Register now to get rid of these ads!

Day 2…..discuss

Discussion in 'Off Topic Hot Rods & Customs' started by loveoftiki, May 14, 2024.

1. True day two cars were before my time, i graduated in 1985 in the rust belt. The few clean muscle cars were WAY out of my price range anything i could afford was way beyond day two. My current 68 chevelle project will be my version of day two. The car will be fairly stock appearing but have cragars, headers, a 427 instead of a 396, a bunch of upgrades that won’t be very noticeable. I’m not hung up on period correct (69-72) parts. New cragars are hard enough to get and vintage intakes can be a hassle also. Nothing too modern will show. Basically what i’m building is what i wish i could’ve in the 80’s.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
  2. Deuces

Deuces

3. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I totally love this look. I'm 58, and this is how they were when I was a kid. When guys started doing stock restorations on the muscle cars in the mid 80's, I thought they looked so goofy with skinnies out back, especially the cars with the big rear quarter panel bulge ('69 E body, Mopar, Chargers, Camaro/Firebird, Mach 1. They just look right with fat rubber and Cragar S/S's. I had a '71 Chevelle SS 454 with the look.

Deuces, Sharpone, lumpy 63 and 3 others like this.
  4. Absolutely Perfect Day 2 car right here….

IMG_4526.jpeg IMG_4523.jpeg IMG_4524.jpeg IMG_4525.jpeg

5. racer67x

racer67x

I always hated the "Day 2" designation..brought on by the gold chainers with their quarter million dollar cars that never get driven.

6. Seems to me that more of the original muscle car crowd…

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^This. Oh and cup holders are more Day Three or possibly even Four. :cool: I hid one in the jockey box but the 8 tracks make it hard to get to.
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  8. Back when they were daily drivers..this is also the first Kmart in the US, Garden City, Mi..now a vacant lot…
    IMG_4573.jpeg

1929rats, 65pacecar, scotty t and 6 others like this.
  9. Dig the tow tabs….
    IMG_4626.jpeg

10. AMC…..come on…
    IMG_4672.jpeg

1929rats, rod1, brando1956 and 2 others like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always wanted a 69 AMX with Donahue livery.

Deuces likes this.
  12. badshifter

badshifter

13. RmK57

RmK57

14. RmK57

RmK57

Real day 2. Pop the hubcaps and go racing….

IMG_0823.jpeg

15. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

290 (Yes, 290) 4-speed

amx 290.jpg

From the original post (not me):

brando1956 and Deuces like this.
  16. Man that’s $$$$$ today…

17. Deuces

Deuces

A plain GT with a 428???....

18. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

When I was a kid it wasn’t anything out of the ordinary to see a newer big block Camaro, Road Runner or GTO with mags on the front and black wheels with studded snow tires on the rear. I grew up in South Dakota where winter happens and it wasn’t uncommon for a cammed up muscle car was driven every day.

b-body-bob and Deuces like this.
  19. RmK57

RmK57

It’s not a GT. Plain Sportsroof Mustang.
    cobra jet.jpeg

20. Deuces

Deuces

Those are pretty rare including the coupes with the 428 scj drag-pack setup.....

chevy57dude and loudbang like this.
  21. Man, those early fastbacks were some neat looking cars. Perfect proportions. Always loved the 3/4 view.
    [​IMG]

b-body-bob, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  22. Great profile…if only those rear tires were some M&H Racemasters or Pie crust slicks and the fronts were some pro tracs on cragars…

chevy57dude likes this.
  23. gene-koning

gene-koning

Day 2 was more symbolic then an actual thing, I believe. At least around here it was what the guys changed after they bought their performance cars. It didn't take long before the guys figured out that if the bought the cheaper versions of the performance model, the insurance was a lot cheaper, and the original buy was cheaper, even if you bought the biggest, baddest motor available in the base model car, so most bought the base model with the big motor. Then they took it home, and added more stuff as they could afford it. It was by far cheaper to make the trip to the local Sears, J C Penny, or what ever stores catered to the young guy car market, then it was to buy the car with the cool stuff on it from the factory.

I worked at a J C Penny Auto Center in 1977 & 78. That auto center was run by younger guys and we sold, and installed, a lot of performance stuff. I was the afternoon and evening installer. Even that late in the game, that aftermarket stuff was still hot sellers. Our auto center was one of the last auto centers J C Penny had before they closed them all down.

A lot of what I see posted here is way past the "day 2" time frame. The aftermarket sales were such a strong influence that most younger guys today have no idea what most of those original performance cars actually left the factory with. Most of the modern "restored" Muscle cars we see now with the small hub caps and skinny tires, were the base models the guys bought, then took home and added the cool parts to. There really were not many high optioned performance cars originally sold, and when you see one without factory mags, its probably a lie. One of the first options most chose, after the big motor, were factory fancy wheels and tires, but from the factory, there were all the same size. Buying them locally you could get bigger rear tires and smaller front tires for less money then the factory option.

b-body-bob, chevy57dude and Deuces like this.
  24. Make America Great Again…
    Let’s head to the mall and get some parts…and pay with our store credit card…
    IMG_4777.jpeg IMG_4776.jpeg IMG_4775.jpeg

25. Another thing about starting with a cheaper model and adding what you want. Many times to get some options you have to accept a lot of crap you don't want. So many people like myself could leave out the filler options as they're adding the few they want

Deuces, SS327 and chevy57dude like this.
  26. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Maybe a bit of a stretch but day1 IMG_3599.jpeg

and day2
    IMG_3600.jpeg

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

'68.5 428 SCJ????....

Junior Stock likes this.
  28. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yes
    Driven by Gas Ronda at the the 68 Winternationals then owned by Lloyd Bray and DG Gillam

rod1, loudbang and Deuces like this.