Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured Technical Hunt for the Perfect Gas Cap

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Aug 30, 2024.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Hunt for the Perfect Gas Cap

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Ned Ludd, 41 GMC K-18 and jnaki like this.
  2. 34Phil

34Phil

Last edited: Sep 5, 2024
    Vic Walter, Deuces, MMM1693 and 3 others like this.
  3. Thinking on it......
    I guess I'm a minimalist. The plain chrome dome, miniature 'babymoon' cap suits me just fine. It's not an invite to sticky fingers, liable to disappear in 2 seconds or less....... and replaceable if needed. And being that minimalistic, any embossing feels like too much distracting clutter to my sensitivities.
    However, an escutcheon around the cap and filler neck might be just the right custom touch to stand out from the herd.

4. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

A Ford tractor radiator cap would look great, but it's radiator cap. I'd look for a vintage motorcycle cap. A simple painted one would be cool, but maybe you could find one with an Indian logo embossed in it. If you're Catholic maybe find one with a St Christophers medal just because you always want to be safe in your hot rod.

Just Gary likes this.
  5. IMO, you're asking the wrong question.

The better question is "What did 1950s street roadster builders actually run?"

The answer to that question is most likely either stock Ford or something from a racecar, or possibly military surplus.

I chose a locking '48 Ford cap for my mid '60's style sedan:
    20240321_174220.jpg

verno30, Deuces, hotrodharry2 and 9 others like this.
  6. Anderson

Anderson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can hide it, hide it. If you can’t, a factory (style) cap is always the best. And because I know it will come up, those overdetailed aluminum flip top things are just horrible.
    IMG_4720.jpeg

lo c dan, Deuces, NealinCA and 8 others like this.
  7. Silva

Silva

IMHO, I would keep the filler hidden in the trunk compartment and follow the KISS principle.

8. My thoughts too; keep it inside.

roadster tank battery.jpg

9. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

IMG_2994.jpeg IMG_1192.jpeg I chose the hide it behind a pull down license plate route IMG_1192.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2024
    Vic Walter, GTHOtrod, Deuces and 10 others like this.
  10. Inside fill you have to worry about spillage. I've always hated that. Especially with a finished trunk.

This is my late 50s built channeled roadster.
    20240830_102117.jpg 20240830_102127.jpg

This is the bell Auto Parts Special. No filler any more on this one, but you can see the old hole in the quarter. Car was likely restored in the 80s. Old channeled hot rod body too. I'm less fond of this position than the tulip panel. But thought it was worth posting.

20240830_102202.jpg

Deuces, BigJoeArt, -Brent- and 8 others like this.
  11. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Because I run one of these #1and love louvers I run one of these with a locking cap inside #4 and my license plate. I like black and polished aluminum IMG_3264.jpeg IMG_4854.jpeg IMG_4853.jpeg IMG_1217.jpeg IMG_1622.jpeg

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I went with plain jane vented cap centered above deck lid for easy access from either side of the pump.

13. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

Check out marine gas caps. Great variety of simple screw on styles . I used one on my speedster , modified to give more of a race car look . Relatively inexpensive on amazon .

Just Gary and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  14. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The perfect gas cap is the one that doesn’t leak under hard acceleration, cornering, or braking.

15. 05snopro440

05snopro440

A friend almost lost his 50 Chevy pickup because the battery shorted out while he was working under it in the garage. Battery was behind the seat. He was lucky enough to get it out, but lost the whole interior and paint off the cab (battery was behind the seat). The proximity of your battery to that fuel line and fuel tank give me pause for those reasons. Maybe a sealed box vented elsewhere for the battery would be better in this case?

5window likes this.
  16. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thrift an second hand stores often have ashtray or medal candy dish,with a 3D figure on them,some are brass,an cheep< but cool if used for a cap.
    At first back in the early 60s,when I put my beerkeg on,as a tank,I madec a wood bung to look like a belayingpin. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2024
    Okie Pete and Outback like this.
  17. goldmountain

goldmountain

I am more of the get a really big get in your face mentality of gas caps camp. Running a repro Cobra flip cap. 4 1/2" diameter and impossible to leave it behind at the pump when you fill up. Getting old and forgetful at times. I figure sports cars were very popular back in the fifties so it must be legit.

Ned Ludd and Just Gary like this.
  18. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a threaded fuel cap (actually it's marked diesel:) on the roadster. I believe boats also use them. It's got a chain so you can't lose it. The down side it really isn't old timey:( IMG_5164.JPG

Deuces, Okie Pete and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  19. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I haven't seen it but could you use a 46-8 gas door on the tulip panel? It would possibly risk becoming mistaken for something modern?? Just another thought to throw in the mix?

vtx1800 likes this.
  20. 32partsguy

32partsguy
    from DFW,Texas!

