Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Has anyone used spraymax--black-1k-epoxy primer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JD Miller, Sep 19, 2024 at 4:47 PM.

1. JD Miller

JD Miller

2. JD Miller

JD Miller

btt mo looky
    65 lookies so far

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That can says e coat, but I have used their epoxy primer. Most recently, on the 41 PU I painted last year. When I was blocking the hood, I got bare metal on a louver or two and on a couple of edges. I could have mixed up and shot more DTM primer but this stuff worked just fine and applied my sealer and base over it without any issues. As long as it is catalyzed (has the red button on the bottom).

Oneball likes this.
  4. rusty valley

rusty valley

Please explain, there is product and catalyst in the same can, but it has another button to release both products?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  5. Oneball

Oneball

As Billy said youre talking about two different products there, epoxy which is a 2 pack and e-coat substitute which is 1 pack.

The epoxy in a can are 2 pack and have the catalyser separated internally from the base you then mix them by pressing a button and away you go.

Your pic though is of a can of e-coat substitute which is a type of 1 pack primer not an epoxy. E-coat is the black protective paint you often get on replacement body panels. In the factory it is an electrically deposited paint. The product you show just emulates that finish.

Bandit Billy and Just Gary like this.
  6. -Brent-

-Brent-

I have used it here and there over the years. I picked up a can of gray, locally, a few days back and it was $30! I remember when it was expensive at like $18 a can.

Like Billy says, it's good for small projects. If it's something that requires less than a can, I'll try to find something else I can shoot with it so I'm not wasting.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The can looks normal until you turn it upside down, there is a red button in the cap that you remove, place it on the stem on the bottom of the can and slam it on your workbench to puncture the bag of hardener inside. Shake vigorously, similar to shaking a dirty martini. I always sing the happy birthday song in my head for the perfect pour. Wear a respirator! That is now catalyzed and will destroy the cilia in your lungs.

Correct, once activated the can has a shelf life of about an hour or two. There is no saving it.

rusty valley and alanp561 like this.
  8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yes, the “e” stands for electrically deposited not for “epoxy”.

9. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

At 18$ a can it’s not cheap and if pop the button and mix the two parts is it one time use, short pot life? If I have a small burn though, I mix up 1 or 2 oz of epoxy and use a q tip and dab it in and sand as needed. It better and maybe cheaper.

alanp561 likes this.