Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this 32 at Meadowbrook a Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike The Photo Guy, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Mench

Mench

Sweet car,what do ya think it cost to restore that baby
    mench

2. That car's bad ass! Everything except the bumpers. The bumpers look like some shop vac attachments.

I'm guessing young guys back in the '30s and '40s saw pictures of cars like that in books or magazines and fell in love with the style, and then they used that mental image to modify their cars to turn them into what we now know as "hot rods" and "customs". Whoever built that thing was a visionary and an artist, and people like that were who inspired future hot rodders and custom car builders for generations. Sitting that low and wide, it must have handled great compared to the other cars everybody else was making then.

What's that big dial thing behind the shifter? Adjustable spark advance maybe?

3. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Rustybolts I agree.........this car is absolutely beautiful as well as being a piece of art! Could you imagine the response that this got from the public during it's time. Hot Rod? may be not by the description according to the books but definitely by the styling as far as I am concerned. Hell it could be considered a "factory" Hot Rod..................lol........

4. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

about the only sedan I would swap my coupe for:D

5. Larry T

Larry T

Gold chainer factory muscle car. (G)
    Larry T

6. Thanks for your beautiful pictures - hot rod or not, it has the correct proportions for something special - should be a nice weekend for the show.
    Al

7. Mike The Photo Guy

Mike The Photo Guy

Count on it Denise. I shoot some nice ones for you.
    Mike TPG

8. Ebert

Ebert

LOVE this thing! I would just take the geese off of the grill sides!!!!

9. moses

moses

more pics.of the chick with the head piece..... nice car...jeffrey

10. I seem to remember an article in Cars & Parts Magazine in the late 60's or early 70's on some guy building a replica in the USA. I'll do some homework and see if I can come up with the story.

11. Nope not a hotrod, it's way beyond that. Art yes, beyond belief , yep makes all warm and fuzzy inside , you bet. One word AWESOME.

12. Weasel

Weasel

I saw it and stroked it lovingly:eek: in the Blackhawk Museum in Danville CA about five years ago - Bucciali was built in France by gentlemen of Italian descent like so many of the 1930s French Grand Marques - Bugatti, Figoni et Falaschi, Talbot Lago.

Voisin, as an aircraft and sometime automobile manufacturer had a big influence on the Bucciali beside supplying the engine. There was a 1931 Voisin also in the Blackhawk and the influence was obvious.

Is it a hot rod? - no, but does it really matter - it goes off the Richter scale of cool.

Here's the Voisin...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  13. Weasel

Weasel

Here's another wild Voisin - 1934 C27 Aerosport Coupe:

[​IMG]

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't the Voison motors have a sliding valve that makes the motors incredibly quiet?

15. Weasel

Weasel

Sleeve valve using the Knight principle, I believe.

16. retromotors

retromotors

Is it a hot rod?

Who cares ....!!!

The Bucciali is probably the most awesome piece of machinery I've ever laid eyes on.
    (And yes, I stole all your photos. They now reside in their very own file on my 'puter.)

A bit of coincidence on the Voisin, just yesterday I finished rereading one of Clive Cussler's novels that featured a Voisin in the story line. He's a vintage car freak / collector and always manages to work at least one rare vehicle into his books.

Thanks for the thread and great pics!:D

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll second that request for event photo coverage. Seams that HAMB members do a better photo coverage of these events than others in the old car hobby. :)

18. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Thanks for the Voisin pics, Weasel. I was searching the other day for the reputed straight-12, reference here to the Packard prototype having put me onto it, but couldn't find anything. Was that ever actually produced?

Funnily enough, the Daimler Double Six also had a Knight sleeve-valve V12. That's a pity, in a way: both would have benefited from Burt-McCollum rather than Knight sleeves. But if it was good enough for Lord Peter Wimsey ...

[​IMG]

RWD makes the Daimler the pick of the two for me, especially with that Corsica dhc body. Not that the Bucciali is to be sneezed at.

Yes.

19. boldventure

boldventure

Looks like Posie's gone wild!
    The continental kit is a little big for my taste.
    I wonder if Moal has seen it(?)

20. Steve was photographing it when I saw him at PB. He goes every year.

21. phukinartie

phukinartie

Not now, but after I remove the bumpers and spare tire rack and get that young hottie into something more comfortable and drive the holy shit out of it it would be!! :D

22. boldventure

boldventure

It would be cool to see his version of this car/design/type. He builds with a lot of cool subtle touches anyways...I'm just sayin'...

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Beautiful cars. Pure artform.

24. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

That is frickin' awesome!!!!!!!!!

25. Wow. That looks amazing.

26. rainman1958

rainman1958

Yeah but it has red wheels. It doesn't belong here.

27. 51fleetline

51fleetline