Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Traditional Four Gauge Order?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by spillaneswillys, Jul 11, 2023.

1. I am installing a new four gauge panel and gauges and was wondering if there is a traditional left to right lineup for the gauges. May just be a personal choice but I'm betting there is a traditional lineup.

2. To be period correct and like they did in the 50’s they went in this order .

1. Any
    2. Way
    3.You
    4.Want

:D

3. deucemac

deucemac

It isn't necessarily traditional, but I arrange according to importance of I formation. From left to right for me is, water temp, oil pressure, ammeter/voltmeter, and then fuel gauge.

pecker head and Automotive Stud like this.
  4. I prefer L to R fuel, oil, temp, volt

5. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

62 Corvette has fuel, temp, amps, oil.

My old Chevy truck from the same design era has temp, amps, oil, fuel.

The car I built has fuel, oil, temp, boost. And an idiot light for the electrical system. Also these gauges are not all right in front of me, so having oil closest is important.

alanp561 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  6. I'm using the original '29 Model AA gauge panel for most of my gauges, keeping the fuel, volt (instead of ammeter) and speedo in the same places, but replacing the ignition switch with an oil pressure gauge. I wanted a tachometer, and water and transmission temperature gauges, too, but didn't want to cut a hole in the fuel tank (even though it's now hollowed out for heater/defrost/ac). I fabricated an overhead console to hold a 3-3/8" tachometer, and the 2-1/16" temperature gauges on each side. It's a truck, made to haul and pull, so I want to know the temperatures first and foremost. I've put the fuel gauge in (below) just for fitment purposes.
    I guess that makes it a five-gauge order, but I'd think knowing how hot your transmission fluid is getting should be just as important as fuel level, charging, water temperature and oil pressure.
    IMG_2285.JPG

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
  7. 36 Tourer

36 Tourer

When I built my 32 Sedan , I used an original type oval shaped dash insert with 5 holes , I installed the gauges, 4 gauges and the speedo with the theory of the important gauges closer to the driver (water temp and oil pressure) . When I started driving the car I noticed that the steering wheel interrupted the vision of the "important gauges" and so I ended up moving them to the far side of the speedo.

05snopro440 likes this.
  8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

NO ONE CAN say..!
    First, it's YOUR car, YOU pick the positions.

Second, it depends on the seating, the steering wheel, and WHERE in the dash these gauges will go!

I ALWAYS put the most important gauges at the easiest to see..."at a glance"...position, then move onto the end, or least important gauge, that I need to move my head, or look farther to the side to see.

Again...your car, NO ONE else needs to care, but you ! "Traditional" is in your head, make it your...car.

Mike

Bandit Billy likes this.
  9. twenty8

twenty8

I am left handed, so I prefer mine mounted right to left otherwise I can't read them......o_O

Bob Lowry, i7083, 427 sleeper and 3 others like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

We wouldn’t be able to read your gauges anyways, on account they’d be upside down;)

11. twenty8

twenty8

Not to mention KPH, kPa/Bar and degrees Celcius...........:rolleyes:

12. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gauges.jpg No idea of these are "traditional" or not but they work for me. Left head temp on the left and right head temp on the right.

13. pgj

pgj
    from aurora co.

GAUGES, GAUGES, "We don't need no stink'in gauges" Sorry couldn't resist,

John Lee Williamson likes this.
  14. And to throw a monkey wrench into it you can mount them all with the needle pointing straight up while at the proper settings so all you have to do is glance to see if there is a problem. Ala racecar style. You don't actually NEED TO READ them!

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I studied the pictures of the Outlaw when I built my clone
    Left to right are
    Fuel, tach, speedo, amp, oil, vacuum and temp

B9146934-22E6-4487-B366-4C5478BEE78D.jpeg

On the futurian I used fuel, speedo, oil, and temp

321F5B7A-0493-4063-BA27-75EDD7B2AF20.jpeg

On my Impala I used temp, oil, and dwell

D326A4F3-0142-44E2-AAE6-AB787CEB104A.jpeg

Miss elegance uses amp, oil, fuel, tach, and temp

A0DC0421-AE0C-468B-BD0B-EE6EE8413268.jpeg

The Astorian uses tach, amps, and oil and stock water temp

36BDA931-8F29-40CE-BDD3-18DEF64D9433.jpeg

The Ron Hing 56 uses speedo, tach, oil psi, oil temp, water temp, amps, fuel psi, and fuel level
    04320D7C-A464-446C-AF35-F3B9C38B4FEB.jpeg

My 40 uses volt, temp, and oil

32DBC625-87A1-4C25-B469-CA39E2071A9B.jpeg

The sky is the limit, do what makes you happy.

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Order of concern I guess. But again.

"Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like I-Did-It lights…….

twenty8 and alanp561 like this.
  18. I am going to do the Outlaw order of gauges. Couldn't be anything more traditional than that.

427 sleeper and Moriarity like this.
  19. Cooder2

Cooder2
    from tejas

My oil pressure gauge is right above the steering column, primest real estate there is, then going right are: water temp, voltage, then gas. Tach and Speedo are below those 3 gauges

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Danny...What make and diameter are these gauges? (I also have a '54 Ford, a Coupe)

21. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some nice clusters on here. Any order you like . Probably not vertical though.

22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Left to right—-volts, water temp, oil pressure, fuel. Tach sits on dash ledge. Stock speedometer with integrated turn signal lights and high beam indicator.

23. deucemac

deucemac

We did Tha on our sprint cars. Only two gauges, but not enough time to study where the pointer was. So, we tilted the gauges so that the needles point ted straight up when everything was working well.

Tman and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  24. The correct traditional order would only apply if you are using traditional numbers matching gauges.

25. DFM>>> dont f****** matter

jimmy six and Budget36 like this.
  26. In order of danger to the car, Water, Oil, Fuel, Volts/Amp.
    Another idea is to put them in the drivers side kick pannel. That will keep the dash cleaner.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
    osage orange likes this.
  27. I like your approach, I believe the windshield is a good indicator of what's going on with the engine. Water and oil will show up on it and tell you the story.

jimmy six likes this.

28. For me Tach, then oil pressure keeping an eye on the two things that will kill our engine. too many R.P.M. and lack of oil pressure are the most important.
    upload_2023-7-27_12-27-25.png

29. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

For some odd reason this thread reminded me of an old friend whose often used the term "Clusterf**k" when referring to things..........:p

There really isn't a specific order for the guages other than making them easily viewable and cosmetically arranged with the other components on the dash. Every dash has its own needs. Something to consider is also a type of steering wheel that will allow easy line of sight to the guages.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
    X-cpe, jimmy six and 05snopro440 like this.