Register now to get rid of these ads!

fordomatic trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimV57, May 10, 2011.

1. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

Thanks for all the info guys. I will check and see if the specs as far as size and spline as the same for mine as they are for the FMX.

2. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

My son took a Fordmatic (It is an air cooled tranny anyway) out of his 64 Falcon, it was good when removed. If you need it shoot me a PM.

(It was behind a 6, don't know if it will work behind an 8 or not.)

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  3. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

39 all Ford,
    I'm not sure if its the same for a 6. This came out of a Lincoln that weighted almost 3 tons...lol but thank you kindly for the offer. I will do a bit more research to see if they would be the same.

4. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Well I have a tranny out of a 55 Lincoln as well, but for sure the converter can not be confused with any "modern style" converter. This one is a bolt together unit.

I can't remember the name Ford used for the bigger version of the Ford-a-matic used on 50s Lincolns.... Anyway, this is what I have.

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You have TURBO DRIVE, which is a heavy duty FORDOMATIC. In 58 Lincoln started using it's version of the cast iron CRUISE-O-MATIC, named properly TWIN TURBO DRIVE, which is a dual range unit (2 drive ranges).:eek:

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Your transmission is the newer style 2 speed, all aluminum one piece case FORDOMATIC. This is a different beast entirely from the old FORDOMATICS.:eek:

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Just for curiousity, how many actual shift positions (DETENTS) does your present transmission have? (5 would be Fordomatic, 6 would be Cruiseomatic or FMX):confused:

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Jim: 39allford has what you need (55 Lincoln transmission). That converter might just work for your application! Worth trying. See if 39allford can shoot some pics of the converter and possibly some dimensions so you could size up what you have. (Have him count the ring gear tooth count if the ring gear is part of the converter. I think it was part of the flexplate, but not sure) Hopefully it will work for you.