Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. colesy

colesy

Only if they want to make the Sportsman classes even more appealing to old farts like us, but that sure as heck ain't going to secure the future of the sport down the road.
    I would think that if they wanted to help insure that the Stock & Super Stock classes survive for the next 20 or so years, NHRA had better figure out a way to make the Sportsman classes a whole lot more attractive and affordable to the next generation of car crazy kids.

2. Right on about the costs. Not to mention all the "modern" requirements needed per NHRA rules that would add even further to the cost and take away from being period correct.
    -Dean

3. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

LOL.....Yeah right. Im sure he will read this forum or even care. Why do you guys worry about NHRA for Jr stock when the Jr. stockers are ALREADy legal to race in stock eliminator with IHRA. Restore it, build it, and race with your old Jr stock rules (no friggin roll bar for one thing) such as the cam and spring rules and running on a softer index than regular stock from 8lbs to 16 lbs per HP. You guys can DREAM all you want but IHRA pure stock has been around for years and years as I wrote the rules back in the stone age and put it in place but nobody was interested. All we got was the late modle FI computer crap. One guy ran with us in a 57 283/220 HP 210 sedan WITH A P/G before NHRA allowed the 3 speed turbos to replace the turbo glides It ran in the 15 and 16 lb class. Sticks and autos run heads up now for class due to the lack of interest in the older cars these days. It was a Nice car, looked great, ran strong, and was LEGAL as I check it a few times before I gave upm the thankless job. It brought back memories but Im afraid the Jr stock days are gone in NHRA. If you dont try in with IHRA then your destined to run nostalgia events. Talk is cheap but no one is going to do it. You are all to OLD like me to be involved like we used to be. Im sure the lack of IHRA events on the west coast is a valid point but Jr stock was mostly a hot bed on the east coast to mid west back in the better days (except for the few magazine cars) and IHRA IS around in those areas today. OK....Im off my soap box for now and Id be surprised if anything would change. It was great while it lasted but its history except in our minds and dreams.:mad:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  4. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

could you run a 3- speed auto in a tri-5 chevy? i know sedan deliverys could run hydros because they were considered trucks, but I thought pass. cars had to run the same amount of foward gears that was availible for that particular make & model? (I know of the turboglide that was availible in 57 but i was under the impression that that tranny was pretty much useless) And other than the cost of a tri-5, wouldnt the cost of paint-bodywork interior,engine-trans-rear, be close to the cost of ANY stocker you might build? Iknow NHRA would probably not change their year policy but Iwould think Im not the only person who would love to see tri-5 chevys in stock classes again! (or any other pre-60makes for that matter!) although IHRA may have them, in Ca. their are no IHRA tracks although Im sure they would be supported if there was!! (HEAR THAT NHRA?)

5. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Hydros were banned a long time ago. For the tri 5's a turbo 350 or 400 is legal in a 57 ONLY. The 55, 56 Chevy has to use a P/G. All of the 55,56, and 57 Chebbies have to use a 3 speed stick(Jerico or other aftermarket style) if a stanard trans is used in regular stock. In Pure stock (Jr. stock rules) they must use a GM 3 speed for IHRA stock eliminator. The rears may be updated for a stronger unit as long as it is of the same manufacturer due to the weak rears in the early cars. I was never able to get the 4 speed legalized again in a 57 Chevy before I retired. :cool:

6. Guys speaking of weak rears, where can I find parts to re-build ours for the Patrick Bros. car? It's a P-Case factory Chevy unit, from an early '60s car as I recall. It needs new stronger caps, new gears, axles, maybe some work to the posi chunk itself, etc etc...
    -Dean

7. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

I dont know if this will help but I remember an article in hot rod mag (cant remember if it was 68 or 69) where Article showed how James Wiabel (not sure about last name spelling) built up tri5 rears using 8 3/4 chrysler spider gears and axles, and he modifyed caps to be stronger according to artile it worked

8. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

9. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

This same guy just recently destroyed :rolleyes: this rear in his NHRA 409/409 C and D stock class car because he is against runnng a 12 bolt. Im sure it would live in a small block Jr. stocker.

10. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

11. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Or with an auto trans; but hey, what do you expect with a concrete strip liberally coated with VHT or whatever brand traction compound they use?

[​IMG]

Here's a cool video of this '62 "road testing/tuning prior to heading to Medicine Hat. This is a ride in the car, viewed from behind the roll bar!"

http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/mybelairmay112005roadtest.mpg

and another clip from outside the car, on the highway:

http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/mybelairaug252005roadtestwatching.mpg

Pete

12. capsgs

capsgs
    from Ohio

Guys I would think if you want to have fun with these old cars, nostalgia racing is the only way. Keep all the sanctioning bodies out of it and it will be smooth, fun and affordable. With the current nostalgia craze I could forsee a Nostalgia Stock class working. Book into shows with the N/SS, gassers etc. Besides most of us couldn't race on a regular basis anyway. It would be fun to run 5-10 shows a year.

