Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! It's certainly weathered with the weather here in the City by the Bay.

I have a few updates on the big pieces that I plan to share during a little bit of a slower time around here. The best news? They will all live on!

Thank you so much for the offer. Another H.A.M.B.er has already dropped one in the mail for me, but I'll let you know if there's a need for another. I appreciate it so much!

Nobey, Tim, Six Ball and 1 other person like this.
  2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Last night, I had a few tasks that I wanted to take care of. After work, I cleared my schedule, put on my coveralls, and made my way down to the garage. It was unusually warm on the terrace, and in the depths of my soul I could tell that it was going to be a good one.

I could hear crickets in the bushes on the edge of campus, and the families across the street rolled in from their evening bike ride with smiles on their faces. I pushed the car out into the driveway, more complete than ever.
    IMG_4969.jpg
    And there it sat, basking in the warm glow of the garage lights. We've seen a lot of this car through the years, but never like this. Note the steering. The stance. The headlights. The headers. I had to take a step back and remind myself that this is what we've been working towards.

3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Work is the operative word there. So, with that, I got down to business. First, I trimmed the steering reinforcement plate. I have some fun ideas for the bolts and washers for final assembly. IMG_4973.jpg
    Then, I broke out the Dremel and cut down the inner steering column tube to clear the Hudson wheel.
    IMG_4975.jpg
    This Dremel has been in my arsenal since about 2007; it's helped me with dozens of 1/25 scale model car projects. IMG_4977.jpg
    It's a perfect fit!

4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Next, I extracted the bushings from the steering box with the 11:07 p.m. Hammer (TM). IMG_4979.jpg
    Beat.
    IMG_4980.jpg
    With that, I called it a night.
    IMG_4986.jpg
    Time for a drive? Glad to see the taillight still works as it should. That's all for tonight. I have a couple of updates from today, but more on those later.

5. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quite the dramatic metamorphosis, from the "ROYAL STANDARD" laminated place mat, to its current state of nearing perfection !

IMG_3134 (2).JPG IMG_8020 (2).jpg

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man putting stuff together is cool and all but seeing that tail light on! Hot damn!

7. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks guys! We're moving right along.

On Saturday, I had big things planned. I started off the day by cleaning up the steering shaft and getting it ready to drop in the box. Next, I cleaned the box one final time and got ready for assembly. As I did, I realized that there was some pitting on the upper bearing race. IMG_4990.jpg
    I knew it wasn't going to work, and a quick conversation with David confirmed it. "Knock it out with a punch," he said. He suggested I find one with a foot on the end, because it's impossible to get at it with a straight punch. Well for the next hour I tried everything I could. I heated and bent an old screwdriver until it resembled a chopper kickstand, but that just bent more when I hit it. I then pulled out the only two punches in my arsenal. I ground down the smaller one to resemble a railroad spike. That seemed to do the trick. Many strategic hits later, the old race popped out. Success!
    IMG_4992.jpg
    Using a 23mm socket that also works for Triumph stem bolts, I tapped the new race into position.

8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Unfortunately that's as far as I got this weekend. I did, however, paint the box this morning and lay down some primer on the rest of the components. I'm waiting on my sector shaft bushings, which should be here by the end of the week.
    IMG_4459.png
    So there you have it. We're all caught up for now. I have some good stuff in the mail heading my way, but more on that later!

9. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Cool man, Hey, Joey, what is that taillight?

J.Ukrop likes this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fun fact the upper race on a 37-48 ford cross steer box is also pressed in place and hasn’t been available for purchase new for about 12 years.

thankfully a lot of the Minnesota shops that have the market cornered on nos parts have them.

anyhow more to your actual box I have these two tips.

1: if possible the next time you have to drive one out it’s pretty common to tack weld a strap across the race and then hit that with your drift and hammer.

2: make sure that seat for the race is VERY and I mean VERY smooth. I went through more races than I wanted to with my build and I lost at least one to a burn that was almost to small to catch my finger nail. Had it most the way in with the press and crack! Get to start over.

I think the race that ultimately ended up in the box came from a donor box and I band sawed the top off it so I could plink the race out with a drift super easy.

