Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to make a 289 in a 289hi?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by purdyyj, Jan 24, 2011.

1. purdyyj

purdyyj

How would I make my stock 289v2 in to a 289hi? I know I cant make it have the wider main journals but beside from that what would I need to do to make the same power has a hi-po?
    also i would like to keep it a 289 or close. I don't want to make it a stroker

2. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

the best book for you to find the answers your looking for is Fords Off Highway Program book they put out in the early 70's. It has all the part numbers and how too your looking for. you can sometimes find it on e-bay.

3. M.Edell

M.Edell

You can get alot more than the 271HP the Factory "K" Code 289 got.A nice set of Aluminum Heads,Cam,Exhaust,ignition, will get you over that mark.It all depends on how fat your wallet is and how fast you wanna go.

4. M.Edell

M.Edell

5. HERE is the cam

I've built two "backyard" HiPo's (one was a 302 actually) with the above solid lifter cam and
    a aluminum hi-rise intake and long tube headers would buzz to 6000 easily and dependably.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  6. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

The block had a higher "nodularity content" and the crank had an extra counterweight on the front. Thicker rods and rod bolts too. Will you get yours to stay together without all that? I honestly don't know enough to say, but it's worth keeping in mind that you're building a packaged designed for an especially beefy (for a small-cube smallblock) shortblock.

7. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

yes as far as doing it you could , but as stated above the trouble of finding the parts would cost a fortune , cheaper easier ways to get hp out of an engine nowadays ! roller camshaft good set of aluminum heads and a few other tricks will get you the hp your after !

8. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

In this current market which tends to go for stroker roller cam setups squeezing a lot of power out of a 2 bolt main nothing particularly special 289 is an inefficient way to spend your cash. You can pick up a stroked 408 that unboxes 425 HP for 6 grand. To get a 289 to pull that hard would cost a lot more money. In the end the engines look nearly the same. You simply cannot over come the benefit of having an extra 120 cubes without making the engine very radical and less reliable. Fuel economy will be nearly the same or worse for the 289 per HP generated. You would end up spending a ton of money girdling the bottom end, using specialty rods and pistons etc just to get to the 425. Far easier to just build the 289 2 bolt as a 9.5-1, 600 cfm, .490 cam runner with a nice set of modern hi flo heads attached. Or go 351w stroked.

9. M.Edell

M.Edell

A Stroker would be a wise investment.Had a 347" in a 67 Falcon, and that car just plain Hauled! You can dress it up to look like a Factory Hi-PO if thats what you are going for.

10. 65COMET

65COMET

If you are just about keeping it a 289 and getting good power and looking the part there is nothing wrong with a stock 289 crank and rods.I have raced small block Fords for over 40 years,the first 25 were with a .030 289.You can find dual plane manifolds,for the look,at swap meets or web sites.I would suggest an aftermarket,street type head and a solid lifter cam[for the solid lifter vibe of a HP],a carb that looks the classic part,would be a holley vacumn secondary type,around 650cfm.You could use a MSD or Mallory centrifical distributor with a black cap.The hipos used chrome air cleaners and chrome valve covers,both available new,the covers won't clear big rockers but there are spacers available or you could run Comp Cams roller tip rockers. JMO,ROY.

11. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

what exactly are you going for ? good streetable motor , ocasional strip ! 289s are good little engines , you should be able to get some decent power out of it with out going to extremes ! i have a 289 in my 76 bronco that suprises alot of people , 30 over forged pistons good cam a little port work on the stock cast heads , and a good dual plane intake ! its a pretty heavy rig and i run it at the track ocasionally ! the thing screams ! on the other hand as stated if your going for some real power its hard to beat a stroker for the money and it can be dressed period correct and virtually undetectable !

12. Judd

Judd

Get one of the engine "top kits" like Edelbrock and others sell. My friend is looking at one for his 302 powered 64 Falcon $1,400 with heads,cam,timming set, gaskets all balanced to work together.

13. purdyyj

purdyyj

Im looking for a good street motor but i want to take it to the strip every now and then. Im looking for a round 250-300 hp i want to keep it 289 becuase know one uses them there all stroked or 302's

14. Not sure what you mean by "Wider Main Journals" as i have never seen anything that suggested that in my 35+ years of building small block Fords. The main CAPS were beefier but there was no difference in the bearings. The blocks, although some claim were a higher nickel content carried the same casting numbers at the standard 2 BBL 289's so that is highly unlikely and only speculation. The heads were a bit different, but mainly in having studs for the rockers and the spring locating cups - otherwise they were identical as well. Intake manifold was standard 4 BBL.
    The crank had a Bob weight on the front and lighter weights on the rest of the counterweights to help combat crank flex. The harmonic balancer was larger, like a 1970's style. The lower timing gear was unique because of the bobweight. The truth is non of this really made any difference in practical use. The rods had 3/8" bolts instead of 5/16 but you can upgrade to this anyway. A couple of oil galleys had screw in plugs instead of press in. The distributor was a dual point non vacuum which wasn't the best for street use anyway.
    The bottom line is there is no real mystery or benefit to starting with a real HiPo as they weren't all that trick.
    So to build a look a like, get a factory 4 BBL manifold, the dress up kit and you're good to go.

