Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 Ford control arm bushing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stangnutz, Dec 20, 2010.

1. stangnutz

stangnutz

Ok, so this maybe a stupid question but I am in the process of redoing the front suspension on a 50 Ford and am trying to figure out why the bushings have grease zirks on them, I do not see any holes in the bushing where it lubricates the bushing between it and the control arm, is it just supposed to come out the inside threads and just lubricate the small area by the seal on the inside? Or have the bushings just wore enough that the holes are gone? I did notice there was some galling on the first threads of the outside of the bushing, is that normal?

2. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

the zirks are for the grease gun

3. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

He knows that they are for grease. They are for greasing the inside pivot points but I can not remember how they work. With out seeing them.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Without seeing it, usually you want the grease between the bushing and the shaft where the movement actually takes place. The bushing should not spin in the control arm so it needs no lubrication in that area. The bushing moves with the control arm.

5. stangnutz

stangnutz

Thanks, that makes sense now, must have been one of Fords "better ideas".