Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods George Poteet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A23, Jul 16, 2024.

1. rustymetal

rustymetal

RIP would have loved to have met the man

Sharpone likes this.
  2. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Damn……Godspeed.

Sharpone likes this.
  3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RIP George.

Sharpone and Happydaze like this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

I read an article/interview about George and it told the story of how he obtained the means to fund his way of life, it was pretty amazing. It sad a lot about him as a person and by the end, the sort of person that you would like to Meet just hoping that some of what he had would rub off! Anyone remember this? A Man is known by The Friends he makes and the Good that he does. In George, we lost a Great one.

Montana1, Rawrench, Sharpone and 4 others like this.
  5. RIP George
    These pics are from the day he went 481 out the big end, then put the "small" engine in the car and tried to set a record in a different class
    20200812_105427.jpg 20200813_110800.jpg

Montana1, Sharpone, Outback and 12 others like this.
  6. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Dang. What a guy. Anyone else have any stories?

Sharpone and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

George was his own little economy in the hot rod and speed world. RIP, George and thanks for the memories!

9. Every time you read an article about a car he had built you got a feeling he was a good guy, and the cars were usually very tastefully done. This is sad to hear.

10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

In 2015, I brought my 57 Ford back to the Detroit Autorama and displayed in the basement. George had a killer 36 Ford but it was a matte finish and he displayed it downstairs as well. I was lucky enough to get parked next to him and I was able to chat with him a bit throughout the weekend. Obviously I knew who he was and he was totally down-to-earth and just a regular, nice guy to interact with. It was obvious from speaking to him though that he was a person of stature, not just in the auto community, but someone who exuded class and success in all aspects of his life. I don't think folks like that get enough credit for that, extraordinary people being humble and unpretentious. After chatting, he took a look at my car and left me with, "Those Edsel tail lights look great. You did a great job". And let's be honest, affirmation from folks in the community that we respect is the highest compliment you can get. Made my weekend.
    10996067_10155319582295436_4824976551695085148_n.jpg

Outside of builders and folks who literally earn their living in the automotive realm, there are few people who have done more for the hobby that he has. RIP

Montana1, Sharpone, Outback and 25 others like this.
  11. Man, we're losing so many good guys, ...the guy lived the dream, loved almost any car he had built,...a true legend. RIP

Sharpone and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(.........We are all a little poorer this morning with Mr. Poteet gone.

Montana1, Sharpone, Happydaze and 7 others like this.
  13. brady1929

brady1929

I met him once and he was really nice to me. He will be missed.

Sharpone and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Meet Poteet a couple of times. First at the Nats East. Sitting with the group I ran with. Fellow in bibb coveralls, white tee and white tenny runners walks up and wants to know if the 34 Sedan was for sale. Stan said "it could be" and George asked if they could take a ride. As they loaded up George handed his cooler to one of us to "keep an eye on it". They got back from the ride, George walked up, grabbed the cooler and started pulling out stacks of $100 bills.

Second time was at the Halloween run in Tupelo, MS. He was there with a black 36 roadster pickup. Someone had keyed the car from front to back. Mike and I were expressing outrage on who could do such a thing. This voice behind us said "it's only a car, it can be fixed". We turned around and it was George. Very nice, unassuming man. He spoke humbly of his car building and graciously of the folks that did the work.

Montana1, Rawrench, Sharpone and 7 others like this.
  15. das858

das858

In 1996 George and his crew were in Lincoln Nebraska for Americruise doing a photo shoot near my house . We stopped and talked to him for a long time , and before it was over he invited me and my family to his house for a vacation the following summer. I've been kicking myself ever since for not taking him up on his offer . RIP George.

16. 20200812_115852.jpg 20200812_120050.jpg 20200812_115920.jpg 20200812_114835.jpg 20200812_115907.jpg
    I took this photo after his 480 pass and asked him if that was something he worried about and his reply was if it did blow out he would not know about it for about a mile later and nothing could be done about it. Not worried he said 20200812_115852.jpg 20200812_120050.jpg 20200812_115920.jpg

Montana1, Sharpone, Outback and 9 others like this.
  17. They were shredded but still held air..

Sharpone likes this.
  18. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup

Growing up, I always heard crazy rumors about this guy just outside the Memphis area whose cars were the cream of the crop, built by these top notch shops, and the number of cars he owned always seemed to grow every time he was talked about. I finally met him 2 years ago at the Memphis Rodders Reunion and he could not have been a nicer guy. To be grieved in such a way by so many is a testament to how great of a guy he was and the impact he had.

Some friends of mine were able to interview him a couple years ago. I don't want to share this to promote it but to help share the stories that George tells and jokes about. He will be sorely missed.

19. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

I never met the man but admired him and so many of his cars. This is the first car of his that I photographed. I always remembered his name after this photo. Taken at a Columbus motel - NSRA Nationals ....early 1980's. R.I.P Mr. Poteet. George Poteet T.jpg

20. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Sad to hear, certainly lived the dream.

Sharpone likes this.
  21. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I met Mr. Poteet at the HHRR in 2016 with his new at the time Torino.
    Class act, he will be sorely missed.
    Godspeed sir.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

A name I have been familiar with from the first time I opened a car magazine. Someone who truely attained myth/ legend status to so many of us while still walking this earth. Something pretty incredible about that.

The impact he made on an entire industry, hobby, what ever you want to call our chunk of the world is massive and undeniable. We are all better off because he existed.

Hope you’re up there clanking glasses and talking cars with all the other greats that have gone before.

NoSurf, Sharpone, HEMI32 and 7 others like this.
  23. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

24. deuceman32

deuceman32

@Tim, I couldn't say it any better than you just did. Godspeed Mr Poteet.

25. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RIP sir. Read about his cars when I was younger. They were always cool.

26. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

George was the consummate hot rodder. He will be missed by our community. Does anyone know what happened to him?

27. Met him in at Texas Motor Speedway Goodguys in about 2015. I had just started building my '49 Ford coupe for Bonneville. We talked for 10-15 minutes and he loaded me up with advice and suggestions. Helluva a guy. RIP George.

28. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

RIP George Poteet.
    Every time I read about him, his cars, his adventures I thought. . . . If I didn't have to worry about money I would be exactly like this guy.

29. Curt Six

Curt Six

I spoke with George a handful of times over the years when I was writing articles about his cars. Always super friendly and very to-the-point. I remember a story Ray Bartlett at the East Coast Hot Rod Garage told me. They built a killer little '34 Ford pickup for him, and since they built a new chassis for it the original chassis was set aside as a complete roller. A local kid was interested in it, so Ray called George and asked him what he wanted for it. George said, "Give it to him. Any kid building a hot rod needs all the help he can get." I'm sorry to hear he's gone, but man...what a life.

Rawrench, Sharpone, HEMI32 and 21 others like this.