15. 61falcon

61falcon

I vote stroker. i have a 302 bored and stroked to 331 and am very happy with it.

16. 26 roadster

26 roadster

you can't make a 289 into a K code hipo. you can make one as good as a hipo and probable better. My 289 .030, SVO heads, lunati solid lifter cam, balanced, hi rise w/ AFB, duraspark w/ MSD, polished rod w/ ARP bolts is making more HP than a K code but is not a hipo. Its just a 289

17. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

In the end anything can be done. It's not that you can't do it, it's not that you should not do it, it's not that you should not want to run a 289 and be proud of it. In the end it all comes down to money versus expectation. If you want to run a respectable time that is out of reach of the basic mods that this power platform will readily provide than it will cost extra money to move you towards your expectations. In the end you will have to do a straight forward reality check. You can calculate how much Hp it is going to take to get your car down the track at X speed. If you are happy with that you are realistic, if not then you have a problem that yes money can solve but most likely should not. You can use power adders but not any truly crazy amounts, your bottom end is not going to support it, you would have to run cast pistons as well. It really should not be that difficult to obtain your HP range of 250 to 300 with a cam and a set of heads or even some modest work to a stock set of heads. They are a nice little engine and run very well within their intended range of operation.

18. Deuces

Deuces

Keep an eye out for '64 Fairlanes... Some of those came out with the K-code 289 hi-po motor as well..

19. Huey!!
    Remeber these words " Watch this baby rev! Waaaaaaaaaaa bang !!

20. mustangsix

mustangsix

With even a mild hydraulic roller cam and some good aftermarket heads, a 289 should be way over 271HP. Probably closer to 400 hp.

21. Of course you can. The main caps aren't that hard to find, the cranks are pretty rare but do pop up. The block casting was no different, used HiPo heads are out there ( I sold a set a couple of years ago when i wanted to go faster). So why can't you if you really want to?

22. jamn47

jamn47

The guys are right. It doesn't take much to get a 289 over 300hp. Alittle compression,cam and headwork. My Dad runs a 314" small block that pulls like a Bear in his 63 Futura. It's a 9.5 compression motor with 1963 260 heads that are ported and have GT-40 valvetrain. I gave him a Victor Jr for it and he runs a 750 Vac Sec carb. This motor screams and just keeps pulling harder as you get into it. He added the new BOSS 302 valve covers. It's just a clean motor with not much fuss, he also runs a Comp Cams Thumper in it.

Attached Files:

23. purdyyj

purdyyj

i done not want to get heads would like use a cam and to work to the stock heads,headers, iginton and a good intake would that get me to 300?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  24. 26 roadster

26 roadster

yea, Bill Hogue's garage, drunk, dropped a valve
    Alcohol was involved!!!

25. purdyyj

purdyyj

Was just looking at a Edelbrock power package for the top end my qeustion is what would I have to do to make the bottom end stand up to the power from the top end?

26. jamn47

jamn47

Like 26 roadster said, he has polished rods and good ARP hardware. The 289 has a stout bottom end. I had one years ago in a 66 Fairlane with 12.5 pistons .060 over tunnel ram, holleys and a four speed. It had a 577 lift custom CROWER in it. That motor would turn 6800 all the time with stock rods and crank. It never let me down. Always invest in good rod and main bolts no matter what. My brother now owns the Fairlane, he has a 521 Stroker in it.

27. purdyyj

purdyyj

If I bore .030 I will have to get new pistons right?

28. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Purdyyj - reading your questions, I'm of the opinion that you need to do a bit more reading about engines and how they work. If after two pages of "back and forth" here, you still ask if you need new pistons if you bore the block, you need to go back to school, not start writing checks for items you obviously do not understand. Get a basic engine book - something on 'how to hot rod your small block Ford' or somesuch name. Look on Ebay...or Amazon... you don't seem to have sufficient grasp of how to improve performance, volumetric efficiency, if you put larger carb, what else to you have to do, if you put in a performance cam what else is required. All this information is available from books and other sources. Don't try to reinvent the wheel till you find out what "round" means.

dj

29. jamn47

jamn47

Thanks Propwash! I was getting a Migrane.