Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Living On...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Heart Of Texas

Heart Of Texas
    from TX

Ryan, your decision to let the HAMBers glimpse into your exchange with this fellow says tons about the spirit of Hot Rodding and fellowship you possess.

2. Strikes a nerve with me because my older son just turned 16 and the younger will be 13 soon, and the relationship with their mother. Wish I had as much influence on them as my dad had with me.
    Also makes me thank for backbreaking hard all day long work as a kid helping my dad, because it has made a big influence on how I work today, NOT AFRAID OF WORK.
    My dad just turned 72 recently. Thoughts about that too..............................

3. Mac_55

Mac_55

Wow , What a great post.

4. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Great piece!!! Very well wrote! Thanx again Ryan for all that you give to Us!

5. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

all the more reason this site is so special

6. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Ryan,

You once said something to the effect that this forum and the Jalopy Journal had become something more than you had ever envisioned. I think it's fair to say that this place is alive, having a spirit and heartbeat of it's own.

That, my friend, is something you should be very proun of. This young man's letter is proof.

Carry on.

7. madhman

madhman

makes you think this more than a website about some old cars....

thanks Ryan

8. exactly what i was thinking,

what a great way for this guy to reconnect with his dad.

9. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Life sure is crazy
    So great that he was able to get ahold of the posts

10. Simply awesome. Thanks man.

11. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Wow.

This is a powerful post Ryan. You have a good way of painting a picture with words; so did the son whos email you copied.

I have two parents that are both alive but have not spoken to in years. Ours was a really messed up family. I often say that my sister and I are the start over generation; having left the insanity of the family we were raised in and set out in the word only to have families of our own. I work hard to have the family and home life that I did not have myself. I take time to be a part of my kids lives and let them know I love them every day. Someday they may be reading my words on the H.A.M.B. after I,m gone too.

This post makes me reailize that we have a big responsibility to be the people we want to be and say the things that need to be said while we and our loved ones are still here. It also makes me realize that we need to be very purposful and deliberate in what we put out on the internet. I for one want to leave a positive mark on the world and I think about how these posts we send out into the eithers will live on long after we hit "send" and perhaps long after we are gone.

Thanks for being the steward of this thing called the H.A.M.B. It has taken on a life of its own and I bet you are surprized at the little gifts that come to you. Gifts like this young man's email.

Truly priceless.

12. Mark

Mark
    from CT

Dude...why do you have to go get me all teary eyed as i sit here drinking a beer ???

Great post........

13. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

Thank you for this post Ryan,
    I lost my dad in 2002. I still have the answering machine from his shop. I break it out every once and a while and listen to his voice. The hardest part for me is realizing all of his experience and intellect and ability is....just gone. I can kick myself when I remember all the times I blew off spending time will him to go out with my friends or with some girl who probably doesn't remember what I look like. Yeah, I learned a lot from my dad. He taught me how to use power tools, how to weld, how to visualize things before a project, how to rebuild rather than buy new, and how to think things through with machines as well as in my personal life. The best thing he taught me was how to be a man. Even though I learned a lot from him, I just scratched the surface of who he was and what he knew. I had the priviledge of spending a lot of time with dad, but it's never enough.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  14. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from so cal

Well said Ryan....gives us all some good food for thought.

15. GARY?

GARY?

Heart and soul.

16. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Wow. Its Like a time machine where you can go back and visit someone. you change it but you can see it. really trippy to think that deep into it but wow.

This hits home in a way for me. I have an 11 year old boy whom I want to always be closer with. we have our days where he is my best buddy and then we have days where we drive each other nuts. normal???? I dont know but it gives a bit of insight on pushing maybe just a little and not too much.

Thanks Ryan for sharing and to He who shall not be named! This was a great read.

17. As per above in so many ways.

This thread covers alot of different but powerful elements, that mean different things to different people, but all on a deep personal level.

As touched on above, one thing that has taunted me of late, and hopefully this thread is an affirmation of sorts to 'make it count', and to be more purpose orientated, speak wisely, and think before acting, and again, to strive to be a better person, for time is slipping by and I want to hit the ground running, hopefully others will feel the same too.

Cheers, and thanks Ryan for believing and creating a platform for us all,

Drewfus

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great story. This place is really special . . . Thanks Ryan for, among other things, having the insight to know how valuable the archives are!

19. 3ree 5trips

3ree 5trips

Favorite pics of my dad.

Attached Files:

20. GEISTERFAHRER

GEISTERFAHRER

This post really hit home for me as well. It makes me wish I could be at home turning wrenches with my Dad. I have been in Germany since 2003 for the Air Force and don't have that one on one father time I wish I could have. We BS on the phone for hours all the time about Hot Rods but its just not the same. Just makes me cherish the little time I do have when home on leave. Now I just need to get him to use the computer. Thanks for the great story Ryan its funny how stories like this stop you in your tracks and make you realizes certain things

21. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Wow, makes it all worth it in so many ways.

22. I usually don't post on threads that are non car threads. Not that I have a problem with them, but I usually come here just for the car stuff...But this one as others have said, well, really makes you think. I have not been on here much for the past couple years as my kids are of that age were they keep us running. I don't get to build in the garage as much, don't use the cars as much. Don't get to hang out with old friends as much. I guess it is part of the process of life. I never really thought about the possibility of generations searching back into the archives for a window of how we were. To think of the Hamb as a living history. Ryan, you were right to forward that letter to us, thank you and thanks to all the moderators that help make this possible! Long live the Hamb!

23. big bad john

big bad john

....Great story ....thanks for sharing it with us

24. kingpins

kingpins

awesome post....makes ya think alittle.....

25. Rand Man

Rand Man

This is great example of how modern means and methods (such as the message board and the 24-hour news cycle) have effected positive, parametric change on our society. History is recorded in real-time. These posts become a diary of thoughts and actions that may never have been recorded.

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

<object width="446" height="326"><param name="movie" value="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="bgColor" value="#ffffff"></param> <param name="flashvars" value="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/dynamic/DebRoy_2011-medium.flv&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/DebRoy-2011.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=1092&introDuration=15330&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=830&adKeys=talk=deb_roy_the_birth_of_a_word;year=2011;theme=how_we_learn;theme=a_taste_of_ted2011;theme=words_about_words;theme=new_on_ted_com;event=TED2011;&preAdTag=tconf.ted/embed;tile=1;sz=512x288;" /><embed src="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf" pluginspace="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" bgColor="#ffffff" width="446" height="326" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashvars="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/dynamic/DebRoy_2011-medium.flv&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/DebRoy-2011.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=1092&introDuration=15330&adDuration=4000&postAdDuration=830&adKeys=talk=deb_roy_the_birth_of_a_word;year=2011;theme=how_we_learn;theme=a_taste_of_ted2011;theme=words_about_words;theme=new_on_ted_com;event=TED2011;"></embed></object>

skip to the 17 min. mark for a very pertinent point.

27. rcr81

rcr81

Great post, really hits home how things don't seem important to you when your young, like it'll always be there, but how important they become when your older. Also puts some pressure on ya to not look stupid when you post on here....I'm in trouble.

28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Just catching up on old posts.
    Just think Ryan...someday your little ones will be reading your day to day activities and posts from this creation you call the Hamb.
    Said it hundreds of times... Thank You.
    Rick

My Great Grandfather and his Gas Station

Attached Files:

29. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

thanks for posting that ryan.