Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy Truck Front Axle Widths??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Sep 16, 2024.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Trying to pick up things off the shop floor or around town that could of been used in the day, no Speedway parts BUT WAC axle is second choice later.

427 sleeper likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

You could do like the HF 48x40 trailer I just put together, spindles welded to channel iron:)

But it will haul a 1095 lbs!!

3. I didn't call him a poser, I'm just explaining where I thought the direction of the poser comment was derived from.
    Heck I'm a poser with my Henry J, because I haven't taken it down the track yet after it's latest makeover, it better still pull the wheels... lol

FB_IMG_1724723017699.jpg

4. TRAVLR

TRAVLR
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Hey Swade, I wasn't pointing out you that you were calling anyone a poser... I was just replying because if that had been the reason, it doesn't make sense either.
    And I am pretty sure your Henry J will still pull her front wheels! I wouldn't be too concerned! LOL.

427 sleeper and swade41 like this.
  5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've done a lot of Tri Five Chevy cars using '55-'59 Chevy truck axles. They're perfect width in my opinion for 4.5" wheels with 50/50 offset. I hate the gasser builds where the front tires are tucked in so far they look like old tractors. Anyone I ever did one for, plus several I did for my own cars were perfect looking width to most eyes.
    The '55-'59 Chevy truck axles have been the go to axle for decades for Tri Five Chevys.

I would NEVER use 3.5" wheels on the front of a car as heavy as a Tri Five, especially with a BBC weight added! Keep it at 4.5" for safety sake.

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

What brakes did you run? This pic and several others is what makes me question the width. Yes I can see he has disc. and no I will not be leaving the stock cradle in. And I am not talking the tractor look, just a couple inches in on both sides would open a world of possibility's on wheels and offsets. Haven't ruled out the tri5 truck axle just exploring options. Looking more for the Blue '57 look as far as width. '57 truck axle.jpg blue truck axle.jpg

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That light colored '57 has disc brakes, and not sure it's a '55-'59 Chev truck axle? It might be a Chevy Greenbriar van axle converted to disc brakes which is about 1.5" wider than the 50's truck axles. I put one of those axles under a '56 Chev sedan and it did end up with the tire sidewall being right out even with the fender lip. But still looks better than tucked too far in.
    I've almost always used '49-'54 Chev passenger car drums as they're a bolt on to get 5 bolt pattern. But I have used a couple of Speedway disc brake conversions too.
    Drag cars can get away with narrower wheels since they're usually going straight all their life. So no side loads on narrow wheels and tires to speak of.

I've got one of the '55-'59 Chev truck axles under the front of my '39 Chev gasser. I converted it to disc brakes also, but on my '39 I'm running 5" Torq Thrust wheels, and during mockup I decided it was too wide. I cut it in half and did a Z cut and welded it back together, taking out almost 5" to allow my wider wheels and tires to tuck in where I wanted them. I used 1.75" springs and it was no problem aligning the springs to be true parallel and not toed in at the front.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2024
    brigrat likes this.
  8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Was thinking the same thing cut axle and custom make my own width to my liking, was told by more than a few done properly the forged axles can be cut & welded. Thanks for the post!

9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It's not that I am lazy it's just sometimes I can't find the rite search words to find things on the web. Looking for a kit that converts a '57 Chevy truck 6 lug brake system to a 5 lug passenger car, '53 Chevy ????? Looking for drum system all I can find are the disc brake conversions. Years ago you would just go to one of 10 wrecking yards around your area, that's not going to happen these days! Thanks!

10. Budget36

Budget36

Someone will be along to confirm/deny, but when wrecking yards had ‘50? to ‘54 Chevy cars, those parts were used. I’d imagine (if my recollection is correct) reproduction parts would be available.

brigrat likes this.
  11. TRAVLR

TRAVLR
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Yes, 49-54 passenger car hubs and drums will work for you. I would try to find 51-54 for the better brakes. (49/50 still used Huck brakes, 51-54 are Bendix) You might be able to find a set from someone here that has done a disc conversion on their car.
    I gave my old hubs to a friend that did a 5 lug conversion on his 54 truck and they worked fine.

Budget36 and brigrat like this.
  12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Seem's the resto suppliers are listing disc's, I will put a wanted add on the HAMB, thanks!

