Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 mercury comet tranny problem please help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rosser, Apr 1, 2011.

1. rosser

rosser

I recently acquired a '60 comet for my old lady. When I drove it home the trans shifted great no hiccups nothin ran like a top did 65 mph 40 miles home. The next morning the old lady got in it to drive and got up to 30 and wouldn't shift to 2nd. I bought it from a guy who drove it 3times a week to work and round trip was 60 mi. It has a 65 mustang 200ci and the stock 2sp ford-o-matic.

Thanks fellas

2. 31Hudson

31Hudson

Check the fluids and make sure the vacuum line didn't come off at either trans or carb.

3. rosser

rosser

It seems that there is no vacuum lines on a 60 ford or merc omatic I guess that started in 61. There is a line that comes off of the trany to a bracket on the block that has a shraeder valve in the end of it but it doesn't connect to anything

4. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

my 60 fordo is the same

check to see if you broke a motor mount or trans mount

have to ask is the fluid level correct 3\4 quart low mine acts up

the linkage that goes from the throdel linkage to the trans
    adjustes the pressure in the trans which effects the shifting
    if the motor moves it will change that linkage location affecting the shifting
    the shrader valve is for setting the line pressure in the trans

a shop manual can help in adjusting this

PAul

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Does the speedometer work? I say this because the gear that spins the cable might have broken off and screwed up the governor. If it does work, then great. But aside from the TV linkage adjustment, which should be ok if it worked the night before, the governor could be defective or have some dirt in it. Another thing, either the direct drive clutch or it's piston seal could be defective too. The trans will sound like it is in neutral after the shift should have taken place. A sticky valve in the valve body could also be the cause. But first check fluid levels. Dropping pan would also give you an idea where the problem is.

6. rosser

rosser

Every time I hook air up to it right after it shifts perfect but if it sits for a few hours it stops shifting

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011