Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical "GAGE" vs "COIL" terminals on '39 Ford Ignition Switch...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Deyomatic, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

What's the difference between the "GAGE" and "COIL" terminals on the '39 Ford ignition switch? They both seem to get 12v with the ignition switch on.

2. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

Gage is hot “in”which should be from ammeter. Coil is just that, power to coil or coils when switched on.

3. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

So anything that needs switched power can run off the "coil" terminal... for example a relay that runs a solenoid for an overdrive?
    Thanks.

Dan Hay likes this.
  4. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Check to see if there is continuity between the two terminals with the ignition switched off.
    On a lot of early switches [pre-Acc days] it was simply another post to connect to. [Tri-5 Chevy switches are exactly like that]

If that was the case ,then the "Gauge" terminal would be HOT with the 12v Battery

Most Ammeters are "In-Series" between the Battery and the ignition "Batt" terminal ,and the charging system is connected to the ignition switch side of the Ammeter [usually at the ammeter]
    again easy to check for continuity

upload_2024-4-15_15-31-14.png

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  5. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

Ah yes, these have 3 terminals, yes? Battery “Gage” and coil.

6. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Here is a Basic 39 Ford Schematic
    It shows the ignition on one terminal and fuel and oil pressure gauges on the other terminal
    And the ammeter between the battery and ignition [with the Gen between them]

The cig lighter is constant 12v
    If you wanted to connect up any Accessories [radio] simply connect a small Fusebox "Bus" to the gauge terminal on the ignition switch
    upload_2024-4-15_15-39-16.png

BJR likes this.
  7. BJR

BJR

If using the original Ford switch, I would use a relay off of the gauge terminal to power accessories. Those switches are over 80 years old and warn out. I have seen them get very hot when used to power accessories through the switch.

Kerrynzl likes this.
  8. Rob28

Rob28
    from Calgary AB

That’s exactly what I did. I wanted to retain the factory switch but didn’t trust putting a lot of amps through it. So I mused used it to trigger my Coil/Acc/ and Fuel pump relays
    IMG_2090.jpeg

loudbang, Mr48chev and BJR like this.
  9. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

There is no continuity between Gage and Coil on my switch when it's off. I currently have 3 things on each terminal...not even sure what they all are.
    The item I'm "worried" about is the relay that powers the solenoid on my OD unit. The COIL terminal feeds the relay that goes to a toggle that goes down to the solenoid on the OD.
    Is there any reason that wouldn't work...or could that cause problems?

Thanks.

10. For those who don't know the stock Ford switch only has two positions: on and off.

When the switch is on; the brush inside connects all three terminals.

Earlier switches are similar; but only two terminals.

Good idea to use the switch to trip a relay if controlling more than stock stuff.

Mr48chev, miker98038 and Kerrynzl like this.
  11. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Sounds good. Thanks to all.
    Thanks for clearing that up, Rich.

The only thing that's new is the overdrive circuit which is going through a relay.

12. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure it’s useful to you, but on my 55 bird, I believe the o/d relay was fed direct off the battery, actually connected to the battery side of the starter solenoid. The relay coil circuit (light load) was fed off the ignition switch. The solenoid uses quite a bit of power on the “actuate” coil, but once in uses much less current on the “hold” coil. That’s done with contacts inside the solenoid.

In your case, I’d follow the advice above about moving all the loads to a new relay.

loudbang likes this.