Register now to get rid of these ads!

Off Topic Hot Rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 6, 2024.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Off Topic Hot Rodding

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Stogy, mgtstumpy, wicarnut and 21 others like this.
  2. Wow Ryan, You have once again reinvented the term traditional, with a twist! I like it!

Since no rules exist I have a question. what is the cut off date or will one exist in the future? HRP

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

holy crap.... sounds like the sky is the limit... at least for now

4. engine138

engine138
    from Commack NY

WOW now lets see um

Stogy, Deuces, juan motime and 2 others like this.
  5. So is it still limited to pre '65? Would hate to see a bunch of late model crap....
    Seems like there should be some basic guidelines

Stogy, Surfcityrocker, Paul B and 4 others like this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

At the moment there are no rules and I just plan on deleting shit that annoys me... If that sounds like something that might hurt your feelings or you just have to have structure, don't use that forum.... More or less, I'm curious as to how things will go.

7. I’ve got a custom mini truck we’re building
    Hmmmmmmm

8. This reminds me of a car club I once belonged to. They kept raising the cutoff of the year allowed until all of the original die-hards quit. I can see this argument in a way as some things already get a pass. Just has to be managed and the rules developed.

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I thought April 1 was last month….

I think it’s a great idea. So much, I started up a small board to cover things we don’t cover here. It’s shown a little interest, not as much as I’d like but I haven’t really been advertising it much. There are a lot of us that own cars from different eras. I like pretty much all of them, each has or had a purpose, but that’s not saying I’d want to own a lot of them.

Give Mark and Cob some guidelines and I’m sure they can keep it straight!

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Tribalism is for the weak. :)

The HAMB itself isn't raising its year cutoff or changing its focus at all. In fact, if anything, we are gonna be more strict as we could potentially have a place to dump posts that aren't as traditional as we like...

OR, this could really annoy me and I'll delete the whole thing tomorrow...

11. Now, that makes more sense and could be a good thing as it allows a place for different perspectives.

12. I couldn't believe the Manx post last week but refrained from making any 'traditional, read the rules' remarks.
    I think this is a step ahead that may enable many to have a home here. It breaks my heart when I see the names of thousands of former members who are no longer sharing here, because they did not quite fit the scope of this board.

13. Wow, didn't have that on my 2024 BINGO card, but I think it's cool!

3AMideaz, winduptoy, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  14. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I can easily see the cut off date being raised to say 1970, because this includes some really cool cars that came along later than 1965.

Especially with the advent of the muscle car Era and the people that the muscle car race inspired. Not to mention some really cool customs started coming out in the later 60's...

I agree it's cool to at least give it a try, become to stagnant or unflexable and you begin to die and wither away....

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and Sharpone like this.
  15. silent rick

silent rick

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

If this is another separate website for late model stuff fine, if it adding 2015 tuner cars to the HAMB you run the risk of offending a lot of people.

Last edited: May 6, 2024
  17. In a way, aren't we already there? Some cool stuff gets a pass, drag cars, engines.
    Please, no mustangs..

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you don't look at it you won't be offended. JMO

19. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

HEY hey Hey now
    Fear Not of course new crap can't work ( I would hope:confused: )
    But there is a broad line of automobilia, untouched here, yet.
    Thank You Ryan

20. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Ryan I like your style! As a person who grew up in the 60’s and entered the automotive workforce in the 70’s, there are lots of non HAMB friendly vehicles I find personally interesting. Mostly modified vehicles. Both of my current personal cars don’t fit the HAMB format but…
    I have modified them with features I think would be applicable and interesting to HAMB correct vehicles.

so, I may post up some “how to” with our 1970 MGB and it’s GPS speedometer modification and stand-alone Bluetooth radio bar and show my 1968 Chrysler 300’s recent driveway paint job with the off-topic wheel choice (originally completed in the early 2000’s)

21. Sharpone

Sharpone

I think this might work, lot of cool stuff that is almost HAMB. When I first joined I asked about why pre 65, at first I didn’t get it , now I totally get it! The biggest problem with building a traditional Hot Rod is parts availability and cost. I would love to have a model T or A roadster or 32 anything, hopefully someday but at present I just can’t swing the $$$s for that sort of project. A follow HAMBer @Lone Star Mopar made me a deal I couldn’t refuse on a 66 Dart which I plan on building in the HAMB spirit, gathering parts as we speak. Again OT stuff on a stand alone forum where it can’t corrupt HAMB is good idea IMHO
    Dan

22. AmishMike

AmishMike

Late model crap: you mean like a personal computer or cell phone?

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Why?

I mean, god damn... I would hope I offended them long before I created a sub-forum that they don't have to look at.

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Feelings? You hurt those a long time ago. Hah

TerrytheK and Sharpone like this.
  25. dearjose

dearjose

26. RmK57

RmK57

Gas Ronda, Les Richey, Dick Brannan, Bill Lawton and more drove 1965 A/FX Mustangs. I would think they should certainly get a pass being a huge part in drag racing history.

Deuces, mad mikey, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  27. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let it happen and let's see what the fallout is. As long as the existing rules for the HAMB apply for the traditional builds, everything will be alright in HAMB land. If I want to build a Wankel rotary powered shoebox Ford, it goes in the new place.

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sub Forum, I 'm good with that!

DSCF1531.JPG

29. Sharpone

Sharpone

Right if this forum pisses you off DON’T look or engage. I don’t know if I’ll like it or not - time will tell. Any way I understand all the the other forums will stay the same.
    Dan

30. silent rick

silent rick

because i always thought of you and the hamb as the last bastion of the traditional hot rod, never wavering, steadfast in your passion. saddens me to think they have finally gotten to you, even if you stick it in a sub-forum.