Register now to get rid of these ads!

Faux/Fake valve covers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Hot Rods & Customs' started by foolthrottle, Aug 18, 2024.

1. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

About a wrong as it gets.... but then there's always faux quick change covers, faux drum brakes, dummy carbs etc, so lots of dress up trends.

8ea92c552c96f7976647ba740f941270_1ab0f43f5578fff2db6894415aae544381e782de.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2024
    gary macdonald and Ned Ludd like this.
  2. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Are not 32 fiberglass Fords FAKE???

29A-V8 and Anderson like this.
  4. RmK57

RmK57

Yes, but there not trying to masquerade as something their not.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2024
    29A-V8 and j hansen like this.
  5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Have you ever heard anybody ever say "it's a replica of a 1932 Ford"? Don't get me wrong, I would love to have one, just saying I see nothing wrong with fake valve covers if that's what someone wants to put on the hot rod...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2024
    firstinsteele likes this.
  6. Anybody know where I can get some bolt-on louvers?

29A-V8 likes this.
  7. j hansen

j hansen

Skärmavbild 2024-09-02 kl. 05.08.18.png

19Eddy30, '28phonebooth and winr like this.
  8. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

j hansen, I dig them.... Folks in the 60's were using vents from fridges and stuff

The old appliances vents looked like louvers, later they were punched out flat

Some Folks dont have the money to have louvers punched out

I dont care if ya car is fiberglass or ya have fake valve covers

What is important to me is ya build something that makes ya happy and you get it on the road

I never thought of why someone built something the way they did, seems like psychoanalyzing them or such ..... if it safe and they dig it ... happy ..

I shite canned all the Friends after years after I showed them a finished build, they would say .... you need to do this and that and would keep on for weeks..... I would calmly say.... it is finished... took years and patience but I finally had enough

They would keep on, after a while I would say, I like the way my build looks..... I dont tell you how to build your stuff nor paint/color .. yet I have helped you with your build and helped you do it your way

I cant count the number of Folks who asked what my mill was, 65 F100 352 FE

I have been told countless times, Ford made a 351 and that is what in your truck, or the 65 F100 has a special bell housing and many other things

I just thank them for informing me and it makes them happy and I make a Friend

Dont be angry with Folks that dont know and does no good to argue with them

I believe they mean no ill but are misinformed

Ricky

Ricky

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Fake isn't as simple a concept as it seems.

IIRC it was C. S. Lewis who used the example of stage scenery: it might be a fake country-house dining room, but it's perfectly real stage scenery. That's only one place to start digging into the concept. It doesn't even begin to take in the way Freud has us equating the real with the accidental and the fake with the deliberate — though aren't a lot of things real only because they are deliberate? You could go on non-stop for a week on this.

As to 'glass Deuces, I'd take a page out of Aristotle's book and locate realness in the design rather than the origin of the thing. What the thing (in this case) is in essence is the collection of component interface shapes/dimensions/etc. which define it. So, it depends on how this specific 'glass body part conforms to the component interfaces which define a "real" Henry steel '32. The more strictly you can unbolt an original part and bolt a 'glass one in its place, the more "real" the latter is to me. And it varies: some bodies are more like kit cars because they don't interchange with original steel bodies at all; others interchange more or less readily.

I think there is something different at play with the valve covers. The question is, is there the intention to deceive? And that informs two things: 1. being lied to, and 2. having our intelligence insulted by a really lame attempt at deception. The way to sidestep that is to take care not to be too literal. There is a line between giving an engine a visual feel, a set of visual associations, different to what it had before, which I reckon is amply valid, and actually trying to disguise it as something else.

When I had the Morris Minor and tried to figure out how to swap a Subaru EJ25 in (I hit upon the solution to the steering issue that was the fly in that ointment several months after I sold the car) I gave a lot of thought to making the engine visually feel like an early-'50s British engine rather than a late-'80s Japanese one. Painting it MOWOG green would have been an obvious start, but dealing with the belt cam drive would have been more of a challenge. I ended up studying the Honda GL1100 motorbike engine and the Pontiac OHC six, both engines which achieve something like a chain-drive OHC feel by enclosing the belt in alloy castings, very closely. Then also painting those castings MOWOG green ... The way VW handled the intake manifold on early Beetles; the way Jaguar and other manufacturers did air cleaners on multiple SU carbs via air boxes, etc. etc. etc.

Illustrious Hector likes this.
  10. Thanks @j hansen I was hoping someone would post an old J.C.Whitney catalog with the individual bolt-on units, but leave it to you to actually come up with true louvered panels. You never disappoint!

chevy57dude likes this.
  11. j hansen

j hansen

Skärmavbild 2024-08-24 kl. 02.18.54.png

Ned Ludd, Deuces, chevy57dude and 2 others like this.
  12. j hansen likes this.
  13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

350 Chevy in a 1953 Plymouth coupe.. ** clic pic** 100_4393.JPG 100_4394.JPG 100_4395.JPG 100_4396.JPG 100_4386.JPG 100_4387.JPG 100_4388.JPG

14. 28 - Recently I was cleaning out some junk at my father's house. The J.C. Whitney catalog came home with me, however. 20240902_181231.jpg
    Of course they sold 'em!

QUOTE="'28phonebooth, post: 15349824, member: 358711"]Thanks @j hansen I was hoping someone would post an old J.C.Whitney catalog with the individual bolt-on units, but leave it to you to actually come up with true louvered panels. You never disappoint![/QUOTE]

'28phonebooth likes this.
  15. RmK57

RmK57

Ned Ludd and Illustrious Hector like this.
  16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

^^ I have always used cheap SBCs in all my builds...

17. Anderson

Anderson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm getting ready to make big block chevy valve covers into covers for the coils and what not on the LS in my el camino so all you haterz can look forward to being mad about it.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  18. [/QUOTE]

Bingo!!! Thanks for posting...

chevy57dude likes this.
  19. Maybe it was sort of a "self challange," to see if one could "disquise" a commom SBC into something selse where it took a 3rd and 4th look to see what it wasn't was.
    Wht I would like to see, how the oil pan was notched to go around Plymouth's crazy center steer. Or what he did to Plymouth's center steer to clear the SBC oil pan, and how the motor mounts are shaped.

Deuces and scrap metal 48 like this.
  20. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

^^ 53 ply didn't have center steer and with sbc rear sump there was no problem.. **clic pic** 10533397-1953-plymouth-belvedere-thumb.jpg

'28phonebooth likes this.
  21. SS327

SS327

Is there anything a small block Chevy can’t do? They are some amazing little critters!

22. The Swiss Army knife of engines

23. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Isky

Attached Files:

scrap metal 48 and Deuces like this.
  24. noboD

noboD

I JUST returned from qualifying at NHRA Maple Grove. I was surprised to see Toyota and Chevy valve covers on almost every funny car. Does that make them posers?

19Eddy30, mohr hp and SS327 like this.
  25. RmK57

RmK57

No, of coarse not. Big difference between corporate sponsorship and some doofus trying to pawn off his sbc for a y-block.