Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Cars and Architecture.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Oct 12, 2023.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The best thing about having an interesting car is the opportunity they provide to do things, and meet people, we'd never have a chance to do without them. Yesterday was exactly that.
    We were asked if we'd be able to stage our DeSoto wagon at several Frank Lloyd Wright homes in Galesburg, about 10 miles from us for a photo shoot. We'd toured the homes 20 years ago when the Kalamazoo Historical Society organized a FLW event, but were part of a group of about 40 people. Yesterday it was just us, the home owners, a photographer and the guy doing the project.
    It was absolutely amazing. The owners are "car people", and were thrilled to have our car under their carport. They gave us a private tour of the homes, told us all about the restoration, which was VERY extensive, as FLW had more concern about aesthetic than he did longevity or practicality.
    Frank was a car guy, he insisted all of his cars be bright red, even insisted his associates have their cars painted the same color. Ours isn't, he'd probably have wanted it painted red to be parked in front of his houses, but, since he's dead, he couldn't complain. B1670044-2D20-44E6-AC04-CCCF2787F64B.jpeg 375072DF-B4C2-44D6-91B5-16F4F10DE50D.jpeg 5D195B3C-8C3E-4B6F-973D-CCE3A505B111.jpeg 0C91A674-F8CE-4A64-9AEE-271F405E6D64.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
  2. loudbang

loudbang

The "new" V you cast really stands out if you know to look for it. :)

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Fun stuff. Some of my college friends were married in a FLW Chapel in Oak Park IL and I’ve seen two other homes he designed and built. As cool as his buildings are, I’ve heard he was quite a pain to be around.

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

They told us that the kids in the family who owned the one in the photo of the car actually under the carport (in the sun), had to put buckets, pots and pans under the leaking spots whenever it rained as part of their chores.

5. SS327

SS327

Falling Water has a big mold and moisture problem. Who would have thunk it? It only has a small stream flowing through it!

05snopro440, '28phonebooth and Spooky like this.
  6. NoSurf

NoSurf

Very cool. There's just something about seeing an old house or building and an old car or truck together.

7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Enjoyable experience for you I’m sure along with the excellent photos.
    Awhile back I was asked to stage our 40 at one of the homes on a historic house walk in a town about 15 miles away where I attended high school.We were able to tour the other homes (cars posed at each) during the hours of the tour.
    Sorry to ramble on with a borderline hijack but my point is given the opportunity to participate in anything of this sort I would encourage anyone to go for it and widen your horizons. :cool:
    Thanks for sharing your experience ..

mrspeedyt, vtx1800, Stan Back and 5 others like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In my opinion, the cars' color actually compliments the house better than red would have.
    I can't imagine a better life other than being a "car guy"!

05snopro440 and flynbrian48 like this.
  9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow Brian! Kind of an honor I'd say! Very cool!

flynbrian48 likes this.
  10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes, it was. When we left, I thanked the owners for giving us the opportunity to go through their houses, and said that next year we'd like to stay for a couple days (they do an Air B&B). He said, "We'd love to have you, but don't go through Air B&B, just call us and we'll set you up!" So that was pretty cool too!

11. SR100

SR100

Edgar Kaufman, who commissioned FallingWater, sometimes referred to it as"RisingDamp".

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty cool. Congrats!

13. Pav8427

Pav8427

IMG_3151.png Would look nice here as well.
    A gas station in Cloque,Mn he did and still being used as a gas station.

14. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Big fan of FLW designs here. I've never heard of him being a car guy. You see very few FLW homes with an attached garage, although some of them have out-buildings. One FLW tour guide told us that he didn't like garages and that clients who asked for them usually just got a car-port.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  15. While not as cool as Flynbrian's experience..........
    I'm unable to refrain from shamelessly posting this photo of a scrimshaw shift knob with a quote by FLW that I have available in my inventory. :D

necessities 1.jpg necessities 2.jpg necessities 3.jpg nesessities 4.jpg

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Great pictures! I'm a huge fan of FLW, so I was excited to get a picture of my Mopar last year with Wright's only skyscraper, Price Tower in Bartlesville OK. Sorry it is blurry.

