Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Garlits Museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Downs, Mar 9, 2024.

1. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I know the Garlits Museum has been mentioned here in the past. I was there today and the place is incredible.

Don Garlits is not only an excellent mechanic and race car driver but is also a hell of a business man.

Definitely make plans to visit.

2. noboD

noboD

I'm convinced he never threw anything away.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No pictures? C'mon man!

4. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I went there in '04 absolutely blew me over.
    Rails that I had not viewed for years. His, as well as many others.
    Museum for certain,,, 2 buildings when I went.
    Got a handshake. ( that I felt 'til the next day:):):):) )
    Bought some tees and a book that is just a treasure. ( I make my friends read it )
    GO

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do they still sell these?
    [​IMG]

6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

The museum that is non-racing is amazing, The ones that do stop in if you're really interested in automotive & American history plan on spending all day,,,
    Garlic is a great awesome guy but if you kinda know him he's a penny pincher

7. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

My phone doesn’t have enough storage….

8. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

God Damn, I hope not!!! LOL!!!

9. Fordors

Fordors

Penny pincher and pretty wise too. I heard years ago that when he match raced he preferred to be paid in gold whenever possible.

10. He’s right, the fine print in rules clearly states as follows, pictures or it didn’t happen. Carry on.

11. Menace32

Menace32

Was in Fla for my sisters wedding in 2016 and me and my dad disappeared for about 8 hours to go there. It can only be described as a religious experience

12. beegator

beegator

I went to Garlits museum many times when I lived in Gainesville. I decided to go one last time before I moved to say goodbye to TC. I am glad Big put his urn in the museum. Also has a nice tribute to his late wife Pat there. Memories…

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Have been there a few times , from Daytona from Bike Week . Great ride through the National Forest . Words can not define the cool in that place .

14. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

2020-10-31.jpg

Some guy I met when I was in Ocala, advertising for The Pep Boys

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Don's kept my wife busy for hours with his memorabilia.

chryslerfan55 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When walking around in the vast Florida museum, were there any action movies from the late 50s and early 60s, including the ones of Don Garlits and his brother, Ed at Lion's Dragstrip in So Cal? Most museums have wonderful hot rods and drag race vehicles, but little in the way of actual early drag racing films as we all knew they were around. Not the top fuel rear engine versions, but the FED race cars from early development to the limits prior to the rear engine models.

As the technology improved, so did the participation of racing films from 1966 onward. Just so the early development is not forgotten, I donate my films to various museums and organizations for their archives and displays. If anyone knows of a museum director with a need for early drag racing films, please let me know.

In mentioning Don Garlits, there are also those two Westcoast road trips that started the big time invitation drag race meets? As important as that first 1959 road trip in March of 1959 opened Don Garlits' eyes, the Westcoast drag racing racers/manufacturers gave him some tips... (carbs vs blower spec 671 motors) and the "rest is history."

Someone asked if I had any early Garlits action films from those two drag races in So Cal, as there were no action films of the Garlits Brothers in their drag racing careers. We missed that historic first March Meet in 1959, but did film the resulting year in March of 1960.

I sent them the only early drag racing action films of his late 50s/early 60s career when they came West. But, never got any notification of them being displayed in the Florida museum. The listed You Tube action films I filmed are located here.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=1959+riverside+garlits You Tube versions for public viewing

I sent them their own HD digital versions (not You Tube versions) to convert to their method of displays, so perhaps that was the problem.

Jnaki

Any sightings and photos of the early drag racing film displays would be helpful for my own files.
    Thank you...

chryslerfan55 and Tow Truck Tom like this.