Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Body Dipping and Ecoating

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gypsy, May 18, 2024.

1. gypsy

gypsy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from florida

Looking for a quality company that can dip and strip a Ford body and then ecoat it. Prefer the southeast, but would consider the eastern US. Anyone have any experience with this? Outcomes? Recommendations? Costs? Thanks.

2. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I have been using this company for many years and highly recommend them. They are not near Florida but they may be an option for you. They have done complete body’s, misc parts, even vintage has pumps for me, most of the parts I have e coated also. (Recommended)
    http://metal-cleaning-rsi.com/Contact
    Here is my avatar after it was stripped and ecoated:
    IMG_0247.jpeg IMG_0246.jpeg

loudbang, Squablow, Bcap55 and 2 others like this.
  3. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

ekimneirbo likes this.
  4. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

20220906_111004.jpg Classic Auto Stripping
    136 East Townsend Street
    Wachula, Florida 33873
    863.773.0869 Darin
    20220701_104615.jpg IMG_20210105_093550965.jpg

Squablow likes this.
  5. dirt t

dirt t
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

When I lived in Montana I used a similar company in Spokane Washington .

6. Does anybody know of a company in the central Ohio or Detroit area? I need to have a body done . . .

7. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

I have used these people in the past

http://www.americanmetalcleaninginc.com/

8. They look like a solid outfit. What can you tell me about any issues with bleed-out in body seams? Also, did they put an eCoat on afterwards to seal the metal? Thanks a bunch!

9. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I have never had an issue with “bleed out” after having a body dipped and ecoated. The key is the ecoat and PREPARATION before primer and paint. Cutting corners on the prep will come back to bite you every time. Ecoating is a process not a spray on coating, the part is submerged in multiple tanks to make sure every surface is coated. The ecoat must be scuffed before primer/ paint to give some “tooth” to the surface, I normally use red scotch brite pads.

loudbang and ekimneirbo like this.
  10. Thanks! I've done a lot of higher-end painting in my days . . . it always comes down to prep, quality of materials and quality of the applicator. Question, how long does the rust-preventative properties of the eCoat last?

My concern is for metal that you can't get to - all the places where paint won't go. Like the insides of doors and interior structural pieces.

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

can you weld thru the ecoat?

12. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Being the ecoat process is done by submerging the object the coating flows into every crack and crevice, the only exception might be a very tight seam where there are multiple layers of metal spot welded together. I have had doors ecoated and they have come back completely coated inside and out. I believe they “turn” the parts when they are in the tank which helps with the flow. I have not had any issues with seams after the process, but I have used a quality seam sealer in the appropriate areas after the epoxy primer. Ecoat does not have any ultraviolet resistance but if left alone and not top coated in areas like the inside of a door it will protect the metal almost forever.
    One thing that I have done is to have a body “80%” stripped then bring it back to the shop for metal work and or fabrication, after that I send it back for a final strip and ecoat. This makes working on the body easier because all the metal is clean, no paint, rust, sound deadener, etc.

The ecoat must be removed in the area that will be welded, not an issue if it is epoxy primed after the repair.

Here is my avatar with the body stripped 80% and the front fenders and doors stripped and ecoated, the body went back for a final strip and ecoat soon after this photo was taken.
    IMG_3951.jpeg

13. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Anyone one the west coast they would recommend?

14. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

Bored, I have only had fuel tanks and a couple of doors done by these people. I do not believe AMC does any e-coating on-site, only dip and strip.
    As said above, you should not have any bleed out issues if you intend to e-coat. Outer body rust-thru protection should be as good as a new car.
    For best results, all metal work gets done after dip & strip, and before e-coat.

15. uncle buck

uncle buck

This is who I use and have been happy with. Don’t get surprised if they have a 90 day waiting list.
    IMG_7449.jpeg

Chucky and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  16. Thanks for the information . . . nice car!

17. AZ_Nick

AZ_Nick

Those prices appear to be for dipping only, not e-coat.

18. uncle buck

uncle buck

You are correct. They do finish it with what appears to be a phosphoric acid treatment similar to Rust Mort

19. gypsy

gypsy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from florida