Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New to me 50 ford coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by MattMFC, Aug 20, 2024.

1. MattMFC

MattMFC

Long time listener, first time caller
    I just picked up this 50 ford coupe. In process of searching but figured I'd get ahead of myself and ask

Will the front vent windows come with chrome edging or will it go on new glass?

Turn signals?

And here's the crazy one, seatbelts?

I've got 100 more but imma look around a little

Attached Files:

Okie Pete, Toms Dogs, hfh and 4 others like this.
  2. People in Tennessee use blinkers? When I was in Memphis I never saw one flash lol

GasserTodd and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. MattMFC

MattMFC

They don't lmao, but I'm already a ticket magnet. Trying to avoid just one reason to get pulled over

The Chevy Pope likes this.
  4. Hutkikz

Hutkikz

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you have the makings for a nice ride.
    No, the new glass fits into the old chrome surround.

What are you asking?

Seatbelts were an option on some cars until 1968 when they became mandatory.
    You can get kits to retrofit them, Highly recommended

Kelly Burns likes this.
  5. MattMFC

MattMFC

Hey thanks for the response.
    As far as blinkers, I presume they used them, had them, ignored them same as today but I don't see provisions for a switch anywhere.

6. I just always grab one of those add on turn signal sectors. Hold on I'll grab a pic of the one in my 53 bel air

MattMFC likes this.
  7. Usually around $20-30 IMG_20240820_203143968.jpg

Okie Pete likes this.
  8. MattMFC

MattMFC

Excellent. Thanks guys.

Driving it home today, I couldn't roll window down far enough to use hand signals...not that it mattered everyone just thought i was waving

Okie Pete and Squablow like this.
  9. They were probably confused by that modern a turn signal tech ;). Nearly got pulled over near German Town FOR using blinkers once. Cop told me when he saw me at a gas station down the road. Said only thing that stopped him was my Arkansas plates lol

seadog and MattMFC like this.
  10. MattMFC

MattMFC

Do all the windows have that chrome trim on the glass or just the vents/rear? Is it like pretty much every other car and side glass has the top edge chrome?

Petejoe likes this.
  11. Im honestly not sure on shoebox fords

12. There is no chrome trim on any coupe glass except for the aforementioned front vent windows and tilt-out rears of the Custom (with rear seat). The business coupe (shelf rather than a seat) rear windows are fixed with no trim.

MattMFC likes this.
  13. By the way, you have about a million other things to address before you are totally happy with her/it.....

Check out my website for more. Seat belts and about a million other subjects are covered there.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
  14. MattMFC

MattMFC

Boy don't I know it. Grill, glass, hinges, etc etc

Thanks for the info. I'll check out your website
    Edit, what's your website? Lol

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. ....No one under 30 understands this or what that little lever on the left of the steering column is used for.:rolleyes:

16. ^^^You can avoid thumbnails by hitting the "full image" button before the "post reply" button.^^^^:D

17. MattMFC

MattMFC

Thanks, been a while since I've been active on a forum

18. MattMFC

MattMFC

This one has me stumped

The hood latch plate?

Doesn't look like anyone makes one(everyone does for F1s) only found one on fleabay.

Any ideas?

19. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When my wife and I got a 327 powered, hot rod project, 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery a long time ago, it was very odd to drive it home without wearing seat belts. But, it was about an hour drive and it felt weird. As soon as I got home, my wife said as she was sitting in the bucket seats, “When are you going to install some seatbelts that match the light tan seats?” She liked the upholstered bucket seats, but did not like it that there were no seat belts.

So, we drove to the local Chevy dealer and bought a set of 2, matching color seat belts, although our bucket seats came out of a foreign car. We could have put in the retractable seat/shoulder belts, but there is no strong provision inside of the sedan delivery to make it safe. Our last choice was to put in the 5 point racing harness+ lap belts. But knowing my wife, the bottom section straps would be uncomfortable for daily driving.

The one thing the parts guy told us was to get a wider washer than provided and use both of them when installing as per instructions. The wider washer will give any installation, a larger surface on the floorboard to spread out the force when pulled tighter in an emergency. The stock bolts and washer for each side was ok, but the additional wider washer was extra measure of safety. Same hole, same bolts and it just gave it a wide base for more pull strength. We never crashed or had an accident to see if the belts worked.
    upload_2024-8-21_3-50-5.png
    Jnaki

Luckily, I had installed them, as the following week after months of rebuilding and repairing the 327 powered sedan delivery, we got stopped at one of those So Cal CHP vehicle check points. The CHP officer that waved us into the inspection area had wide eyes, as he thought a “ringer” for his claim to get as many violations as he could for this hot rod… When he came to the seat belt installation, he said it was well done and after several other vehicle checks, he waved us onward… YRMV

Note:

Before we bought the 327 powered 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, we had looked at a 50 Ford Coupe. The choice for the coupe was that with the rear seat backs taken out, my surfboard would fit inside when parked at the beach or stopped for a lunch at a diner, sight unseen. The board was long enough to store away and not sticking out of the rear or on a surf rack on top. But, the seller was not a nice man and my wife shut down the purchase.

captaintaytay and MattMFC like this.
  20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Where are you from? There are lot of us all over the world that are willing to lend help, time, parts, etc to just about anyone. I, for instance, have a stash of Shoebox Ford parts in my backyard and garage ripe for the picking.

21. ...Looks like he has Tennessee plates on the car. Beyond that, who knows.

MattMFC and flatheadpete like this.
  22. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am building a 50 Ford two door and am pretty far along with the body. I will eventually post a build thread but, in the meantime, if you have questions, feel free to message me directly.

23. Here is my website address. As for the seat belts scroll down to the gallery called " the interior" and go to page two and scroll down a little ways for what I used

https://www.49fordcoupe.com/

MattMFC and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. I don't remember the exact 3-point seat belts I used but here is one that's very similar if not the same. If you look at the kits and colors they never say anything about the angle bracket to mount it to the floor for the reel mount, but they do show it in their instructions so tap on the instructions in scroll that..

https://www.wescoperformance.com/resebe.html#welr

bobss396, MattMFC and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

There was another Shoebox Ford post in Gen Disc within the last two months or so, asking about turn signals, and what was needed to add them/make the front parking/turn signal lights functional, but I can't seem to find it.

Long story short, and IIRC, not all '49-'51s came with column mounted turn signals from the factory. I'm sure someone can provide the details of what is needed to add them if your car is not so-equipped.

MattMFC likes this.
  26. MattMFC

MattMFC

I'm in NE TN. I'd love to root through your pile of parts

37hotrod and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. MattMFC

MattMFC

Thanks everyone for all the help. And cool stories.

28. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

They do understand the universal single finger "you are number 1" signal though. :D

hotrodjack33 and lothiandon1940 like this.