Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1941 Studebaker Champion Sedan Gasser Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Chucky, Sep 9, 2024.

1. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is likely my final “traditional” build, so I’ve decided to document the journey. The plan is to keep this car, as one can only do this stuff for so long. There will be no Bridgeports, no TIG welding, and the only thing shrinked or stretched will be my dollar bills. There also will be limited color photos. Black and white photos better represent the era and they also help hide the imperfections. I jumped in head first on this website back in 2009 and it’s been mostly positive. I’ve posted some controversial view points and erased a bunch of my content, but have no regrets. Thanks to Ryan and staff for running this virtual magazine that allows folks from all levels of abilities to feature their latest distraction. This build will take 3 more winters to complete.

chryslerfan55, Silva, Thor1 and 6 others like this.
  2. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I inquired about this car in September of 2021 and ended up purchasing it in November of 2022. Here’s one photo from the original Craigslist ad. There obviously wasn’t any front suspension and the rear suspension looked like shit. From the ad, I noticed that the rear fenders were slightly trimmed at the bottom forward location, which made me wonder about it’s history. After watching the listing for over a year, and looking at 2 different cars, I finally decided to go see it in person.
    IMG_0348.jpeg

3. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

During our meeting, the seller mentioned that the car was raced in the past, but that guy had died thirty plus years ago. There was talk of it running a V8 and 4spd, but not many other details. Someone had planned a street rod re-do, but they never got too far. The deal was sealed when he offered to deliver the Studebaker. This car was last licensed in 1973.
    IMG_2328.jpeg

4. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

5. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It wasn’t until it was in my garage that I started to fully realize how legitimate the story was and just how badly the modifications were executed. My plans always included rebuilding everything, so this enlightenment was not a negative experience. I actually was impressed at the obvious determination that the original builder had.
    IMG_2332.jpeg IMG_2331.jpeg

Okie Pete, chryslerfan55, hfh and 9 others like this.
  6. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I loved Jr. Thompsons Stude:cool:

Chucky and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  7. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Junior Thompson provides inspiration.
    IMG_0395.jpeg IMG_0392.jpeg

8. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

People don't realize how light they were compared to Fords and Chevies. Willys and Studes were light.

9. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out these mods, all done with a torch of course. The frame and firewall had extensive surgery and the factory straight axle had been swapped out to a parallel leaf axle. Not sure why they did that? They also grafted in a tri-five Chevy rear axle and springs. I sold the rear axle, as it was not a posi.
    IMG_2333.jpeg IMG_2335.jpeg IMG_2336.jpeg IMG_2539.jpeg

10. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I proceeded with disassembly and didn’t take many photos. I was really only interested in the body and the frame…and the tail lights, after @Moriarity clued me in. You could say I bought the tail lights and got the car for free. The original interior was still installed, but the mice and the years of neglect had destroyed pretty much everything. The Studebaker came with the title and some paperwork, and to make a long story short, I did speak with a prior owner who now resides in Florida. He was shocked that the car still existed and I ended up texting him some pictures. He did own it in the early 70’s, but wasn’t the guy that raced it.

11. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

20240909_185323.jpg I probably would have left this in place like Jr did

12. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Totally agree. Maybe they did it for oil pan clearance? Not sure, but I will say the stock Stude front suspension was a bit “wide”. I have corrected that by narrowing my Speedway drop axle approximately 3”, which is where I think it looks good.

13. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought these wheels from the HAMB classifieds, shortly before buying the Studebaker. I guess I’m a fan of the oddball stuff. The price of the wheels were a fraction of what the popular mag wheels fetch and were within an hour of my house. Good enough for Tommy Ivo, good enough for me.:D
    IMG_2290.jpeg IMG_2289.jpeg IMG_0763.jpeg

14. Davesblue50

Davesblue50

Subscribed. Love me some Studebakers.

15. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found some cheap MT slicks and tubes for sale in Jenkins Minnesota, which is on the way to our cabin. They are old, but work for mock-up.
    IMG_2369.jpeg IMG_2368.jpeg

16. SS327

SS327

On digging this so far!

17. That was built in the day when you ran what you had and what you could afford. Tools were a lot more primitive and many a car was gas-welded together. The torch and angle grinder were mainstays in many shops. Maybe a drill press if you sere sort of flush with bucks.

18. good luck with your new project...

19. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

Looking forward to seeing this one come together. :)

20. TRAVLR

TRAVLR
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Chucky, I'm jealous!
    I have always wanted a 41 Studebaker to do a gasser build! Long story short... About 12 years ago, I knew of a 41 coupe that had been in a collection of cars that was coming up for an estate sale auction. I had seen the car (which was complete) about 2 years prior, but being about 3 hours away from home, and hadn't seen it since then, and decided I would try and buy the car. Unfortunately, the car (along with several others) had been moved outside years earlier and vandals had gotten on the property and destroyed several cars, including the 41. Windows and body shot out, chrome trim ripped off, grills kicked in, etc. It broke my heart, but there just wasn't enough of the coupe to salvage in my opinion. I drove home empty handed.
    Looking forward to following you on your build!

21. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Had a pal with a 39 and a 41
    :)

Chucky likes this.
  22. I had a nice 1941 Studebaker 4 door sedan in 1963. It was rust free and had a dented front fender with a broken headlight rim. I didn't have any idea where to find a headlight rim. The front suspension got a little scary above 65 miles per hour. I bought the car for $ 75.00, and drove it for about a year, and then sold it for $ 75.00. Many times I wish that I had kept it.

chryslerfan55, Algoma56 and Chucky like this.
  23. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the comments! I’ll post progress as I get the opportunity. I’m getting close to pulling the body for the second time to make chassis welds and change a couple things. It’s been a bit “on and off” due to several factors. My summer weekends are mostly spent up north, so progress slows dramatically during that time.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An initial 1.5” has been trimmed to accommodate the MT’s. The engineers at Studebaker messed up the rear axle placement from the beginning (too far forward, IMO) and so did the guy who swapped in the Chevy axle. Even though the final fender trim will center the tire in the opening, I have moved the 8.8 Ford axle rearward approximately 1” from the factory location to correctly center it in the opening. I hope that makes sense.
    IMG_2386.jpeg

25. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These photos were taken while the Chevy axle was still installed. The tires will not stick out this much, I just couldn’t tuck them in any farther. The body is sitting pretty much at ride height. I prefer a somewhat level, stockish stance nowadays.
    IMG_2391.jpeg IMG_2390.jpeg IMG_2387.jpeg

26. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was extra challenging removing the body from the frame. There’s a ridiculous number of fasteners holding the two together. My sawzall, grinder and drill all took turns and eventually the 80+ year marriage was over. It ended up being so much work, I waited until the next day before finally sliding the frame out from under the car.
    IMG_2395.jpeg

27. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not much to say about the frame, except, oh my! Do you think they offset the engine to the passenger side? Keep in mind the rear leaf spring mounts were handmade, but I cut them off without taking any pictures. The front of the frame was boxed (1980’s?) in prep for a MII setup.
    IMG_2536.jpeg

28. It is surprisingly pretty clean. No wonder they were light cars, there is not a lot to it and it is quite narrow.

Chucky likes this.
  29. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The frame is light and quite short, forward of the firewall. I’m going to extend the front of the frame 6” and un-do that ugly 2” square tube cross member and re-do my forward spring mounts. Here it is mostly cleaned up. I’m planning hanging pedals from RJays.
    IMG_2540.jpeg IMG_2541.jpeg

30. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

Either it snowed really early this year in MN, or you are living in the future...:cool:

Are you replacing the missing X-frame section with something similar?