Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bad Banana Resurrection - 55 Chevy Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Banana, Aug 10, 2010.

1. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

You and your 'crew' have got to be very proud of the outcome. Well done sir. Good for you.

2. L78racer

L78racer
    from Michigan

Great thread. Besides Milan or Ubly where would you run it? Lapeer?

3. cooljunk

cooljunk

See you at Milan Saturday

4. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Lapeer was the plan this weekend but ain't no way. We drove by there yesterday and the water is everywhere. The flooding is starting to make me think we should have been building an ark instead if this ol' bomb. :rolleyes: I guess I shouldn't be complaining since it is nothing around here like what the folks in the Mississippi valley are dealing with. :eek:

That looks like the next opportunity. Forecast right now looks like it might be possible. I hope so since I am running out of time. :(

5. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Mac I was thinken the same thing. That pic gives me a feeling I cant explain just looken at it.:eek:

6. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Ok… just for fun, how about a little “Pass-time” (TV show). Who wants to make a guess on the fastest run for this car the first time out (i.e fastest run of the day)? The plan is to sneak up on it. Easy pass the first time just to see how it handles and feels and then, based on the results of that, will determine how much more coal I pour to it on the subsequent runs. If there is something wrong that is unrepairable at the track, we could be “one and done”. If not, we could be all out by the third or possibly forth run (if we get that many).

Just so you know, I have gone much faster than this car is capable of. I have run 8 teens in a dragster and 8.80 in my own door car to give you a sense of my personal racing experience. The car is a high compression 406 ci SBC with a Brodix 12 heads, roller cam (specs unknown), Crower alcohol injection manifold, MSD ignition. Horsepower is unknown but estimated in the 600hp range (probably +/- 50 hp). Powerglide with a trans brake, 1.80 first gear, about a 5000 stall 8” converter, 5.13 gear and 14.5 x 32 rear tires. Car weight is unknown but I have to believe it is somewhere between 2650 and 2800 lbs without driver. I weigh roughly 200 lbs. You want more details, read the whole thread…LOL ;)

Weather for this Saturday so far looks favorable for runs at Milan, MI with the Great Lakes Gasser group. Deadline for a guess is this Friday midnight. I did not scrap any old piece of this car during this build –up, so if someone hits it exactly, I’ll mail them a cool piece of the car that I cut off and saved along with the “winning” time slip (I’m thinking the top of the cowl I cut to make room for the injector stacks). Nobody gets it exactly (to the hundredth), closest one gets the time slip if they want it.

Any guesses? :D

fast30coupe likes this.
  7. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

9.70 is my guess.

Pass Time is one of my favorite shows. We actually went so far as to DVR the episodes, get a stack of ones and play it just like the show but 1$ for every 100 they won per round. by the 500.00 (5.00) round it would get pretty interesting!!

Scot

8. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Rusty, I am going conservitive so I think you are going to be 10.65, Not that it cant go faster but just first time out, looks like there will be 3 time runs to set the ladder and then eliminations so you should get 4 shots at it no matter what and hey, you might go all the way the first time out and that would be a great way to re-introduce the car.

Jon

9. cooljunk

cooljunk

10. lorodz

lorodz

11. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

10 oh's @ 130 once it's dialed.....

12. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

which -12's.....meaning intake port size
    cnc or hand ported?

Tony

13. Ramblur

Ramblur

I'm in @ 10.24. Congrats on a job well done. Gotta tell you it really takes
    me back to my misspent youth at Quaker City. I MUST see it at the track!
    (but for now I'll settle for pics)

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

10.73. I hope you'll have someone doing a video. This oughta be good!

15. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

They appear to be CNC.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Congrats on getting it back together. Now to explain why you are getting the comments to take it back to '68. This is the HAMB, that is why we come here. To see the old stuff as it was. That is what this site is about. The history you have shown is great, the working with your step son awesome. Making it live again for your dad is priceless. As for the moving forward that means making the car less HAMB friendly in a lot of eyes, mine included...

17. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister
    from Elkton, MD

I just read this entire thread and all I can say is WOW. This build is truly an inspiration. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

18. pregrid

pregrid

Dood, if you get banned from this site I will ban this site from my computer (not that anyone gives a rat's ass about me). what you've done here is absolutely fantastic, not just for you or your dad or your family, but for everyone who has followed this thread. Not to mention one lucky Chevy!! funny, I can't find a "rules" thread anywhere on here. Just sayin'

Dave

19. Wesley

Wesley

I like what you are doing with this project, not that my opinion accounts for much. You will never make everyone happy. What you did do is come up with a plan and see it through as well as documenting the journey for us all to see. Thank you.

20. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

It only takes 600hp in a 2500 lb car to run 145mph
    You can make 650 with a -12 on a 400 inch motor falling out of a tree

One of my personal 420 ci chevys made 735 in endurance trim with a set of 12's and a single four barrel

Even if the chassis is weak(60ft and traction)
    I'll still give ya a 9:99. :)

21. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

3000 lbs it takes 650 to run 140 mph at 9:70

I'll still stick with a 9:99 cause I think you'll make a little more than 650
    And figure old school chassis A little lazy so it'll mph better than the et will show
    And most of all ,and most important,
    It's yours, it's bad ass,it's a 55 chevy

And what's not traditional about a 55 drag car with history

Tony

22. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I truly don't believe that anyone really has a problem with any thing you've done to your car.
    Its a real race car, a vintage race car, thats been in your family for decades.
    You have 2500 pounds of pure tradition,
    red steelies, and flat black will never trump that.

23. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

24. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

And that's fine but it doesn't change what this site is about.

Like I said the history is great. As for the line, it's usually drawn somewhere in the mid 60's. It's mostly the stuff beyond that era that moves it out of this territory, like the wheels. Thats why they got mentioned. It's nothing against you or the car, and no one was saying don't post, the car has a rich history and the story is great.

26. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Well put.:)
    The car is very cool and looks like a blast to drive.

27. buds56

buds56

I would have to say 10.001 just to give you incentive to go faster!

Its been a long great thread, you had to expect a few ball busters
    Don't stop now, Bud

28. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

29. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

can everyone please SHUT UP and leave the poor guy alone. Go back to the original post and read the fact that he wanted to buiild this car and get it going as quick as possible so him and his elderly dad could enjoy it. Now get off his back

I think its a great build and a great car with lots of history. its one more old car ressurected and on the road again. let it be.