Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to take the dash of a 66 falcon?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by purdyyj, Dec 7, 2010.

1. purdyyj

purdyyj

I know this is a dumb questions but I would rather ask and not brake something then not and brake something. How do you take the dash of a 66 falcon. If you have a schematic pic of the dash that would help a ton. Thanks for any help

2. hotroddaddy

hotroddaddy
    from jax, fla

I could be wrong, but i dont think you can! Ford liked to weld the dashes in.My 60 falcon was welded in.

seb fontana likes this.
  3. YOU DON'T, it's part of the structure holdin' the doors on.

seb fontana likes this.
  4. Zip wheel is the only way I know to remove a Falcon Dash. HRP

seb fontana likes this.
  5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It is welded in..........but if you are determined.......you might start by having the windshield removed and drilling out the spot welds around the dash perimeter...

Ray

seb fontana likes this.
  6. Torch.

JH

seb fontana likes this.
  7. purdyyj

purdyyj

well thats dumb. I saw those weld tabs didn't think it stop the dash from coming off and i can tell you right now something would have got broken In . thanks for the info

8. 65COMET

65COMET

I did it on a 65 Comet,I think that they are very similar,nothing collapsed or broke.You need to drill out all the spot welds,seems like a thousand, and cut a couple of welds plus detach any braces from under the dash.It is very time consuming but can be done. ROY.

9. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

why do you want to take your dash out?

seb fontana likes this.
  10. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Yeah, good question.

If the dash is being removed to replace it with a custom dash that's one thing. If it is being removed so that work on the area behind it can proceed, that's another thing.

But if the Falcon is just a donor car and the dash is being removed so it can then be used in another car (like a prewar coupe or sedan) that's another thing entirely.

11. 69fury

69fury

sorry for the long lost post reply from the past, but do you think you'd do this for a dash swap again, knowing what you know now? I have a 60falcon ex drag car that someone chopped the vertical face off the dash and only left the curved top. I now have a donor 4 door and either need to cut the good section off the donor and splice in or remove/swap the entire dash. both cars are currently gutted so work would be limited to cut/weld with no danger of collateral damage except for the windshield and frame distortion, etc.

Thanks,
    20191105_181219.jpg

2Blue2 likes this.
  12. BJR

BJR

Then drill out the spot welds on both cars and move the good dash to the good car and re weld.

seb fontana and 2Blue2 like this.
  13. 69fury

69fury

I will take a good look at it. I guess i'm a bit nervous as i'm just a hobbyist and not an experienced metal worker that easily fixes mistakes. i have a spot weld cutter bit that i've never tried out. and i'm hoping it can all be done without removing the glass

14. brando1956

brando1956

I would remove the glass. It's a hassle but I've seen glass broken in the course of a build like this. Grinder sparks can take glass out or pit it. I had a glass sunroof panel leaned against the garage wall outside on the grass. It was in the sun with the white garage wall behind it so was hot. I picked it up and set it gently on the concrete floor on edge and it shattered. Auto glass is pretty tough but it's risky to use tools around it. One slip and you're buying a windshield. That being said, I don't envy you the job of getting it out without breaking it.
    If it can be replaced for a reasonable price, it may be worth a gamble when it could get broke just taking it out. Got any friends who are glass guys? You might find someone at a glass shop who wants to make a few bucks on the side . You might also get one of the mobile glass installers to take it out and put it back in. I wouldn't tackle doing it myself unless I had some real good help.

69fury likes this.