Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Show me your B17 air/fuel tanks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jeff.l.hecht, May 25, 2023.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks to everyone that posted, Dad was a B-17 Armorer, always enjoy reading about B-17 history. Bob

Deuces and chevy57dude like this.
  2. 1952henry

1952henry

IMG_0866.jpeg One of 2 or 3 I have. Believe these are mounting brackets for aircraft. Some jobber in the 50s added to it and made a roll around compressor unit. Motor and pump were junk.

Attached Files:

Deuces and Okie Pete like this.
  3. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

I haven't seen any around these parts. I do have a beer keg saved for a fuel tank someday.

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Haven't seen any around here either, I too have a beer keg though.. although it's a mini beer keg. About the size of the old gasser grille mount moon gas tanks.

Thought about polishing it up and using it on a go-kart for grandkids...

5. alchemy

alchemy

Snoc, what swap meets do you get to around these parts? I see one at about every other swap meet.

6. I have two of them that I bought to co-join to make a gas tank for my 34 coupe. Will need to put some baffles and other such fun inside of them.

Deuces likes this.
  7. Cool 33

Cool 33

Here is the one I got about 25 years ago. It is stainless steel and weighs about 80 lbs. It is laying in the bed of my 1933 Ford BB 1 ton. Everything is bigger in Texas! 000_0780.JPG

Deuces, Okie Pete and chevy57dude like this.
  8. douglasb

douglasb

Here's what I did with mine. 2 with stainless crossovers. Mounted on the sides to the roll bar. With a clear fuel hose. 20240308_142733.jpg 20230324_125257.jpg

Deuces, Okie Pete, OLLIN and 5 others like this.
  9. lemondana

lemondana
    from Lincoln NE

I always thought they were made out of aluminum, they are so light. My small town Mobil station had one for an air tank, and it was light when I was a little kid. If they were made out of stainless-that would have been alot of extra weight on those bombers.

Deuces likes this.
  10. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Perhaps not. Stainless has a far higher tensile strength than aluminum (depending on exact alloy) so with a stronger material you can get away with less thickness, the weight could end upp around the same for the same strength tank.
    This kind of trade off works well in a device only under tension such as a pressurized vessel, in other designs you may have to take stiffness and other properties in account too. In such a case case the big thickness reduction would usually mean it becomes far more flimsy too.

Okie Pete and rod1 like this.
  11. Jeff34

Jeff34

Working around hospitals, I often see workers sucking on an oxygen tube early in the AM before heading into surgery...it works great!

12. scoob_daddy

scoob_daddy
    from Georgia

Sorry, I've since gone another direction.

13. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Found this one in a barn sale out east. Not installed but still in use.

Attached Files:

14. Sprout

Sprout

bttt

Deuces likes this.
  15. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

In the fwiw & might solve a problem category;
    Iffen you're running two(or more) tanks, IH used a fuel-flow-switch on the '60s-'74 Pu's & Travelalls, on some early Scouts, as well as up-to 2.5T trucks; that used dual tanks. Mounted on the dash, short pull to switch tanks, ~ 1/4 turn to switch the fuel-level gauge readings. No JY around? For used, could try the BinderPlanet.com, or LightLine of Louisiana for new parts.
    Marcus...

16. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Bennett's Customs has a couple of videos on youtube showing him making a couple. Guy is very talented and creative.

1-SHOT, Steve009, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  17. jeff.l.hecht

jeff.l.hecht

He does amazing work, I wonder what it would cost to have all that work done?

jordabennett likes this.
  18. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I just bought one yesterday at an auction. still has the stenciling and orig paint. embarassed to say what I paid.

Okie Pete, chevy57dude and Sprout like this.
  19. MTM

MTM

I have owned one for years with the intention of using it as a fuel tank for my model A. I was pleased to learn in this thread that they are stainless and not aluminum like I had assumed.

Sprout and Okie Pete like this.
  20. Steve009

Steve009
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ottawa

the stands he made for the big one are also super nice. he's a member here on the HAMB @jordabennett

jordabennett likes this.
  21. Leeroy

Leeroy
    from Boerne, TX

Here’s how I did one in a ‘29 roadster. The tank mounted with brackets to the roll bar. The large T-bolt clamps are from a marine supply place. The stainless fittings and aluminum cap are from Tanks Inc. The tank is a little on the small side as it only holds 9 gallons- but the car was designed to be a short distance bar hopper.

Attached Files:

22. Great thread with some good info.

Okie Pete likes this.
  23. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

They were in these. This one has Studebaker Radials on it and the Turbo were made by Maytag. Thats the last military aircraft I flew. We had just replaced 2 Turbos on it, they were New Old Stock and we just had to test them before it went back to the Confederate Air Force. This was around 1970.

Attached Files:

jet996, Okie Pete and sidevalve8ba like this.
  24. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great idea, very cool!

25. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Bitchin looking lights

26. gotmark73

gotmark73

Mine is currently in a "ready to be converted to a gas tank" condition.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  27. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

28. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Gotmark73 What is the shear point on those kingpins?

29. My cousin had one he said I could have, he used it as an air tank in his racing days.

Before I could get over to pick it up his son in law started ramming and jamming with a backhoe and ran over it!
    He also broke the front clip off my cousin’s first race car that was still in the backyard, a car that had raced in the Peratex NASCAR sportsman/modified race at Daytona!