BTW Pete, that is some cool stuff right there!!!!

Cap

13. Any of you Jr Stock HAMBers going to Vargo Reunion ?

14. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

15. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

Wouldn't miss it! Been there every year to see all the other old guys. Lots of good memories from Vargo.

16. BELAIR1957

BELAIR1957
    from PA

What class would my 1957 Chevy 4dr BelAir have run in. It has the orginal 283 block and heads 69 z28 carb and intake stock profile z28 cam, muncie m22 trans,456 rear dales 57 2.JPG

17. Dmystix

Dmystix

Modified Production.

18. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Nostalgia races and bracket races. Modified Production classes do not exist anymore. What has replaced them is high dollar specialized race cars. :cool:

19. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Yep my pop and i are going... i look forward to it!

20. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  21. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Around here they had classes that were also "Modified Stock" (M/S). I can't remember for sure but they were for cars that weren't as modified as the modified production or gas class cars. I don't know if that was a regional thing or what the deal was. I only remember a couple of cars running in it but they were in with the modified eliminator cars. This was back in the very early sixties in central Ohio. I only remember them from about the first couple of years I went to the races. Seems like you could "hop up" the motor but not add any scoops or things of that nature.

22. Dmystix

Dmystix

MP was tongue in cheek, of course, referring to the past tense of the question.

23. Some "In-Bomber" info I just learned, some of which may be interest to WagonKiller and Sinistri!

Firstly, the entire car, inside and out, was sandblasted when it was being prepared for competition, making the metal thinner than stock and weighing less. Days were spent cleaning the sand out so no NHRA tech inspectors would know.

I would like to confirm the following, but according to Ken Nelson, after the stock classes had been won, the "In-Bomber" ran against George Cureton's "Tokyo Rose" in the second to last round of Top Stock Elminator at the '68 NHRA Nationals. The Rose was given a handi-cap start but lost to the "In-Bomber", who advanced on to the final round of Top Eliminator against Larry Lombardo's "Buckshot". Larry won the race and the honor of Top Stock Eliminator, the "In-Bomber" being runner-up....I'm wondering if someone out there might have a breakdown on paper of the Top Eliminations just to confirm this???

Also of interest, the "In-Bomber" did not run a Line-Lock during this time, but rather a fabricated "hand-brake" the consisted of a rod that pivited off the pedal and ran up to the column, then a horizontal lever with handle that you would push down to hold the brake. The holes in the brake pedal lever are still there.

-Dean

24. Just checked around and it looks like Bob Duell's Dodge wagon was the Top Eliminator runner up?? Ken's memory is pretty sharp but it was a long time ago :D Anyone have an actual break down of who raced who at eliminations in the '68 Nationals?
    -Dean

25. VIC GUILMINO

VIC GUILMINO

this weekend is a stock and ss race at mason and dixon sat test and tune and sun race all ihra and nhra cars and trucks sat night is a dinner for all see me for details.
    x tech man come on up
    vic guilmino gt/ga 1460 super stocker

26. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

"Also of interest, the "In-Bomber" did not run a Line-Lock during this time, but rather a fabricated "hand-brake" the consisted of a rod that pivited off the pedal and ran up to the column, then a horizontal lever with handle that you would push down to hold the brake. The holes in the brake pedal lever are still there.

-Dean "

Are you talking about something like this????
    [​IMG]

Must have been a little BUSY on the starting line.....:rolleyes:

27. That's exactly it! Wouldn't happen to have any close ups? I have to replicate this now :D
    -Dean

28. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I have heard of guys with automatics adding a second brake pedal to act as a line loc, would this have been something done in the 60's to stockers? Henry

29. YORK NOSTALGIA SHOW/ JUNIOR STOCKERS

With the coming holidays I am sure that we all have other things on our minds other than the York show in July '10.
    Please keep in mind if you are planning to attend with a car now is the time to register. Even if the car is not 100% done or it is in original or shabby original condition it would still be appreciated by others.
    If you are having problems with your printer P/M me and I will send you the form.
    If any one either going to the show with a junior stocker or just attending the show would like to be a "Silver Sponsor" contact me and I will explain what is involved.
    Remember the top fuelers and the funny cars are what drag racing is about now, but the "JUNIOR STOCKERS" are the back bone of all that now makes up the different drag racing venues.
    Our love and dedication to the sport is what brought racing to what it is today and for that reason we must continue the "JUNIUR STOCK" tradition. You can help with this by supporting Darwin's York Nostalgia Show and then join us all the next day at Bob McCardel's Beaver Springs Dragway.
    I am looking forward to meeting many of you in july.

Dom

30. Amen to York Jr Stockers, this show need some FRESH cars inside and folks would love to see cars "as found" or under restoration. Register now before it fills up.