Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead blower... DONE!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 plymouth, Jul 18, 2011.

1. 34 plymouth

34 plymouth

FINALLY finished my 4-53 GM blower project. I attached it to my 1953 Mercury flathead.

I used my vintage Burns dual car manifold, and made an adaptor plate. I used a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum with the holes for the duel carbs. Drilled, then place the blower bottom opening over the two ports. I drilled the 4 holes and bolted it down with gasket.

I then purchased a small block chevy snout for a 4-71 Blower and coupling. To bolt to the front gear the holes had to be machined to line up with the holes in the gear. Next the housing to cover the gears and make up the space was machined out of a solid block of aluminum. I then took the blower to a local machine shop and installed hight speed sealed bearing.

Made a back cover out of Aluminum for looks only. Had a pulley made for a single belt to line everything up with the water pumps.

Next was the big project, the intake manifold. I used 2 1953 corvette carter side draft carbs. I finished it last week and it runs GREAT!! Total cost at the machine shop using my manifold was about $1800.00. The carbs were another 600.00. I'm going to try an attach a couple of pictures, but not being too computer savy. OK for the life of me I can't attach any pictures, keeps telling me I'm missing "security tokens", but I did manage to download them to an album, so you can see it if you go to the album section, it's titled 4-53 blower.

2. rschilp

rschilp

3. Tank

Tank

Cool looking roadster. I like the elephant! How well does the blower work?

4. 34 plymouth

34 plymouth

Hi,

It`s a bulldog on the cap.

The blower runs great. I took it on a 40 mile run,and the only
    problem was the vent on the front drive. I changed it to a more restrictive
    cap and it worked fine.

Thanks, Harold

5. A blown flathead in a '29 Whippet roadster?
    You sir, are my new hero. Nicely done.

6. Your nuts.
    I love it. I want it.