Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 500 ci Caddy Love

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sweetdick2, Apr 3, 2024.

1. I had a 500 in , the last year I believe, they were available. Car was probably 5000lb. Fleetwood Brougham. I lived in CA at the time. Any of you that live there, or have been there, are probably familiar with 'The Grapevine" hill No out of LA. Most will also agree, I think, that one can feel the accelerator pedal move when the cruise control increases for a hill. Set at 65 mph, that pedal never budged. The engine sound , if it increased, was not heard. Like the hill was not there.

I'd use one. Wonder how one would do in my 32 year old DD???.

Ben

Sharpone, loudbang, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  2. cooke

cooke

Like Chicken mentioned, he was only able to go 9.50's.
    The late 472s and early 500 cylinder heads (stock) will flow 240 cfm with their OEM little valves and their basic 45* seat valve job (with no other angles to help). Reaming them with a good Serdi cutter out to a BBC 2.250 intake valve and basic porting will get you to the 300+cfm mark at a little over .500 lift. Low lift numbers are equally as strong,
    Raising the intake port roof nearly .250 and some epoxy in the floor will easily get you 330+ cfm @ .580-.600ish lift.
    The throttle response with an 850 Holley is crisper than a fresh head of lettuce.
    Running mid 10's in a 3500 car with a 3.42 gear, flat tappet camshaft, foot breaking it in an mediocre density altitude air track is not a problem.

rod1, Sharpone, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  3. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

And the sound with 3 1/2" open collectors is SO big and low it's amazing. ;)

Sharpone, Deuces, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  4. 73RR

73RR

5. cooke

cooke

For sure.

Sharpone and Deuces like this.
  6. Sharpone

Sharpone

IMG_1942.jpeg
    Gotta do the BB Mopar make the bow tie fellows squirm he he

MoparTobi likes this.
  7. Sharpone

Sharpone

Of course I’d put a Chevy in my Dodge if I found a good deal! Make the Mopar guys squirm ha ha. 500 Caddy hmmm sound too cool should push a 2700 lb A Body Dodge pretty good.
    Dan

8. Thay all just chunks of iron with holes punched in em

9. Sharpone

Sharpone

Anthony you gotta admit it’s hard to substitute for cubic inches. Engines are like women, all good just some better than others.
    Dan

Deuces, Roothawg and firstinsteele like this.
  10. Sharpone

Sharpone

Anyone out there wanting to get rid of their ugly 472 or 500 caddy they can’t stand to look at - PM me.
    Dan