Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical High torque mini starter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by unclerichard, Jul 6, 2023.

1. Thanks for the positive update post!

Atwater Mike, mikhett and Moedog07 like this.
  2. Moedog07

Moedog07

Do you have Ford starter solenoid or continuous duty relay? The can look the same.

mikhett likes this.
  3. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

4. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice! my favorite wheels, too

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably the 100 th and something "I put an aftermarket mini starter on my hot rod and now it malfuncitons " thread I have seen on the Hamb since 2007. As the guys said, there are oem Delco mini starters for both 168 tooth and 154 tooth ring gears that work great and don't give the problems that the cheap one size fits all aftermarket ones do.
    Next question is do you actually need a mini starter or is it somthing you have to have to be in the cool guy club?

Slow down, bobss396 and mad mikey like this.
  6. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

No. I did not need a mini starter. I had a long history with that engine, and as I did a compete rebuild I realized I had somehow misplaced the original starter. Well fast forward, this little gem of a starter came up for sale brand new quick and cheap. Nope, no cool guy club. Matter of fact I am somewhat a loner, as not a whole bunch of "car guys" in these parts.

Budget36 likes this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

I bet GM was just trying to fit in and belong when they switched to a mini starter.
    I’ll never lug another chunk of iron into place again when another starter goes out. Mini for me, and not trying to fit into a group/clique , but I am the coolest guy in my garage.
    Hell, ask any of my dogs.

dirt t, mohr hp, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Glad this got resolved. I'm playing with a couple of new Ford solenoids, modifying one to take a Harley Davidson button in the bottom of the solenoid case.
    (Underhood starter 'bump', one finger...)

9. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Saw this thread and realized how my starter set up has been hooked up wrong for the last 25 years! Went right out and did some rewiring. No more “Chevy starter” sound. Never too old to learn.

Driver50x and Budget36 like this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You're welcome.
    I learned this way when I went to the Ford permanent magnet starter a few years ago. I was trying to wire it up like the old style starter, I didn't want the hot cable hot all the time like on a Chevy, just didn't seem right. I then learned to wire it just like Ford did when they started using them, no more run on. And a couple of added plus of using the permanent magnet starter, no heat soak when running headers along with a few pounds lighter.

I love your coupe!

Budget36 likes this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

If I understand, the solenoid (Ford) is not carrying the load to the starter, but just used as a remote supply tonthe GM starter?

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

So which one of the two pics caused issues? Then the other was the fix as I understand it. 47B01FD7-629B-49B4-BBCE-438AECD92F8E.png

dirt t, Budget36 and bobss396 like this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That's correct. The hot cable is hot all the time, the start wire is only hot when in the start mode of the Ford solenoid, that insures it gets full voltage. We used to do the same thing to VW dune buggies running headers, it helped with hot starts. It works on GM starters, too, if you are having problems with hot starts.

Someone mentioned the I terminal, you can still use that to get full voltage to your coil on startup, too.

Driver50x, mad mikey and Budget36 like this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

Thanks for that!

15. I may consider a GM mini one of these days. My car is a swap and I have to pick the engine off the mounts to change the starter. I will have to see some dimensions first. I like the fact that I can get a GM starter almost anywhere in a pinch. I only buy new ones or have mine done by a local shop. I always have 2 done up, salt one away in the box, kept in my kitchen broom closet.

Edit: I just did a quick search, the fly in the ointment is that my starter bolts up to the bellhousing.

Algoma56 likes this.
  16. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

Generators, of course,and you're exactly right. The starter's coast-down generates enough current to keep the drive engaged, and is only released when the flywheel spins the drive fast enough . Good call!

Terry

unclerichard likes this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

Pretty sure @BamaMav is referring to the bottom pic.

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yep, bottom diagram is correct.

Budget36 likes this.
  19. @Atwater Mike , can you use the earlier 6V Ford solenoid that had the button mounted in it?