Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 69 Pontiac 350 help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by impala59, Feb 21, 2024.

1. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

I'm changing a water pump on a 69 Pontiac 350 motor and after removing the water pump from the timing chain cover it was really nasty looking. I'm thinking I am seeing a rust hole right next to the water outlet sleeve. I know my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. Anyone seeing what I'm seeing? Guess I'm maybe going to be having to get another timing chain cover.

Attached Files:

2. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

It's the hole right under the sleeve. Top hole is a bolt hole

3. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks like that big hole isn't in the replacement? :)

cover.jpg

also looks like you might not have a 69?

Deuces, SS327 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

1969 may be the year that Pontiac changed the water pump setup mid year. When I worked in a parts store in the '80s, I remember that one year had and early and a late design.

5. Joe H

Joe H

If the engine is out of the car, you better pull the frost plugs and do some heavy duty power washing. You have the 11 bolt water pump, all the parts for the timing cover are available aftermarket. The 11 bolt setup is also the most used, so you should be able to find them pretty easy. Early 8 bolt setups will bolt on, but you will need the pulleys and balancer to go with it.

6. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Getting rid of the funky crud will help you understand what the condition is.
    Manufactured or nature doing her thing

7. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

Thanks for the help everyone. Yeah the plate between the water pump and timing cover is pitted around the sleeve area so I'm going to have replace that to. Thanks for the advice about changing the freeze plugs also and I might as well change the timing chain also. Going to order a good high flow water pump and return this cheap chain auto parts store water pump I already bought. Well a simple $45 water pump change now going to turn into $400. There's a 1960 Bonneville I seen sitting in a salvage auction yard that I really hope comes up for bid soon and I planned on using this motor for it.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i'd be pulling that timing cover off and expect to change the timing chain. It may have already been changed and that was from a real sloppy timing chain before. Pontiac timing cover.jpg

I wrote this last night and didn't get it posted. stock timing chain sets were good for 60/70 K on most poniac V8s in that time frame.

9. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

You know the 69 motor will not fit 1960 transmission.atleast not without somekind adapter kit.

SS327 likes this.
  10. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

Dropping the 350 motor and 350 transmission together

11. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I am willing to bet if you shine a light in the hole you will see a timing chain. Not good, the water pump side has water and the timing chain side has oil and the two shouldn’t mix. You can pull the cover, half way there anyway. 69 Pontiac had 2 different 11 bolt pumps, one is 4 inch’s and the other is 4.5 inch’s from the mounting flange to the fan mount. Just take old one with you get the new one.

12. Joe H

Joe H

Your store bought pump will be fine if it has a cast impeller, the stamped steel ones not so much. Before installing your choice of pumps, place a gasket on it and lay the divider plate on the pump so you can check the clearance. The closer you can get the divider to the impeller, the better they work. I use a 2x4 across the divider plate and carefully pound on it to close the gap ( not while on the pump). Keep checking till you get .030" to .050" clearance, and remember, it will close up more when the gasket gets compressed. Here are some pictures, http://www.wallaceracing.com/water-pump-mods.php#google_vignette or watch this,

13. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

Thanks for that video. I returned the stamped steel impeller water pump and ordered a flowkool pump and backing plate. Also found a NOS timing chain cover $75 from Brian's auto salvage in American Canyon CA. He took it out of the dumpster when the local dealership closed in 1979. Sitting on shelf all these years. Brian's is still in business and he's gotta be early 80's now. Tuesday -Sat 707 642-5408 still has 1940-70 parts cars. That's still his daily driver truck

Attached Files:

bchctybob and 67drake like this.