Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Uncertain T has been found!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Jan 23, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twenty8

twenty8

Something weird going on here. The pic of the recently found car's frame is way different to the original construction pics. Note the radiused edges of what appears to be a steel frame in the recent pic, while the early pics clearly show the non-radiused aluminium tube frame rails.

Recent pic...

[​IMG]

Early construction pic...

[​IMG]

I hope I don't smell a rat....o_Oo_Oo_O

More early pics here: https://www.tbucketplans.com/uncertain-t-exposed/

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don’t know the history of this car at all really… but I wouldn’t be surprised if this car’s frame hasn’t been broken multiple times in its life. Therefore, it wouldn’t be a surprise if they redid it in steel at some point.

Remember, these show rods weren’t really functional cars as much as they were art pieces… I’d bet many of these cars (ice truck, mysterion, orbitron, etc…) never traveled more than a few miles under their own power… ever…

Gizzy, mad mikey, Paul B and 11 others like this.
  3. SS327

SS327

Maybe he welded the aluminum part of the frame to the steel?

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  4. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wanna learn THAT technique!!! :rolleyes::eek::D

Gizzy, mad mikey, lostone and 5 others like this.
  5. 05snopro440

05snopro440

With hopes and dreams?

It requires advanced techniques today, no chance he did that back then.

chryslerfan55, SS327 and 427 sleeper like this.
  6. 5window

5window

There are more and more curious things about how "he did that back then"

mad mikey, SS327 and 427 sleeper like this.
  7. 05snopro440

05snopro440

I keep circling back to Steve Scott being an unreliable narrator.

mad mikey, verno30, Paint and 8 others like this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I saw a pic of the trailer some where and a little write up the fact that it was a ratty piece of crap and its a wonder the car got any where; probably wore the car out more than it saved it...

chryslerfan55 and SS327 like this.
  9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I wonder if its even got the original rear suspension; its the body that everyones eyes went to?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I seem to recall hearing stories of the frame being broken before, but that could have been one of the many similar builds from the era. I’m sure the documentary will touch on it.

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve seen more metal used on a run stand. After it toured around the circuit and likely broke a few times it wouldn’t be far fetched or even a large project to make another frame. I think it’s deceiving how tiny this thing is. So here is a photo of both the chassis and a human for scale. IMG_2536.jpeg

12. Deuces

Deuces

Unreliable in more ways than one... :rolleyes:

Gizzy, mad mikey, verno30 and 4 others like this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have driven that key on the back off the QC and a set of reduction gears.
    Is that rear end hard mounted to the frame? If so, no wonder the frame would disintegrate.

14. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Looks like there are leaf springs above the frame and below the axle. They're chrome.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, I think I can see that now.

mad mikey likes this.
  16. 05snopro440

05snopro440

17. 5window

5window

Time for coffee.

mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Deuces and 05snopro440 like this.
  19. twenty8

twenty8

That did cross my mind, although I can't find any mention of anything like that happening.
    The documentary will hopefully shed some light on all the mysteries. I am sure Dave Shuten will get to the bottom of everything he possibly can. So many questions at this stage.......

20. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Shutens post on Instagram someone mentions the frame failing years ago and being replaced.

21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't get the excitement. It's a weird car. Was then and is now. Pat Ganahl put it in his book as a weird show car.

Gizzy, mad mikey, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  22. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Dave has the car in his enclosed trailer bringing the Uncertain "T' East its going to be on display at the in Detroit Autorama this weekend.
    rockable the car is from an amazing era where indoor car shows was the place to see plenty of Custom one off show rods all competing for that trophy and some eventually becoming the Icons. The Uncertain "T" is one car that certainly is an Icon from such a great era. Plenty of odd looking customs were on the circuit during the sixty's as well some have survived that are pretty unusual for sure to each their own.
    Ronnieroadster

Driver50x, HEMI32, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  23. -Brent-

-Brent-

People are weird. We are passionate about all sorts of things that others don't get.

I didn't get the allure of the World Cup until I went to Europe... during the World Cup. It was captivating and it dragged my son and I right in.

I didn't get a lot of art until I met a man whom owned an art gallery. His intensity, excitement, and explanation of the process and history was fascinating.

The mediums are different but the excitement probably lights up the same part of the brain.

These show rods are about fun. Sure, they got competitive and egos were involved, but overall, these folks were into the "art" of the period.

Thor1, rod1, Driver50x and 13 others like this.
  24. SS327

SS327

I still want to know how the rear suspension actually worked with that short driveshaft!

05snopro440 likes this.
  25. Didn't have any.

26. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, X-38;
    I do believe it did. Pivot points are at/though the front leaf-eyes & u-joint. Not a lot of movement, but there is some(same arc). Not enough that'd be acceptable for me, but not my car.
    Marcus...

27. wvenfield

wvenfield

Next thing I'll find out is that the Flying Sub from the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea really couldn't go to the bottom of the sea.

Mr Ed really couldn't talk?

A lot of this was never supposed to be taken all that serious.

I'd still like to meet Julie Newmar even though she isn't what she once was.

28. Mmm, I watched an episode of that recently on Youtube. Turns out my childhood memory was correct, that sub was HUGE on the inside! Rooms! (And I thought only the Tardis was like that, although pre VTTBOTS)

29. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

All goes to show how many sins can be buried under paint and filler when it comes to extreme show cars. They were built to last the show season. After everyone has seen it its pretty much obsolete. That's why so many fad cars just get neglected or broken up. There are exceptions that end up as museum pieces but most are gone

The discovery of this car looks to have been stage managed to some extent but not all the protagonists stuck to the script. It has been blasted over the entire Hot Rod social media universe which is the intention I guess. I forecast that next year it will vanish again.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    chryslerfan55 and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  30. 05snopro440

05snopro440

In the Galpin collection? Pretty unlikely that it will disappear again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.