Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects We're getting old

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys36, Dec 8, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

First things first... What were we talking about again ?

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Getting old? Shit, most of us could use a body off restoration!:eek:

3. 29A-V8

29A-V8
    from wyoming

might have to rethink that.............. like what the hell do I need high beams for Im having fun blinding everyone with my low beams, or I dont give a shit what you think Im the only one that matters here.

4. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Houston TX

I cut my teeth as a parts guy at a Chevy dealership, I learned things from the mechanics and had my share of servings of humble pie. I was just fresh out of high school but I was smart enough to listen and learn, 1985 was a great summer. We had the old parts books and the high tech was microfiche. All that aside, I look up what I need online and order it, then pick it up at the counter. I’ve saved more aggravation that way, I see it as the most positive improvement over the old days and being asked if the car has air conditioning when all I wanted was some completely unrelated part.

34 5W Paul and alanp561 like this.
  5. 29A-V8

29A-V8
    from wyoming

you might want to think about that, old car parts are hard to come by, you think there gonna find enough antique parts to do a body off restoration as old as that

6. 29A-V8

29A-V8
    from wyoming

I got an awakening a while back. was talking with some younger guys and one said " what do you think old timer?" looked around and finally figured out he was talking to me. didnt know if I should take it as he was being respectful or chiding me.

'28phonebooth and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  7. I still listen to the RAMONES now and then, but that has nothing to do with traditional hot rods.

8. 29A-V8

29A-V8
    from wyoming

just tryin to make a smaller voltage footprint

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope you realize that you are asked these questions because the parts person cannot proceed through the system without making the selections. They cannot be skipped.

It is also not well known to many people that the addition of an accessory, or a parts package often changes more than one expects. This is the underlying reason why the interface is programmed this way.

Most people have better things to do than be experts on the different rear axle and rear brakes, water pump, radiator support, washer bottle and pump, alternator, and power window motors, etc. that were all actually different in a car when the original owner selected the package that includes AC.

The counter people are not paid enough to care.

10. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The reason "FUZZY DICE" were created is, because, the entire concept of "FUZZY DOMINOES", just seemed too ridiculous!
    Only us older Geezers, will partially comprehend that!
    Your result's may vary!

fuzzy dice 1.jpg

11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell, I had a better deal than that! Several years ago, I went down to the US Virgin Islands to work for a year and got re-cycled ;).

Budget36, theHIGHLANDER and 29A-V8 like this.
  12. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Get off my lawn! :D

Cheers,
    Harv

41 GMC K-18 and '28phonebooth like this.

13. I had an out-of-body experi...... oh wait.... wrong subject. What was the question again?

14. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Houston TX

I recognize that they are asking by rote, to fill in blanks, and that by some stretch it might affect a certain kind of parts. But that made no difference to any of the stuff I used to buy.

15. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

You will know you are old when you fart and nothing but Dust comes out.

VR&C.

16. twenty8

twenty8

...... and smells like birthday cake from 1966......

kls50, mad mikey, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

There's another thing that bugs me, kids at the counter at the hardware store asking "Can I help you find something?" Unless they moved everything overnight I 'm fairly sure where things are.

Rolleiflex, alanp561 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  18. Young man at Orilleys is a kid I knew in the old hood. Asked for a fuel injection o ring.. he couldn’t find one. Old guy he hired was an ole time mechanic. He walked to the Help isle a says here. Youngman says oh. Me and the old guy younger than me got alaugh

mad mikey, alanp561 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Local O'Reilly's doesn't show any non Halogen 7 inch seal beams online and halogens are order in from the warehouse. That seems odd because we have a crap ton of farm trucks that still use them around here., Autozone shows to have the Extra vision halogens in stock. 22 bucks each. The Napa up the road 9 miles does show that they can get the 6014 7 inch non halogen seal beam in on the truck. They keep "we deal with pros" hours closing at noon on Saturday and being closed on Sundays.

Still as someone else mentioned, parts houses have to have a steady demand for an item to justify it taking up shelf space. Independents if you can find one might still have old stock on the shelf.
    Screenshot (518).png

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  20. You beat me to it.......full circle.

I have one (albeit an newer one) and the full catalogs to go with it.....it's the only way to fly.

I had a small quick post on here about the insert housings made by Toyo for Toyota Land Cruisers. Look REAL close to a sealed beam, just has a flat glass instead of convex. The spread pattern is just like a sealed beam and they went down to $22 a kit (at the Dealer)..I bought a few (now on back order IF they can get them). Least offensive retrofit possible.

All over YT now, just waiting to hear it in an elevator now.

^^^^ THAT'S punk (and facts).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  21. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was a kid working in a parts store, this was how you found things, back in the 60's, we didn't have computers, "THIS WAS THE COMPUTER".

So often when going into parts stores now, you don't see these anymore, which is sad, because they were full of a lot great information, that the modern day computer data bases, just don't have.

Plus the parts diagrams and illustrations, helped to match up a part, especially if the customer had the foresight to bring in the old worn out part, to show to the counterman.

34947798_1.jpg

willys36 likes this.
  22. Just look up the part numbers yourself and go online or call to see if they have it and save the trip................unless the drive IS the real reason to go.

I use eBay, Rockauto and amazon (last 2 for belts, hoses and not self stable items). The chain places for oil, coolant some newer car stuff. For old cars it's nos, nors or good used with a sprinkling of new.
    Here's 1 of 3 parts cabinet, hidden behind is several nos delco points/cond, caps and rotors (you should see @Moriarity parts stash :)):
    parts cabinet-1.jpg

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Hey, I’d rather deal with the pretty young gals at my local O’Reiley’s! Lots easier on the eyes and not distracted looking at each other! And most of the time, they know more than the young guys, or maybe I just think that way.

alanp561, mad mikey and Johnny Gee like this.
  24. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's hard to put into perspective, in 80s if I was asked about a 1928 Chevy steering gear box bushing, or replacement wood kit for a door, I would be lost.

Same as asking a 20yo, about a 1962 Chevy. And telling them oil came in qt cans... oil bath air cleaners were the real deal.

25. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

We gotta remember, the shelf space those sealed beams took now has to be used for about 50 different "latest/greatest" lighting devices. IMO, the "latest/greatest" lights may blind oncoming drivers, but from the drivers seat I don't think they reach out as well as Halogen sealed beams.
    About 15 years ago I went into a chain parts store for SBC valve cover gaskets and was told they had to be ordered in.

Gary

mad mikey and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

every post you make is like this. you go on and on over nothing. sounds like you need a Snickers.

alanp561 and impala4speed like this.
  27. Since we're talking about age and you brought this up

Do you know the difference between an old mistress of the night and a young mistress of the night ?

One uses KY jelly and the other uses Poli-grip

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  28. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

29. trollst

trollst

One of the reasons I've quit building cars is the non availability of standard parts. Rad hoses hung from the ceiling, waiting for a bent wire, brake shoes, fan belts, master cylinders, sealed beams, you know, regular stuff, needed when building. My parts store was full of knowledgeable old guys that roasted each others and customers asses off, fun place. Now, they don't know in there what a 10si alternator is.

alanp561, lostn51 and loudbang like this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The day the music died!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.