Register now to get rid of these ads!

fordomatic trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimV57, May 10, 2011.

1. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

Does anyone know where I can get a torque converter for a 1964 Fordomatic 3 speed? I'm having a bit of a time finding the bugger. Or possibly if a TC from a C6 would work. Its a 1.87 (or there abouts) size input shaft. I can't remember the exact specifics, but if need be I can look at the trans again if ya need more info.
    Thanks guys

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Fordomatics where gone in 64. Replaced by C4 and FMX (cruiseomatic). If it is an FMX, you should be able to find a converter somewhere out the in FURD land. C4 converters can be had from aftermarket sources.

3. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

the pan matches that of a fordomatic, not the fmx or c4. I'll do some more calling around and see if teh fmx or c4 converter will fit

Thanks

4. Yeti Man

Yeti Man
    from NorthTexas

Try Broader Performance; The dude knows ford transmissions.

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I would think the FMX converter might fit, since it is a clear ascendent of the Furdomatic. I know the Furdomatic had three sizes, probably the FMX has more than one size. So keep that in mind when looking for a converter. You may be able to go by the shape and size of the pan.

6. RichG

RichG

Try someplace that specializes in Mustangs, my wifes '64 1/2 had the fordomatic, I bench pressed it in and out a few times.

7. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

tell me about it...that bloody thing is better than a boat anchor...lol

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

So your wife's 64 1/2 had a Fordomatic? We are talking about P R N D L on the shift quadrant, right? There were two Fordomatics, first one was actually a 3 speed automatic, the second one (all aluminum case) was a 2 speed automatic. The second style was used in Falcons, Comets, and some Edsels.

9. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

mine is cast iron and it does have 3 speeds

10. RichG

RichG

Yes to the first, it was the three speed automatic. The only reason I know what it was is because I had to pull it out and pay for the rebuild(s).:p

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Curious, when you say 64 1/2, what model and engine was this?:confused:

12. RichG

RichG

Mustang, and it had a 289 in it, not the original engine.

13. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

Broader Performance didn't have anything and were little help. All they said was, "They are unique..."

14. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

I'm beginning to wonder if I will have to use the old TC...

15. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I have the one off the 63 automatic I just pulled. Would that work?

16. keithreid

keithreid

I have one that's in a cast iron transmission, came off a 49-53 flathead engine and I have no idea what kind of shape it's in. Probably not in the best of shape, the engine had sat outside long enough that the plastic covering it had disintegrated and I wound up using a block of wood and a hammer to get the pistons out of the block (after using a 4" grinder with a cutting disk to cut the rods so I could get the crank out).
    I don't even know enough about ford transmissions to know it it's the same thing, or how many speeds the transmission has. Damn thing weighs a ton though.
    Y'all have a good day, Keith

17. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

Blades, I'm not sure. That's part of my problem, I'm not sure what would work or fit if I went with something other than the specific. I was a bit surprised that Broader Performance was of so little help.

Question: Would the old TC work if cleaned up, i.e. new fluid and such? I'm not really sure why it wouldn't be in good enough shape. The car was running before I took the engine and trans out of it...how well, though, I'm not sure.

18. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Have you checked on an FMX converter? They should be plentiful in the "pick up your parts" yards! Bet they fit to a tee. Remember the Fordo was Cruisos (or FMX's) descendent. Find a yard that has some FMX's around. They should look somewhat like your Fordo (Aluminum bell, extension housing). Bring your old converter to match up.

19. tommyganly

tommyganly
    from seaford de

i would try TCI or Summit Racing

20. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

I have tried both places. I am thinking I might find a compatible one with the same specs...hopefully

21. john81

john81

Find a old trans. rebuilder. My stock 66 studebaker that came with a chevy 283 & borg-warner cast iron 3 speed trans. i.e. fordmatic had to be rebuilt & they took hard parts out of 53 ford trans. They replaced inpute shaft & plant gears out of ford trans.

22. bigdav160

bigdav160

Are you near a big city? There might be a converter rebuilder near you.

We have one about 20 miles away.

Edit, is this a bolt together converter? I have a '53 Ford trans and the converter disassembles.

23. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

FMX! Talk to a reputable transmission shop about using an FMX converter, which should be plentiful still.

24. Master of None

Master of None

If you plan on sticking with the pre-65 289 you will have to stay with the cruze-o-matic. It has a 5 bolt block. I would check around for old galaxies and Fairlane's 63 and newer. Most of them had 260's but the mid year's had the "new" 289. The only other option, would be to find a 5 bolt c-4 bell housing form a 64 1/2 mustang then you can get a more modern trans. Check www.mustangsunilimited.com I think they might have one.

25. Master of None

Master of None

Sorry I called it a cruse o matic your right its a ford o matic. The shift patter in different too. It actually goes P R N 2 D 1. On the Mustangs its park reverse neutral white dot green dot 1st. White dot starts in second, green dot starts in 1st then goes through all the gears.

26. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Confusion! What you describe is a Cruiseomatic, not a Fordomatic.

Fordomatics were single range units and had P R N D L, five positions as I count it.

And I am really trying hard to believe that there were ANY Ford o matics in 64. I believe you had the C4 (all aluminum) that in Mustangs had the white and green dots, later to change to PRND21. The other automatic was the Cast iron cruiseomatic, which later became the FMX (aluminum bell,extension housing). The C6 cruiseomatic did not come along till 66.

So with that said, I am going to look in my motors transmission manual and see if the old beast really was available in 64.

(I honestly believe that when the 292 y blocks went away (1962 I think), so did the Fordomatic (3 speed). The 2 speed Fordomatics were used up to 63 in the Falcons and Comets and possible Fairlanes and Meteors.)

27. Master of None

Master of None

What I'm running is a 63, 289. It is out of a 63 galaxy,it is in my truck in my avatar.It shifts like the cruise o matic you stated. Yes it is a 63 and a 289 you pull a valve cover and it has 289 stamped in the head. It also has the early oil fill tube timing cover and one piece water pump. The trans is a one piece cast aluminum part, with a pan fill dipstick.

28. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Well, 3 speed Fordomatics banished in 1962. In 1961 they were only used with the six cylinder engines.

2 speed Fordomatics were used from 59 to 63 and used on 6 and small v8's. These 2 speeds are a one piece aluminum case. In 1964 the C4 was introduced and was used with 6 and small v8s. C4 cases were all aluminum, but were 3 pieces, bell, main, and extension housing.

In 1958, Ford and it's sister companies started using the CAST IRON cruise-o-matic, which is a dual range 3 speed automatic. It had a d2 range that behaved like it's predecessor the 3 speed Fordomatic. It starts in 2nd and shifts to 3rd. But it also had a D1 range that started in 1st, then shifted to 2nd and then to 3rd. The early units 58-60 had manually (linkage) controlled throttle valves. 61 up went to a vacuum modulator. In or about 65, the bell housing and extension housing was then cast in aluminum. The main case still was cast iron. It was renamed FMX but still was referred to as cruise-o-matics.

So the original poster should let us in on what he really has: PRNDL or PRND2D1L. IF he has PRNDL, then he probably has the all aluminum 2 speed Fordomatic, especially if he has a small block v8.

Lastly, it sure looks like the 3 speed Fordomatic and the Cast Iron case cruise-o-matics (fmx's too) converters are interchangeable. But not the all aluminum 2 speed Fordomatic, and the C4/C6's.

Check with Fatsco or Northwest transmissions regarding torque converters they carry.

29. Master of None

Master of None

Dang thanks for the info d2 willys, never understood why Ford made things so complicated.