Register now to get rid of these ads!

262 Small Block Chevy Score- What To Do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Little Odd, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Akicita

Akicita

Let me educate you if I may wipe the block down with pb blaster( in my day it came in screw top cans, lifter ticking? Pour about a coffee mug worth in the oil) wrap in burlap, bury in garden for about 6 months ( it strengthens the cast, ol moonshiner trick we used to do the nailheads) get a 250 straight 6, piston rods are 5.7 bore her .43, drop in a set of flats from a 327, heads from a 350 vortec, (87, 88, 89 especially if from firebird, Camero, corvette, surburban, 2500 Silverado ) if you get lucky enough to find a 85 to 87 firebird you'll have to deck and angle the heads and use the intake from firebird) balanced blueprinted you'll have a beast trust and believe me, mom had a 65 chevelle 300 but dad redid heads to 191 and 165 or 170 and dropped a tri barrel intake from my sisters gto

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Put that crank in a 400 block with 6" rods and stock 400 pistons. You have 331 cu pistons would only .005 higher than stock.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I really hope this is a new year's day joke.

4. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Somebody had one hell of a New Years eve...

Deuces, chevy57dude, Joe Blow and 2 others like this.
  5. badshifter

badshifter

Starting out the New Year right with a newbie resurrecting a 14 year old useless thread with total nonsense. Nice.

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I would, however, like to know who makes the adapters to bolt a Pontiac intake manifold to a small block Chevrolet.

chevy57dude and '34 Ratrod like this.
  7. Easy ... swap the Pontiac heads on too. Chev and Pontiac blocks came from the same mother so ... how hard could it be??o_O

First you find a 350 Chev block then find 350 Pontiac heads and intake .... sheesh, no rocket surgeons on this site huh :(

Tman likes this.
  8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yeah, I guess that the bolt holes on the Pontiac heads would serve as guides when drilling new holes in the Chevrolet block.

irishsteve, belair and Tman like this.
  9. I truly hope you are kidding o_O

When installing Pontiac heads on a Chev block you simply use the method Buick (yes, another brother from the same mother) used a while back ... ever heard of a Buick "Nail Head" engine. No drilling or threading needed bud, just a good hammer and a box of Buick nails :rolleyes:

Best to find NOS or used original, the imported stuff tends to bend.

(jeeze, this site make me feel like I am a kindergarten teacher ... "Jimmy, take your finger OUT of your nose NOW).

427 sleeper, Wanderlust and Budget36 like this.
  10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes, I was kidding.

borntoloze likes this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

You could just eliminate the bolts, lotta goop then press the head down, weld it up. Should work?

12. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Think this was the key reasoning behind this post.

427 sleeper likes this.
  13. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

OR...lots of those big c clamp style Vise Grips.

427 sleeper and Budget36 like this.
  14. sunbeam

sunbeam

I have built some 348 SBCs using 400 blocks and 327 cranks. But when I put the numbers to a 3.1 stroke crank and it works with a 6 inch rod and stock pistons I always liked short stroke motors and to would have a great rod to stroke ratio.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    Deuces likes this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

Keep the crank.... That's a 3.10" little stroker.....:cool:

Just Gary likes this.
  16. Brilliant! You should be a writer