Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods starter question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bangngears, Sep 19, 2024 at 9:46 AM.

1. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Im getting a 1961 283 pretty cheap they have a 3bolt starter. i dont want to use the three bolt starter . So i guess a 2 bolt can be drilled and tapped. what flywheel do i use?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Have you checked to see if the block is drilled; I think they still had Turboglides in '61.

chryslerfan55 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

D&T the block for a later starter is going to really be a machine shop job to ensure the holes are located perfectly to keep the starter aligned correctly. Might be a real headache.
    I have D&T blocks that were setup for parallel holes to angled pattern and that's an easy task since I can install the starter with one bolt and check alignment and engagement before marking and drilling the 2nd hole. But never even considered doing both holes as I have no way to align the two holes.

chryslerfan55 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  4. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Turn the engine upside down with the flywheel in place and make something you can support the starter with.....then just sit it in place and use the correct size transfer punch to mark the hole locations. Might want some type of strap to support the opposite end of the starter.

Starter Shim 1 001.jpg

Starter Shimming 1 001.jpg

5. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

thanks guys, i guess ill try it

6. Sounds like you’re going to be umm, fired up. Hehe.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The starter you use, depends on the transmission you use. You didn't tell us...but should we assume it's a more modern aluminum case automatic?

If so, look at the block, see if it has two holes for the starter to bolt to the block. If so, get a 168 tooth (14") diameter flex plate, and the starter and bolts for a 1970s truck 350 engine/350 transmission, and it should all work fine. I'd check the starter shaft to flexplate tooth distance, to make sure it's 1/8", before trying to start it, though, and shim if needed.

chryslerfan55 and ekimneirbo like this.
  8. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

will use aluminum powerglide or stick

9. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you use a stick, and the early bellhousing, you can use the 3 bolt starter....