Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 18 Inch Wide Fives: Runnable?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racerex, Sep 10, 2024.

?
  1. They look fine to me

100.0%
  2. No way, swap out those rims

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Racerex

Racerex

2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

You could always have a thin spacer ring turned or rolled and then place it between a rim ring and the center. It would not be a perfect reproduction, but with a little care and paint......maybe not noticeable. Just find some used 16 inch rims and see how it looks.

3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Yes, its probably not easy to find exactly what you need, but narrowing a rim isn't that difficult. Maybe a deeper dish with your existing center might look even better???? :)

4. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

I've several original Ford wide 5 centers welded on the back side of late wide hoops for dirt track use & a full set of 14" hoops with Ford wide 5 centers turned down to fit, the latter of which was very well done.

5. Racerex

Racerex

If these were 16s, that would be a good option. However, these wheels are 18s, and with an uncommon rim inner diameter, so I am not sure that's an option.

6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

My mistake on 16s, but the same thing should work with any size rim as long as you can get a ring larger than your center section. I'm talking about a reasonably thin (not too thin) spacer. Just throwing an idea out since you seem to have limited options..........:D

Racerex likes this.
  7. Racerex

Racerex

I appreciate that, it's certainly worth looking into.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just wondering what the 18" tires will look like up front and if turning will be a problem.

9. Racerex

Racerex

I only have a pair, so I'll just be running them in the rear. But if you know of another one of these 18" wide fives, let me know haha

I'm planning on putting the Excelsior Stahl Sport 600/650-18s on them, which have nearly the same diameter as the 700-16 Deluxe Champions that I have on there now

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hershey is just around the corner, I'll look around for some. Those tires have a great looking tread pattern. Bob

Racerex likes this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

One time my bro picked up a single 18” wide five wheel for a pittance at a swap meet. IIRC he had it sold for around $500 before he made it back to the truck.

12. Racerex

Racerex

Man I wish I had that kind of luck. I paid too much for these damned things. But I've always wanted them so I don't have any regrets.

The37Kid likes this.