Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dick Dean Mercs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 00 MACK, Nov 27, 2004.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Weren't early Dean chops a collaboration of Dean and Sam Barris?
    Didn't Dean work with Barris in the early days? Thad splain the
    "Sam-look" to Dean's chops, no?

I too, recall the sale of chopping templets, maybe about the time
    of the '89 Street Rodder magazine feature? That article featured
    templet shapes and dimentions, if I recall corectly, so that might
    go a ways towards splainin' the rash of cookie-cutter Dean-like
    chops goin down, or not.

Swankey Devils C.C.

2. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Hers the deal .Sam Barris had no standard chop.The Quesnel Merc and his own were completely different cuts.Songzonis was yet again a completely different cut.By the time the magazine article you are talking about came out,Dick Dean had cut Mercs every way possible 15 times over.The classic Dick Dean cut is straight down at the B pillars,leaving nice full lenghth 1/4 windows,straight posts,back window in stock location.Sometimes he capped the roof with thet of another merc because of all the splits to keep a stock roof.A perfect example would be the famous yellow and brown chopped merc that ended up out east.The closest thing Sam did to Dicks early style was his own chopped merc in 49.By the time Dick Dean started chopping Mercs ,Sam was finished altogether.

3. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Javier.There were pics of the car at the first west coast kustoms meet in the Petersen Publishing Custom Cars Annuals from the early 80s. The car had big fuckin scallops on it.

4. old beet

old beet

I cut my Merc the way Dick did. Straight "B" pillar, full size 1/4 windows, leaned rear window. But only 3 inches. Looks like a factory low roof....OLDBEET

5. jammysangle

jammysangle

HMMMM....Ok BOYS....You are talking with one of DICK DEANS kids...I don't remember my dad EVER selling any Templates...but will ask just in case...you never know...so glad I came up on this site...fun to read all the threads..oh and if any of you have any questions...I would love to forward them on to my Dad and Mom or if you email me...I will give you an Email addy straight to the Horses mouth...:eek:)

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Hey, that's freakin cool! Welcome!

7. Awesome, and welcome.

8. 00 MACK

00 MACK

b.t.t.t. R.I.P. Dick

9. greasy lil girl

greasy lil girl

Here's a couple of pictures of my Dad's Merc. Dick did an amazing job. I will always miss him. :(

The first picture is my Dad's Merc and my Truck at Paso in 07 and the other is me and a girlfriend with my Dad's Merc in O5.

Katie aka Mrs. Von Franco

Attached Files:

droppedstepside likes this.
  10. He sure did beautiful work...RIP Dick.

11. kevrodz

kevrodz

how
    Remember this article this was my dads ca
    i Remember this article I have the magazine this was my dads car club he started in the 70’s

12. kevrodz

kevrodz

droppedstepside and Sum54ford like this.
  13. kevrodz

kevrodz

OOmack here is some more pics before street rodder article and after

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The kid down the street, I call him a kid he's over 60 now and retired, bought a cherry 51 Merc at least 35 years ago and had Dick chop it. It sat in his Moms garage for years even after he married and moved out. A few years back he moved it down to his place in south Orange County and has finally done a lot. 460 Ford engine and chassis work. For some reason I don't think it will ever be done. Now stored in his moms garage is a roller 34 chopped 5 window. I love to see them both done but I'm not holding my breath.

kevrodz likes this.
  15. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Here's Jeff Neppl's Merc. Dick Deans last chop.[​IMG]

16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chopped my last 51 Merc in the mid 90's, following Dick Dean's article in Street Rodder. The rooflines on all his Merc chops always had the right look. The secret was splitting the top from the B-pillar back, and relaxing some of the crown ahead of the rear window. I sold this car in 1999. Went to Colorado and disappeared. I'd love to find it and buy it back today. I've been searching for it for 15 years, with no luck. But I took notes of all the cuts I made and will be able to duplicate this one perfect, although I am thinking if I build another one, thinking about leaving the stock 51 rear window in it this time. Time will tell. Screenshot_20240104_203550_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20230826_090938_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20230826_090915_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20230826_090929_Photos.jpg