Anyhow good update! Your drawing closer!

J.Ukrop, Six Ball, Nobey and 2 others like this.
  11. RodStRace

RodStRace

Last edited: Sep 30, 2024 at 10:06 AM
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I think I know what it came off but it’s just off the edge of my memory. I’ll find it

J.Ukrop, 41 GMC K-18 and Nobey like this.
  13. Nobey

Nobey

Look on page 22.....You're welcome.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It’s a mid-to-late '50s Gaz M21 Volga decklid light
    IMG_6260.jpeg Ain’t nobody want to scroll back to page 22 man

15. A Boner

A Boner

Ain’t nobody want to scroll back to page 22 man[/QUOTE]

IMG_4586.png
    Sure!

16. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the day, "Graham" made some pretty cool turn signals as well, but super rare and super spendy if you ever see a pair for sale.

graham turn signals (2).JPG

J.Ukrop and Outback like this.
  17. Nobey

Nobey

That photo you just posted is from page 22, I don't understand what you meant by scroll back? Hit
    page one, then the right arrow 4 times and you're there, less then 5 seconds, done. I can't do photos
    at the moment or I would have posted that photo for you.....

J.Ukrop, Irish Mike and Outback like this.
  18. NealinCA

NealinCA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The upper race is a Timken #6, which is readily available. I have purchased hundreds of them in the last 12 years. This race is used in all Ford boxes 1932-1960ish.

I tack weld a 1/2" flat washer into the old race to knock them out. I have begun using a carbide in a die grinder to make two small reliefs, so the race can be knocked out in the future without much trouble.

J.Ukrop, 41 GMC K-18, Outback and 4 others like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I must have been looking in the wrong spots then lol. Good to know for the next one, because there is always a next one :)

J.Ukrop, Outback and Six Ball like this.
  20. Jeff34

Jeff34

@NealinCA Got any pictures of this? I'm likely going to need to get that race out soon as well. Thx!

J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  21. Or just weld (carefully!) a couple of beads on the inside of the race. It'll shrink when they cool and just about fall out...

41 GMC K-18 and Six Ball like this.
  22. NealinCA

NealinCA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1/2" flatwasher welded into the race. Sometimes the weld is enough to shrink the race and they will fall out like stated above, but the washer gives something to tap with a punch if not

20241001_201939.jpg

And this shows where I grind a small notch to make future removal easier

20241001_202036.jpg

23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you, everyone! I like that washer technique. I unfortunately don't have any way to weld it here at the house, but I'll keep that in mind for next time.
    IMG_5003.jpg
    It's been uncharacteristically warm here recently, which means perfect painting weather. Over the past two days, I laid down the semi-gloss black on the steering box, plus some extra on a few pieces of hardware.
    IMG_5020.jpg
    Also, I received a great care package from @Nobey with the eyelet we were looking for. Thank you again, Rich!
    IMG_4634.jpg
    Speaking of care packages, my friend Kerry sent me these incredible additions to my library. Honk! has been a perfect resource for all the little details that will be making their way on to the finished car. Thanks again, Kerry!

24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Last week, I figured I could pick some of the low-hanging fruit as other pieces came together. The lowest, I thought, were the radiator support rods. Due to the grille shell positioning, I need rods that are slightly longer than Model A. I found a set that measured 30.75 that I could trim and make work. Well, when I took them out of the packaging, I was disappointed to see that I was sent the wrong ones.
    IMG_4956.jpg
    With any luck, they'll send a new set and we'll be on our way. Time will tell.

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dang that’s frustrating on the support rods. Hopefully that’s an easy switch a roo.

good deal on the painting weather, I finished up my outdoor painting for the season just in time for me to wake up to 43 deg this morning! Think those hot days are numbered.

Six Ball likes this.
  26. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Triple digits here in inland SoCal. Won't cool down untill next Tuesday.:(

Six Ball likes this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Perfect weather here. I'm the problem. :(:rolleyes:

51504bat likes this.
  28. Jeff34

Jeff34

Great Progress, Joey! Can't wait to see this on the road...

Driving through SF yesterday evening it was really warm, very unusual for the city any time of year.