Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ideas for my '41 Plymouth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zombiesarebad, Mar 16, 2011.

1. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

hoping for some ideas and advice from the more refined and/or creative amongst us. :)

I've been thinking a lot lately about the front fascia treatment on my 41 Plymouth and what to do with it. I'm not crazy about the original look of the front, in fact I actually bought it (in pieces) believing it to be a '40. So being that i've already started down Custom Road, I think I want to do something completely different BUT keep it tasteful. I like customs, but not radical customs... what I mean is the changes can be radical but I don't want the car to look radical. Am I making sense? It's been a long day.

if you'd throw some ideas at me i'd be much obliged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

here's a photoshop done by James D of what it will look like from the side.

[​IMG]

as far as my own thoughts, I've considered a tall Packard or Lasalle type of grille... but I'm not sure about the open space that would leave between the grille and headlights. Might look wierd... as far as headlights I think some late 30's Ford/Lincoln lenses might look good. What do you guys think?

3. gwarren007

gwarren007

Maybe a modified '40 chevy grill?

4. farmer12

farmer12

I honestly don't think the 41 grill looks bad at all. This is the look I'm going for. Good luck in deciding!

Attached Files:

5. The 41 Plym. is one of the Mopars that is a keeper. Stay with it!!!

6. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

hmm... you guys really like it? To me it has a wierd "smiley face" kind of look to it. Does anybody else see that or am I just crazy?

7. farmer12

farmer12

I see a smiley face and a heart.....still looks good and different.

8. Myergens

Myergens
    from Fargo

This is my attempt to imagine my 1941 special deluxe as a speedster. Shorten it, put on a ragtop and a 440 I suppose.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

If you like the 40 grill better, put one of those in it. I would think 39-42 should swap in with a little modification to the hood or fenders. 39 was still the tall and narrow look for the grill, so maybe something tall and narrow could be made to work. 38s still had the lights on top of the fenders, and the 46-48 nose had a different hood setup, so those would require more work. Food for thought. Gene

10. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

If you change it up, let me know, I need a hood for a 41 Plymouth. I went back and forth over changing the front end... but I think they look great. Just riding hoodless. I am going to change the headlights eventually though.

11. Just hashed this together. 41 Willys headlamps, a bit of de-chroming and reshaped the bottom of the grille (you´ll have to remake the chrome surround). Looks a little more aggressive.

[​IMG]

12. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

James, i owe you for two of these now. Thanks, I am speechless. Really.

It looks amazing... i know what to do now....

13. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

i've got an extra hood. I imagine it would cost an arm and a leg to ship it cross country, but if you want to pay for shipping i'd give you a fair price on it. PM me if you're interested. :D

14. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

What about shortening the hood a little and tilt the grill back some to flow into it?

15. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

The '41 Plymouth has one of my favorite front ends.:)

[​IMG]

16. Me too! I love the look of the '41 Plymouth front end. In fact it's one of my favorites! Much nicer than my '41 Ford in my opinion.

17. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

My 1st car was a '41 Special Deluxe coupe - w/a black brushed paint job - had enough chip & tar under it to resurface a drive way. We had to find a pair of doors and a trunk lid to replace the rusted out ones on the car. Well looked all over 3 states and all we could find was a '40 coupe. The '41 is a much better looking car and as a mild custom you can't beat it.
    Good luck with it and enjoy.

18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with the "leave it alone" crowd. The '41 grill is cool, like it is. Work on some other features but leave that one.

19. thinkfink

thinkfink

I can see the smiley face...but there is nothing wrong with it. I'll do my 41 like the Japanese on shown above. But to each his own...

but on Rikster's site are examples of a '47 with a packard and a chevrolet grille...maybe that helps to find your solution
    http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_...ike/plymouth_custom_cars/johnnys-1947-plymou/

20. thinkfink

thinkfink

That chrome surround is paper thin...so if you go down that route, better start with something from scratch...

21. I'm with Al Consoli and Saxman, the '41 has a great look. I have a '46 and a '39 coupe, the one I wish I had is a '41.

22. Janne

Janne

I like ´41 Plymouth too, one of the best 40's Mopars.

23. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

If you change let me know. My Dad needs new chrome for his. And I dig the grill too.

24. Coupe Crazy

Coupe Crazy
    from LI, NY

This is what I'm doing with mine....I think.

I swiped this picture off the net, photoshopped alternate bars off the grille, and the three horizontals. I am also going to remove the hood emblem, and black out the wheels, but I was losing patience with the photoshop process.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  25. stamierdodge

stamierdodge

it may be a smile but when the cars slammed i think it turns into a devilish grin

26. Valtin

Valtin

Sky's the limit. HAMB has some nice 41 Plymouth builds. Each is unique and most mods are brilliant. I think the grill defines the car. So my two cents is keep the spirit of the original look and use subtle mods. Here's an idea I haven't seen on a 41 Plymouth. extend and define center forward with a slope going down and back into the car. Making the line more aggressive. Maybe a positive 1 inch on the top and a negative 1/2 in toward the bottom. It would pick up the feel from the hood ornament. I agree with stamierdodge about the devilish grin.