Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! Radiator Leaking Issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodRick49, Jul 26, 2008.

1. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

I put in an electric fan, to keep my flathead cooler, and it's obvious that it punctured through the wrong spot. I had a leak, ran some stop leak, and it worked... for a while. Until today. I had another can, and had to use that to get home, anyone have any ideas? I can take it out and bring it to a trusted shop that exclusively does radiators, or should I shell out the money and just get a new one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Rick

2. Joe King

Joe King

I'd try the radiator repair shop first. I did the same thing about a month ago and had it fixed for 30 bucks.

3. 1959Ford

1959Ford

Where is the puncture / leak? What is the radiator material? Copper / Brass can be brazed. Aluminum can be TIG welded. If a can of Stop Leak stemmed the problem for a bit, there is a good chance the puncture can be repaired by a radiator shop.

4. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

make real mounts for the electric fan .

the zip tie mounts will continue to wear thru the rad tubes

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Stop leak can be dangerous. It does stop the leak, but it also stops up thermostats too. I would take the radiator to the shop and have the guy analyze the condition of the core/tanks. Do what he recommends.. Also take the car down after getting it running and have him do a flush on the whole system. Antifreeze it and you are good to go.

6. Flatman

Flatman

I'd try the rad shop. Some that have been in business for a while enjoy working on something that isn't made of plastic and will give you a break on the price of the repair.
    Second on not using the stop leak stuff, it coats everything inside and will decrease the efficiancy of your rad.

Flatman

7. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

take it to the rad shop then next bite the bullet and buy a new one from Walker