20220929_184657.jpg

It is probably FLW's most famous residence, but I don't think his relationship with the Kaufmann family was all that great. That's why they chose to use Richard Neutra, one of Wright's contemporaries, to design their desert getaway home in Palm Springs. Quite the scandal at the time! Their other house is equally famous. :)

279839078_4996037417185664_8073737389724342719_n.jpg

17. j hansen

j hansen

18. I believe that they had similar problems with the Wright designed S C Johnson Headquarters building in Racine, WI.
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  19. fleetside66

fleetside66

That wagon fits perfectly under the carport. My best friend's father had one just like it in the '50's, so I've always had a connection with the car & I've always been a fan of Mr. Wright's buildings. I intend to visit Kentuck Knob in southwestern PA in a few weeks. In the same vein, I snapped this one of my old '66 truck under the carport of the '65 house. Why didn't I ever straighten out that bumper?
    IMG_1440.JPG

20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2024-1-21_5-18-38.png The Stow House in Goleta, Ca
    “Sherman Stow built a Carpenter Gothic Victorian home on the site and moved into the house with his bride, Ida G. Hollister, in 1873. The family expanded the house in two major renovations in the 1880s and 1910s. The house was occupied by three generations of Stow descendants.”

Ida Hollister is the daughter of the historic Hollister Ranch area of Santa Barbara from the early history along the Westcoast.
    upload_2024-1-21_5-20-11.png

Hello,

In our early exploration of Santa Barbara and Goleta area in the early 60s, we saw various famous spots. Rincon Beach with the famous point surf break, Hollister Ranch, the Mission in Santa Barbara and old historic homes spread out through the whole open area along the rocky shoreline area.

The early hot rod days had been formed in old barns, garages and historic homes from the old days. But, it was not the most publicized of things. When we were taking photos of the area and finding several homes, it was a flashback to the really “old days.”

The 1934 Phaeton was bright yellow, had custom Buick Skylark wire wheels and the stance that said “hot rod.” But, the real feature was the one of a kind top added to the custom build. From far away, it looks like a normal lowered black top that provided shade on those “out for a cruise” days. The custom one of a kind “California Top.”
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/resurgence-of-the-radical-need-examples-like-car-craft-dream-rod.1227269/page-2#post-14922313

I knew the magazines would feature the yellow 34 Phaeton, but this time we were going for a two page, center spread. Although the center spread is large, there are binding staples holding the magazines together that ruin any large wall display.

Jnaki

So, with the color action shots, the build shots and the standard posed shots, I added in some historic architecture to the ensemble and now, hopefully a full color page should pop up. It was months in the development and several road trips up the coast were the payoffs for this storyline. A vacation in almost paradise location, relaxing in a wonderful coastal city and taking photos to shore up any doubt as to the important aspect of hot rods and custom cars.
    upload_2024-1-21_5-24-18.png
    This was the result of all of those hard working (+ vacationing) 20 something folks casually driving along the coast in our El Camino, to spend some great times in a lush area like Santa Barbara/Goleta area for “work?”
    upload_2024-1-21_5-22-19.png

Thanks…Big Hearted Ken… Ken Perry and Lee Hammock’s 1934 Ford Phaeton.

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The craftsmanship and detail on the old buildings has been lost to the smooth look. Here in the south there are countless homes and buildings still standing and in use with ornate hand carved details you no longer see on buildings constructed after WWII. Even my house fell victim to a 1960’s remodel that destroyed the original character of the early 20th century build. I’m not a huge fan of Wright, but there were others from his era that were more conservative in their designs that have aged well.

NoSurf and cfmvw like this.
  22. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

121495791_2768309016826695_631757526829367157_o.jpg Standrod Mansion Built In 1902 In Pocatello Idaho..

23. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. You guys and your modern buildings .... here's my T with Stonehenge back in 07

100_2838.jpg

25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

As artist as he was here he is with daughter in a Crosley, he had several.[​IMG][​IMG]

down-the-road, winduptoy, hfh and 3 others like this.
  26. cfmvw

cfmvw

Although there were a number of issues with FLW designs, I really enjoy his architectural details, particularly his use of stained glass. The Art Deco era is one of my favorites; you saw that influence in just about everything: cars, buildings, appliances, furniture, etc.

hfh likes this.
  27. firemangordy

firemangordy

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

upload_2024-1-22_1-4-7.png

Attached Files: