Register now to get rid of these ads!

STOCK or IFS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gemnewt, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Hi Everyone

I would like to up grade to an independent front suspension unit on a 1951 chevy station wagon, should i rebuild the front suspension back to stock or go with an IFS, I just read a view from someone regarding failure from the tubular a arms from HEIDTS, so does anyone have an opinion on the best & the worst the industry has to offer and why?

I have been reading some great things from the members at H.A.M.B. and i feel comfortable in asking you.
    gene

2. 1959Ford

1959Ford

Isn't the stock '51 Chevy suspension already IFS? Other than needing rebuilding, is there anything wrong with the stock A-arms and other front suspension parts?

3. Got a link on the failed arm post? I like to see what happened.

4. John Denich

John Denich

The stock front end on those car really suck!!!! I have rebuilt mine three time in 14 years, and even rebuilding it and putting disc brakes and upgrading the steering box, it still sucks!!! I just put a IFS in my 51, I did fix some things I was not comfortable with on the kit I bought, I reinforced the upper spring/shock hats, and I welded in the cross member eventhough they tell you it JUST BOLTS IN! and I upgraded to the 11inch rotors. It seems to be 100% better.
    John

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have never heard of a tubular A-arm failure, though 10 years ago or so there were several stories of some bolt failing on certain front ends

rebuilt stock front ends are for restorations. if you want to be low and have disc brakes you will spend close to the same amount rebuilding the stock front and buying dropped spindle uprights as you would doing a mustang II and when you are all done it will not steer or ride as nice.

I have a FATMAN ultra low in my current 49 coupe. my previously owned 4 door bomb had cut coils and discs on the stock front end. it bottomed out on big bumps and the steering is not the greatest if you want to park in a spot designed for a honda. my coupe will be a good 2" lower with no bottoming out as well as rack and pinion steering with a much faster ratio and easier to steer.

6. Slide

Slide

If you completely rebuild the factory front end, and upgrade to discs, and add dropped spindles, you could have bought one of the more expensive MII kits out there, but you'd still have an antiquated front end with that retarded inboard drag link steering.

Just make sure you use a sway bar on the car if you go to MII.

7. wvenfield

wvenfield

I don't mean to start a fight but isn't a flatty antiquated compared to a LT-1 or something?

8. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

flatty dont affect the ride Lt-1 doesn't either were talking suspension n ride here

9. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I posted this same question some time ago for my 48 Poncho. After getting all the pricing for rebuild/convert to discs and drop and also a lot of helpful advice from fellow HAMB'rsI decided to pay the $60.00 or so extra and go with the Fatman Stub Kit.

It allowed me to drop the car near 4" and then we added 2" dropped spindles on top of that. It also allowed me to convert to disc brakes and also convert to a power rack set up. A good friend of mine with excellent skillls did the swap for me and the thing almost looks like it was built that way.

Its not on the road yet so I can't tell you anything about how it handles or rides but if you could go by looks it should work fine.

I'm pretty sure they make a stub for your car. They have always been real easy to work with and will help you with any questions.

48 Poncho

10. Slide

Slide

I hoped someone would call that out!;)

Sometimes antiquated is what we want. Sometimes it's something we avoid. Just got to make that call for yourself -- on pretty much every part on your car.

The original question asked about brands. I'd recommend doing a search here on the HAMB for any brand you'd be considering. Pretty much all of them have been discussed here.