Budget36 likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

I did a few Google searches, didn’t see the hubs, but bearings, seals and drums are available.

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Yep, I need it all even backing plates, might have to buy piece by piece ......................

15. Budget36

Budget36

Yep, or switch to disc brakes and be done with it.
    Just to keep moving on it, they’ll still have resale value while you look for what you want.

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Plan is drilled axle, drilled backing plates, etc. old school. I can always go "modern" later.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2024
    Budget36 and 427 sleeper like this.
  17. brigrat likes this.
  18. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Thanks Swade. I did that search yesterday and nothing, I did it just now and left off the word "Original" got nothing, added the word "Original" and found same add. Touchy shit this search thing is! Maybe I am to picky but I don't see how he can call it rebuilt, it's missing all the springs & hardware & has a missing lug. On the + side it does have the backing plates.

427 sleeper and swade41 like this.
  19. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Anyone have a Chevy or GM interchange book on hand for around the '50's & '60's? I am thinking out of the box here, I am looking for a complete '54 Chevy front brake parts from the backing plates to hubs & drums to install on my '57 Truck axle. If memory is correct the '53-'62 Corvette had a '53 passenger car front suspension. Since I have a complete '61 Vette front clip siting doing nothing I am hoping someone can confirm if it's the same & will fit the '57 truck spindles. Thanks!

427 sleeper and seb fontana like this.
  20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, but need to do a Z cut and not just straight down through the axle and butt welded.
    I made the first cut straight through with my portaband saw, and then a cut 5" over from the cut on the top half of one side, then the same 5" off the other half. So once cut I beveled all the mating surfaces and then put the two halves together. I aligned the halves by using 1.5" tubing laid into the I beam and clamped the tubing to the axle in several places to hold it while I did numerous tack welds all over both sides of the joints. I also clamped square tubing across the perches to keep them aligned and flat. Then removed the tubing and burned it in.
    It didn't need it, but I cut some 3/8" plate to fit inside the I beam on the backside, and welded that over the joint also. Once plated I recut the holes through the added plate also. Not much stress dead center on an axle, but doesn't hurt to be too safe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brigrat and Budget36 like this.
  21. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

1971BB427, The truck axle spring pad centers line up perfectly with the center of a stub frame off the stock '57 frame close to firewall so no need to narrow axle, I would have to also move inward the spring pads and no need. But for a future project, what did you use for the welding part of the axle weld? Machine, technique, rod, heat area or don't, etc.?????

22. Budget36

Budget36

Pretty sure I still have drums and hubs off a ‘55 Chevy PU in a trailer out back. I sold the axle and spindles to a guy doing just what you’re doing.
    If I spot them this weekend, you can have them for the UPS store charges to box and get to you.

Edit: Had forgot all about them, tells you how long they’ve been in the trailer;)

Oops, just recalled you wanted the car stuff for 5 lug.

23. Budget36

Budget36

Another thought for you. Get your drums off your 6-lug drums/hubs, should be room to redrill to 5x5.75. Buy drums and bolt them on as normal if they register properly.

I think I recall them riveted or swaged on, or maybe confusing them with the Early Ford ones.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty well positive that he has the whole six lug setup on the axle now and wants to go to disk brakes but second choice would be 54 car hubs, drums and shoes and backing plates.
    His big quandary is that with a 55.2/59 axle is he going to have the tires inside the fenders where he wants them.
    Personally I would have to believe that it is a lot simpler fabricating wise to run the 56 axle than an earlier axle that has the front of the springs about six inches closer together moving them way inside the frame rails. I'd have to go out and dig an axle out and measure the spring bolt holes to see if they are straight or offset to match the springs. that still only gives you 26 and something between spring centers and as I said before I'm thinking the frame rails are over 30 right where the rear spring mounts need to connect to the frame.

25. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

It's in written in stone that I am running a '57 drilled truck axle, stock width, with '54 chevy pass. or '62 Corvette drum brakes & drilled backing plates. Everything is blown apart now and will know if the vette parts fit the '57 truck spindles tomorrow.

Attached Files:

Budget36 and 427 sleeper like this.
  26. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

As usual I got a head of my self and took no pic's before dismantle. Which way is the axle pointing forward?
    IMG_5354.JPG IMG_5355.JPG