I probably have one of the most expensive gas caps in history. That's not a brag, that's a realization of my OCD, or detail orientation, stubborness, or stupidness, take your pick. But I got what I wanted, and am super happy with the end result. I wanted the stock style, chrome gas cap on my '32 tank, but I wanted absolutely NO LEAKAGE PERIOD. Stock traditional looks, with modern guts. So this is how I achieved this. First let me say I didn't do it myself. I came up with the plan, and the parts, but the Veazie Bros. in Pomona, CA (former employees of the So-Cal Speed Shop) made it happen. My hats off to them! I started with an off the shelf, stainless steel, 11-12 gal. tank from "TANKS", Inc. These come with a chrome, stock looking cap. The look I want!, but with the flat rubber gasket seal, and the cap that only does a 1/4 turn and that's it. This is a sure fire way to develop a leak soon after the purchase, or at least as soon as the tank gets painted! So I also bought (from Tanks) a stainless steel filler neck with the straight "pipe thread" and brushed aluminum cap. This has a superior seal, but not the right look. I took all this to the Veazie's and said, "Ok boys, here's what I want." Take the filler neck off of the tank, and weld the new filler neck on. Now, take the chrome, stock cap and "gut" it. Take the brushed aluminum cap and put it in the lathe and reduce the diameter and the height so it just fits (unseen) in the gutted chrome cap. I suggested epoxy to secure the now machined aluminum cap to the chrome "cover" cap. And Viola! A cap that looks correct, with the guts of a modern, straight thread, o-ring cap.
    (NO LEAKS!) I think they said it was about 15 hours of shop time, but I got what I wanted. When I show the car, I'm proud of it, sure. But I think I'm most proud of my gas cap. SILLY!

Wash's Gas Cap - 1.jpg Wash's Gas Cap - 2.jpg Wash's Gas Cap - 3.jpg Wash's Gas Cap - 4.jpg Wash's Gas Cap - 5.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2024
    clem, 327-365hp, Ned Ludd and 9 others like this.
  21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Have you thought about one of these? TR6 cap...

Just Gary and Outback like this.
  22. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my '29 A Roadster had a trunk located gas tank filler.... on a T tank and no filler tube to belch and it gives a screw on cap...
    a yard stick gas gauge and approximate tank level provided via working odometer and a little head math for nest needed gas fill

jet996 and Outback like this.
  23. fleetside66

fleetside66

Mine is an old Halibrand knockoff from a Lark Daytona. It's a screw on deal. I epoxied the screw part (which I found in my collection of crap) to the underside of the knockoff & drilled a little breather hole & it works just peachy. You can spin it with your finger. I installed a wire that is screwed to the bed in case someone would try to lift it. The gas tank, by the way, is from a HAMB purchase some 15 years ago. It's 100 years old this year...from a 1924 Federal Knight truck.

IMG_4813.jpg

Ned Ludd, Steve009, jet996 and 11 others like this.
  24. fleetside66

fleetside66

And here's a unique custom job from an old bike gas tank. I actually use it as a hub on my steering wheel.

IMG_4814.jpg

25. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Like hitchhiker said no fill in trunk, IMO. I have a TR 3 or so flop cap if you want it I'll mail it out to you.

Pat

Attached Files:

Ned Ludd, TagMan, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  26. RodStRace

RodStRace

Just looked at a hundred different gas cap pictures. Lots to choose from, and a few that were hand modified, which brings another thousand or more possibilities.
    I'm of the thought that while some stuff should be unique and interesting (your dash), some stuff should 'just do the job'. Otherwise, you end up with one of those things where every square inch is modified and it all becomes less a cohesive whole and more a spot the weirdness.
    This one is something I liked, but to each their own. There are enough variations out there.
    https://greenbayprop.com/media/chrome-metal-marine-boat-gas-cap-91049-gb440450133/

27. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I would look at what post WWII hot Rodders actually did for your inspiration. Military surplus was where all the early stuff came from. Fuel injection pumps and control valves are based on aircraft fuel or hydraulic systems I think. Have you looked at any surplus airplane fuel tank caps? That’s the look that would definitely fit your vision! As a bonus it wouldn’t leak even during inverted flight!

Okie Pete, CSPIDY, Outback and 2 others like this.
  28. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

Rather than blending in, maybe it could be a detail. This is a sink drain bezel with a vintage Harley accessory cap.
    IMG_8592.jpeg

Ned Ludd, verno30, Vic Walter and 5 others like this.
  29. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2024