Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Alex Xydias

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 26, 2024.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Alex Xydias

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well said. I've known and lost a couple of friends like Mr. Xydias, always looking for answers.

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I got the chance to meet Alex when he traveled North with Pete to the Portland Roadster Show in ‘98 to promote the revival of So Cal Speed Shop. It was great to reunite with Pete, and visit with Alex, quite the dignified gentleman. Another Legend lost, RIP Alex.

Sharpone, tractorguy, rod1 and 8 others like this.
  4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Thanks for posting this Ryan.

Sharpone, hrm2k, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  5. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Well said indeed. Men like him are national treasures and their numbers are decreasing daily. I’m in awe of Alex, as well as Ed Iskendarian and others, who came up through the depression, made it through WW2, came home and did great things. I’ve always figured after what they’d been through, they had no fear of anything they might try once home. We owe them a debt of gratitude. You are correct in that we should all aspire to be more like those fellas.

6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I worked for Alex when he was the publisher of HOT ROD INDUSTRY NEWS. We became friends and I always looked forward to seeing him at the GNRS. He never failed to send in the paperwork to the California Secretary of State to maintain the So-Cal Speed Shop name long after he had closed the doors. Not many people are aware of the fact that Dean Batchelor, long time editor of ROAD & TRACK and author of HISTORY of HOT RODDING, worked with Alex and drove the So-Cal streamliner to a number of records on the salt flats. Above all else, Alex was a genuine gentleman. I shall miss him

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of his DNA is in my roadster, I thought of that this morning on my top down drive in to work this morning. I am sorry I never met the man, my sympathy to his family on their loss. What a life he had, and a well earned rest.

8. Indeed, his was a life well lived. From racing at Bonneville and El Mirage to starting and maintaining SoCal Speed Shop. Quite extraordinary for a guy who has been fixture in this hobby for a long time.

9. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

So True Ryan. One of the greats. I Relate to your perception.
    But that is why 'the reaper' is called grim.:(
    I have always thought that the Great Depression is what gave this country the strength to win.
    They made their own way through the years.
    Today kids only stick out their hand for a reward

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

all these Hot Rodders of his generation did such a good job of it we ignore what is going on in modern car culture and choose to live in the past.

11. A true national treasure.
    IMG_7644.jpeg

Sharpone, rod1, catdad49 and 7 others like this.
  12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

I knew his passing was gonna kick your ass Ryan, so I was reluctant to open this post. Great man, wonderful tribute. Sorry, bro ... :(

14. I was saying this to a friend yesterday. Mr. Xydias had a "life well lived" and we should all be so lucky. I'm not sad he's gone. I'm happy he lived and paved the way for us all. We all owe him(and others) so much.

That all being said.

"Heros get remembered. Legends never die."

And he is most definitely a legend!

RIP to the OG.

-Hitch

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I’ve written this shit four or five times now. Every so often, I’d come up for air, realize I’d cranked out 1,500 words of rambling nonsense that no one would want to read, then delete the whole damn thing and start over.

Other times, I’d just sit there, staring at that first sentence like a deer in the headlights, half an hour gone and nothing to show for it.

I detest writing these things. I’d rather rip my own fingernails out with a pair of rusty pliers and no numbing agents.

winr, Sharpone, tractorguy and 10 others like this.
  16. Speccie

Speccie

Sorry for the loss of your friend and the loss of a legend.

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

Sometimes we will NEVER know the value of a Moment,.... Until it becomes a Memory.

I've had to say good by to way too many friends over the years,... And it never gets easier.. Enjoy them, listen to them, revere and respect them spend time with them while there still here... Let them know you care about them.... The clock of time is wound but once.

So long Alex....

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A legend that was without a doubt true in life. Condolences to you and so many others here who were close, as in friends of this man. That certainly makes for a more heartfelt loss. Thankfully his legacy will be never be forgotten for what he has done and left us. The heavens just got a little brighter with his shooting star. Godspeed Alex.

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I would like to think that Pete bringing So Cal back, could have been a factor to his long life. It certainly enriched plenty of ours.

20. autobilly

autobilly

"I aspire to live like Alex did… to think like he did… and you should too."- Yep!

Sharpone, osage orange, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  21. guy1unico

guy1unico

Never met Alex but I wonder how you live to 102 after all the sleepless crazy nights all the business problems all the racing expenses all the people meeting moments all the family dynamics...there is only one thing that seemed to maybe keep Alex in the game so long his love of hot rodding...long live hot rodding!

22. autobilly

autobilly

23. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Agree. The term "the Greatest Generation" is one they truly earned.

Cheers,
    Harv

24. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

A worthy tribute to his life's accomplishments I have alway been in awe of.

Sharpone likes this.
  25. brady1929

brady1929

Another great one lost. RIP.

Sharpone likes this.
  26. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wonderful insights.
    @Ryan , you were... yes, "blessed" is the word... to have known him personally and called him a friend. The rest of us wish we could have been that fortunate.
    What a life!

Sharpone likes this.
  27. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Legend....

Sharpone likes this.
  28. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stolen line from a great old Beatles song,
    "Step on the gas and wipe that tear away"
    Alex definitely stepped on the gas and hauled ass with great style and a killer smile!
    The man definitely left a mark on the salt portion of this planet!

Sharpone likes this.
  29. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

RIP to one the greats. Truly an innovator , able to adapt to adversity with resounding success.
    He lived the life that many of us dream of
    The autographed copy of his book takes a place among the few treasures of mine.
    Hammer the throttle on your journey to Heaven!

Sharpone and osage orange like this.