Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Barris custom could be yours

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MCjim, Jun 21, 2024.

1. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Man, it looks great..... I would guess 50 grand....

Stogy, Sharpone, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

How much does it weigh?

29A-V8 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. williebill

williebill

That's so awesome! That's the real deal. Hope it's clean underneath, and that crusty battery hasn't leaked. I'd love to have it. Seller should have cleaned it up at least a little.

Stogy, Sharpone and Squablow like this.
  7. I’d drive it

Stogy, Sharpone, 29A-V8 and 2 others like this.
  8. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

9. Squablow

Squablow

I really like this one, it's pretty clean and elegant for a Barris car, I would definitely own it with pride. I wonder what it'll take to get it back on the road.

I have no idea what to value it at. The Barris/Jeffries ties have to add quite a bit of value, but after seeing that "Joanne's Dream" custom Oldsmobile truck sell for absolute pennies, I'm not sure the big dollar buyers are really out there for a car like this.

On one hand, it's sad to see it offered in filthy condition parked in a barn like this. But on the other hand, I'm glad someone didn't go wild with a buffer and an SOS pad trying to fluff it up for a sale, potentially spoiling the preservation.

Stogy, Roothawg, Sancho and 5 others like this.
  10. Jay McDonald

Jay McDonald

I love that they listed it as found, what you see is what it is.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. fuzzface

fuzzface

was it found or always in that family? might explain why it was never molested if it is still family owned. Bill and Bob glazier that had it built were from North Bend washington. The ad has it being listed in north bend Washington. the sellers phone number comes to a female medical doctor in spokane washington which is something like 250 miles apart. So if it isn't still in the family, it traveled very little out of its circle. quite often cars disappear completely from the area they originated from and get changed over the years but this one is still home or close to home.

Stogy, Squablow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I dont think it is worth more than $25/30 thousand

mikhett and Joe Colley like this.
  13. JD Miller

JD Miller

I had one of those McCulloch superchargers. Got from Gammels

14. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Dusty & ravaged by time, some folks pay more for as found pieces of history or prefer to do the cleanup themselves.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I bet there are not many original paint examples of Barris’s work from the era left, or Jeffries striping for that matter

Stogy, 19Eddy30, Ford52PU and 12 others like this.
  16. Well, it's one of the 'lesser known' Barris customs so there's that. How much mechanical work will it need? Probably brakes, fuel system, transmission if automatic, will all need at least some work. And tellingly, there's zero pics of the interior which likely means it's been eaten by rodents. No pics of the rear of the car either, body damage? If the seller finds a deep-pockets buyer who just has to have a 'Barris' car, I'd guess at a low $30K price. Anybody else, high teens/low 20s...

partssaloon and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Considering the number of hardcore Barris fans out there it’s possible the price tag could come close to $100k

26 T Ford RPU and 49ratfink like this.
  18. 51 mercules

51 mercules

What a cool car! Wish I had the money!

Stogy likes this.
  19. fuzzface

fuzzface

Looking it over again and reading the Kandy Wagon plaque it says John and Bill Glazier as owners and not Bob and Bill Glazier that I read someplace else. anyways John and Bill were twins and John died back in 2012.

I don't think it was shown much or used much. it was being built/headlight modification with 1958 truck bezels but also in the background is the wild kat truck that burnt in the 1958 fire. plus when you look at the jeffries signature on the front he has it initialed 58 I believe, maybe it is 59 but those are the only years that would fit if i am thinking right. Plus it was in a 1960 car magazine. Or is it actually 60 with part of it rubbed of making it look like a 5 because that last number sure looks like a 0 to me but 50 time line doesn't fit and if you look at the last letter in jeffries the s is only half there, anyone know for sure when this was actually built? i was thinking it was 58 with the top of the 8 missing but anyways it is from either 1958-1960 when it was done

I also couldn't blow up the license plate decently to read the year when it was being striped but the license plate that is on it now only reads 63. so if it appeared in a magazine in 1960 it had to be pretty decent work(for the time) and to have only 63 plates on it in storage, it wasn't out in public eye in over 60 years so i can see people not knowing about this custom, I know I didn't. I can see why it still is very solid looking unchanged condition from here.

20. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Kind of sucks that in the ad it states It was built by George Barris when in reality It probably wasn't touched it by him at all. Maybe bill Hynes or junior Conway. I think his brother Sam was gone by then.

21. My old bosses got credit for stuff I worked on.

Never bothered me. Their names were on the business

22. That one looks to be very tastefully done. Not over the top like a lot of customs.

49Olds and 49ratfink like this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm wondering if that genuine barn find dust will hurt more than help the sale price.
    With that plate it has been off the road since the mid 60's and I can't remember if they put a year sticker on the front plate in the years it was used after 63 or just on the back plate. It may be one of the lucky cars that didn't go back to the custom shop after it's time limit on the show circuit without changes ran out. It was probably shown in the PNW in 61/62.
    Cool car and I hope it finds a home that respects it for what it is and doesn't plan to "update" it.

24. 57Fury440

57Fury440

I still can't understand why it is so hard to cover a car that is stored indoors.

25. racer67x

racer67x

looks like it sat a long time in the spot pictured...the only question I have is whats in those old safes?
    lol

26. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Curious as to no VIN in the listing.

27. Squablow

Squablow

It may have been covered, it's dusty but it's not caked in bird shit or anything. A light indoor cover will still get the car dusty after 60 years. Heavy covers often do more damage than good.

Stogy, rod1, badshifter and 3 others like this.
  28. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't care for the styling .. Build a clone if it rocks your boat

The37Kid likes this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Current owner can't afford to wash the car. Sad state of affairs', 2024.

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks pretty cool to me.