first post was in December of 1994 . . . and this post was made in June of 2023 . . . you've actually been "doing this shit" for 28½ years (i.e., it won't be 29 years until December of 2023) :p

All ribbing aside, you should be very, very proud of each and every one of the Atomic.png industry sites:

TheJalopyJournal.png
    HAMB.png

Ford Barn.png

The Garage Journal.png

The Gear Journal.png
    I frequent all of them often! . . . and hope they are still around for many years to come!​

- Todd

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    Tim, Rolleiflex, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  14. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

This place kept turning up in searches early 2000's, but it was way to edgy for me, plus I was not so sure of this internet thing & was happy with annomininity. I ended up joining a couple of other forums but just found them too street rodder - The Aussie one was great for a lot of years for contact here though - I joined mid 2000's & love the place. Had a break for a bit but have been back for a while & still love being here. I remember the slick, but not much else. Would love to see some screen shots from the early days :D

Stogy likes this.
  15. Jkustom

Jkustom

Wow, it's been THAT long??

Guess I'm a HAMB OG now? I need to swing by here more often damnit.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Thank you for your effort doing this. Great resource and folks!! My favorite site to check in on.

17. Congrats on your 29 years Ryan and thank you for all you do. This forum was a major resource for me when I was building my first car back in 2007, and my go to when I need help keeping the old girl running.

Stogy likes this.
  18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ed @Special Ed might know someone.

Still reading this crap, it IS a sickness.

Stogy and Sancho like this.
  19. Slicks

Slicks
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from denison tx

Have a safe an fun trip !

Stogy likes this.
  20. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Dam this began in 1994 didn't know that I joined in 2004 man where has the time gone? I'm still driving the same Hot Rod 51 years and counting. Ryan you and I are both in Brain's sweet sickness video maybe one day we will meet. Great site great people good times for sure congratulations on the accomplishments so far.

At 50 years how about leaving a time capsule for a future generation so they can see what was going. Who knows they might be dealing with some type of electric crap by then. :eek:
    Ronnieroadster

wheeldog57, Stogy and bowie like this.
  21. In honor of the HAMB milestone, here's some old HAMB shirts. I think the block lettering front was the first shirt? Ryan may know for sure, I think a member Mikey was the designer? Back of shirt was same for the italicized front lettering version. This night be second shirt design with just the lettering style change. These were probably 2002 timeframe. Then how about original HAMB Drags shirt from 2003.

None of these shirts are from the 90s, which is also before my initial signup in 2001, before a reset in 2002.
    20230608_212324.jpg 20230608_212352.jpg 20230608_212430.jpg 20230608_212456.jpg 20230608_212511.jpg

Sprout, rod1, Tman and 5 others like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This place is older than I thought...that's some heavy duty seniority indeed...Congratulations to you and the team...I'm forever thankful that a friend introduced me to it...I had the old car bug before I joined but this site with it's vintage diversity in both theme and membership solidified my direction...

Thanks to you all...and enjoy the new digs in the land of grassy skirts surrounded by the big blue ocean Ryan...;)

Sancho and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  23. twenty8

twenty8

Every once in a while, along comes someone who does something that has a huge positive influence in many lives.
    Then, later, they go on holiday to Hawaii........

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You play ukulele?

HOTRODPRIMER, Stogy and NoSurf like this.
  25. There is an older Jalopy Journal shirt that precedes that one. I will dig it out and post a pic

Stogy and Sancho like this.
  26. I met many friends on this site and for that I thank you…Have fun…

Stogy likes this.
  27. Greengo 51

Greengo 51

Love the site and will start a build thread on my 51 shortly . This site is the greatest thing since canned beer . Picked up my alliance tag in Austin at the lone star roundup , what a great time . Thanks and keep up the good work.

Stogy likes this.
  28. X-cpe

X-cpe

About 8 years ago I was Googling something about hot rods and "Hokey Ass Message Board" came up. Figured that was wrong enough it had to be right. Lurked for a few years then joined.

29. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I started a EAA chapter in 72 and it is still active. I wish I had found this earlier.
    This place has been a great place for information, ideas, and Friends.
    Thank you for the effort and dedication.

Thanks,

jim

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member